The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ruby1994
So confused
student and this is my first job about 8 hours a week
havent filled out any P46 or anything else
My first playslip I payed no tax and had the code 810l
I had only done 2 shifts though

810l is the standard tax code. Some people may have different codes due to having more than one job, etc.

If you're not being taxed, then you don't need to do anything.
All this tax stuff is confusing! How is it supposed to work when a past job you did you think you overpaid tax on because you had an emergency tax code throughout, and you don't work in that job anymore but you work in a new one now? Are you supposed to get a cheque from HMRC with the tax refund, or does it all get paid through the new employer?

I'm writing letters back and forth with HMRC, but all they seemed to have done is corrected my tax code on my current job and that's it. They're not being at all clear about the tax rebate, whether I'm due one or not or how exactly it all works. So annoying! I might have to call them this week to find out what's up.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
All this tax stuff is confusing! How is it supposed to work when a past job you did you think you overpaid tax on because you had an emergency tax code throughout, and you don't work in that job anymore but you work in a new one now? Are you supposed to get a cheque from HMRC with the tax refund, or does it all get paid through the new employer?

I'm writing letters back and forth with HMRC, but all they seemed to have done is corrected my tax code on my current job and that's it. They're not being at all clear about the tax rebate, whether I'm due one or not or how exactly it all works. So annoying! I might have to call them this week to find out what's up.

So long as the previous job (where you made the overpayment) was in the same tax year, the repayment comes via the payroll system along with your pay. If your tax code has been updated and your new employer has details of your total pay and Income Tax deductions from your previous job then everything should be in place for you to receive any appropriate refund.
Original post by Illusionary
So long as the previous job (where you made the overpayment) was in the same tax year, the repayment comes via the payroll system along with your pay. If your tax code has been updated and your new employer has details of your total pay and Income Tax deductions from your previous job then everything should be in place for you to receive any appropriate refund.

Yeah, they're both in the same tax year (2012-13). I gave my current employer a P46 when I first started there 2.5 months ago (my previous employer didn't send me my P45 on time), and I showed my P45 forms from both the job centre (I used to be on JSA) and from my previous job to HMRC. Hopefully that's enough information for them, yeah?

So the refund would come with my pay from my current job? See, I was finding that a bit odd that money from a different job would come through on this job. Would the tax refund money be coming directly from my current employer or from HMRC/the government?
Yeah, they're both in the same tax year (2012-13). I gave my current employer a P46 when I first started there 2.5 months ago (my previous employer didn't send me my P45 on time), and I showed my P45 forms from both the job centre (I used to be on JSA) and from my previous job to HMRC. Hopefully that's enough information for them, yeah?

So the refund would come with my pay from my current job? See, I was finding that a bit odd that money from a different job would come through on this job. Would the tax refund money be coming directly from my current employer or from HMRC/the government?

Your employer will pay you the refund, then offset that against the tax that they pay to HMRC as part of their monthly PAYE returns.

Is there a reason why you completed a form P46 rather than handing in your previous form P45 (which would be the norm)? Given that your new employer's not working from your P45 information, check your payslips to ensure that your cumulative pay and deductions are shown correctly. You should see any Income Tax refund shown on your payslip when it's paid, separate from your usual pay.
Your employer will pay you the refund, then offset that against the tax that they pay to HMRC as part of their monthly PAYE returns.

Is there a reason why you completed a form P46 rather than handing in your previous form P45 (which would be the norm)? Given that your new employer's not working from your P45 information, check your payslips to ensure that your cumulative pay and deductions are shown correctly. You should see any Income Tax refund shown on your payslip when it's paid, separate from your usual pay.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear in my previous post, but my previous employer took ridiculously long to send me a P45, about 2 months after I'd finished working for them. And I started my current job 2 weeks after finishing that previous job, so of course I didn't have have a P45 to give my new employer, so gave them a P46 instead.

