The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Sussex. but i say that because the nightlife in brighton is really good, never have a night where there isnt anything on. I dont know about liverpool. Sussex is nice though.
Reply 81
Cdr_
Sussex. but i say that because the nightlife in brighton is really good, never have a night where there isnt anything on. I dont know about liverpool. Sussex is nice though.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
One of them has the word sex in them (laughs to self)
I'd go for that one!

Yes i realise im immature
What do you want to do afterwards?
Reply 84
henrykravis
What do you want to do afterwards?

I want to go to a higher ranked uni to do Masters. And then hopefully work in a bank or perhaps become a chartered accountant like my father.
Reply 85
heyhey922
One of them has the word sex in them (laughs to self)
I'd go for that one!

Yes i realise im immature

very funny! my boyfriend studies at a university in another city in south of england, so no i'm not looking for any sex in sussex! lol
Reply 86
In a word...Probably Liverpool
Reply 87
sweetsunshine
Thank you so much for making it clearer! Well done!! But it's still tricky as different newspapers don't agree with eachother which is the better :frown: I want to do well with my studies and enjoy living in the city. It's so hard to choose :frown:

I just noticed a flaw in my interpretation. I had said that Leicester / Loughborough / Exeter rank more highly for Economics. That is only true on The Time's tables. The Guardian reckons that Sussex and Liverpool are better than Leicester and Loughborough for Economics (but I do trust The Times more because they seem to use better criteria).

(Additionally, it appears that Exeter is ranked best for Economics out of all of those and Exeter ranks generally best out of those as a university as well on each table).

Knowing that your chosen university ranks relatively well as a university and for your subject in accordance with your grades is nice but it's arguably also important that the character of the university appeals to you so I would visit as many as you can.

What are all your options?
Reply 88
Picnic1
I just noticed a flaw in my interpretation. I had said that Leicester / Loughborough / Exeter rank more highly for Economics. That is only true on The Time's tables. The Guardian reckons that Sussex and Liverpool are better than Leicester and Loughborough for Economics (but I do trust The Times more because they seem to use better criteria).

(Additionally, it appears that Exeter is ranked best for Economics out of all of those and Exeter ranks generally best out of those as a university as well on each table).

Knowing that your chosen university ranks relatively well as a university and for your subject in accordance with your grades is nice but it's arguably also important that the character of the university appeals to you so I would visit as many as you can.

What are all your options?

I've got rejected by Edinburgh and St Andrews :frown: But I am still waiting for Sheffield to answer whether I got an offer or not. What do you think about Sheffield then? :smile:
Reply 89
Like Liverpoool, Sheffield is a redbrick university and I never felt that they were my kind of university because they seem to be very busily situated in the centre of a city with sometimes not much greenery as a result, their campuses can tend to be fragmented (with not necessarily the best modern buildings) and they can look quite similar to each other in some cases. But some people may like redbricks, possibly because it is so easy to integrate with the heart of the city. Sheffield is a big, sometimes cold, industrial feeling, city - lots of hills too. Not as cosmopolitan as Leeds / Manchester but Sheffield asks for pretty high grades in some cases, more than many of the ones we've mentioned on the whole, so it must be doing something right. But visit first wherever you decide to go. And knowing how great Leicester is, I'd be tempted to try to get in there on something or other but that's just me.

By the way, I don't know if this interests you but if having a good students union with events is important to you (believe me, it can make a difference), Sheffield tends to be mentioned more than any other as it won best students union prize in the last few years (type 'best students union' on this site and look at the replies). You may also notice that Leicester is mentioned quite a bit as well as it also won best students union prize a few years ago- and Leicester has a great students union building.

Latest

Trending

Trending