The Student Room Group

Stupidest video ever promoting global warming!

I have been bombarded with e-mails from my university advising everybody to turn off the heating an instead walk around in so many layers of clothing that you look like the michelin man.

Here is a copy of one of the e-mails:

" Hope you had a great Christmas and New Year break. The Student Switch Off campaign continues this term and we’re kicking off the year with a little challenge.

The first 15 people to post a picture of themselves dressed up as warm as possible on the University Eco-Power Rangers Facebook group will win a Fairtrade t-shirt worth £10 (see http://bit.ly/8IaLqS). The Michelin man/woman approach is definitely advocated!

Each layer you put on adds approximately 3 degrees Celsius of warmth so instead of whacking up the heating, why not put on a jumper first? This will also help to protect the 'penguin' in this video (http://bit.ly/5tnyBk) "

I don't want this to turn in to a political thread, but it is typical leftist thing to do.

Basically what the people who made this were thinking is that people in university accomodation know that they can't be charged extra for water/heating/etc that they use because they have already payed their set fees (which are higher than last year!). So what they have realised is that if they bombard students with a story about a penguin (not joking, literally, look at the video in the e-mail) and encourage the 'michelin man look' that people will use less heating and more of the money that students payed as fees will be profit. I'm currently sat in my room and as I write this I have jeans and a t-shirt on, and the heating is on, and I'm comefitable, and I also feel absolutely no concern whatsoever because I know that no penguins are going to die because I'm only wearing a t-shirt.

What do people think of this sort of thing, seriously?
Reply 1
I think it's ok. Sometimes the dumbest of things catch your attention the most.

How would you go about promoting global warming then?
Reply 2
Zottula
How would you go about promoting global warming then?

Napalm all the rainforests?
Reply 3
Hey, they're Welsh. You know what they're like! Cut them some slack, this is genius work!
While I have no intention of doing that while I'm in halls, I'll probably turn the heating down next year when I have to pay for utilities. It makes far more sense to promote energy efficiency from a money saving point of view.
Reply 5
Your point, OP? They're not forcing you to do anything. If you put on an extra layer (within reason, obviously), it isn't inconveniencing anybody, gets you into good habits for next year when you'll be paying your own bills, saves someone some money (possibly meaning they don't have to charge so much next year) and might even limit the effects of climate change a teensy little bit.

I agree that sensationalism is cringeworthy, but that doesn't make the underlying point any less valid.
it's voluntary right? So you don't have to do it.
Reply 7
global warming doesn't exist
People need to learn about the real world - the one in which you have to pay super-expensive bills to pay for your heating, not the one in which you pay it as part of your halls accommodation fees.

I see nothing wrong with this. I always leave my heating off and just change layers.
Just for this gay idea I'm going to turn the heating on in all of my house, then I'll drive my parents range rover to get my hair cut.
Reply 10
Here's the deal with global warming, as long as the majority of power station in the world run on fossil fuels, whatever new thing the government tells you to sacrifice or try's to tax you for, wont make a spot of difference.

Also, the warming and cooling of the earth is a natural process that has happened again and again...
At least it's better than the maintenance guy bursting into your room at 8am and waking you up just so he could stick a little sticker on your lightswitch that says "Turn it off" and throw a free coaster at you.

I was just left sitting there in bed like :facepalm2:

Latest

Trending

Trending