Thanks for all the explanations :yy:. I have to admit, it's still a little confusing for me but I'm hopefully getting the hang of it. I should be getting paid at work this week or next so I'll see then if I get my refund in that payslip :smile:
Sorry if I didn't make it clear in my previous post, but my previous employer took ridiculously long to send me a P45, about 2 months after I'd finished working for them. And I started my current job 2 weeks after finishing that previous job, so of course I didn't have have a P45 to give my new employer, so gave them a P46 instead.

Thanks for all the explanations :yy:. I have to admit, it's still a little confusing for me but I'm hopefully getting the hang of it. I should be getting paid at work this week or next so I'll see then if I get my refund in that payslip :smile:

:yy: If it doesn't come through, let me know and I'll see if I can work out what's happened.
:yy: If it doesn't come through, let me know and I'll see if I can work out what's happened.

Hi. I haven't been paid this month yet, but I've just looked at my latest payslip online and it shows my pay as significantly much bigger than on my other payslips from this current job. Most of the income is over a grand of tax, which I assume must be my tax rebate. Providing this goes smoothly into my bank account later this month, then yay I am so happy I've finally managed to sort this :woo:. I really needed this as well for going travelling next month. Now I pretty much have enough money, I can relax. Again, thanks a lot for your help :top:
Hi. I haven't been paid this month yet, but I've just looked at my latest payslip online and it shows my pay as significantly much bigger than on my other payslips from this current job. Most of the income is over a grand of tax, which I assume must be my tax rebate. Providing this goes smoothly into my bank account later this month, then yay I am so happy I've finally managed to sort this :woo:. I really needed this as well for going travelling next month. Now I pretty much have enough money, I can relax. Again, thanks a lot for your help :top:

Excellent news! :biggrin:
hey illusionary, I got my wage slip :biggrin:

Got paid £1622.04 AFTER TAX.

Tax code of 810L CUMUL

Paye:107.40
NI D: 144.53
PENSION £131.30

The only thing that hasn't been taken out is my student loan so my question is are all these deductions correct...
Original post by ledleyking123
hey illusionary, I got my wage slip :biggrin:

Got paid £1622.04 AFTER TAX.

Tax code of 810L CUMUL

Paye:107.40
NI D: 144.53
PENSION £131.30

The only thing that hasn't been taken out is my student loan so my question is are all these deductions correct...

I can't immediately reconcile the exact numbers but yep, these look reasonable from a back of the envelope calculation. :yy: If you want to see my rough calculation, let me know. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Just to confirm my earlier post, I definitely got all that money including the tax refund into my bank account this morning. Result :biggrin:
Yeah can I see them please. Also how much student loan will
Usually be deducted
Yeah can I see them please. Also how much student loan will
Usually be deducted

Sure - see attached. Don't worry about the small differences as my calculation has to be a bit of an approximation, but you'll see that the numbers are about right.

You'd be best to ask about student loan deductions in the Student Financial Support forum.
(edited 11 years ago)
is this the amount of deductions i will get every month or will it be more
is this the amount of deductions i will get every month or will it be more

No, your deductions are likely to increase next month, assuming constant income. I've amended my attachment above. January, February and March 2013 should be approximately constant, then with the new tax rates for 2013/1, the personal allowance (for income tax) and primary threshold (for NICs) increase, so you can expect your deductions to fall slightly.
I don't get it why would I get taxed more
Next month though? And then why would it be less again. What's the new tax rate
Ur calcs have confused me too haha how much take home should I expect in next few months
I don't get it why would I get taxed more
Next month though? And then why would it be less again. What's the new tax rate

The first month of your new job has a form of 'catch up' - there's been a period during which you've not been earning at all, so you'll have build up some of the year's personal allowance in that period. You get the benefit of that in the first month.

The Income Tax rate isn't changing, but the annual threshold below which you won't pay tax is rising - from £8,105 to £9,440.

Ur calcs have confused me too haha how much take home should I expect in next few months

I only posted those because you asked for them specifically :tongue: Net income should be gross income (i.e., your income before deductions), less 'PAYE tax' and NICs (as above) and pension.
So what was my gross for
Next few months before deductions from your calcs again, thanks a lot for your help!

Latest

Trending

Trending