The Student Room Group

Economics courses in UK without further maths a level

I'm a year 12 student in the UK looking to apply for an economics/economics related course at university. I am currently taking maths, economics and geography at A Level. I wanna apply for a top university eg oxbridge/Russel group but seeing as I haven't taken further maths what universities/courses would you recommend for me to apply for.

Hi @filifickle

I recommend looking at the entry requirements on the websites of the universities you are interested in. Most Russell Groups do not require Further Maths. However, for some universities this is desirable and not having further maths might reduce your chances. Therefore, it might be worth studying extra maths as an extra-curricular if you wanted to target these unis (e.g. Cambridge or LSE). Other Russell Group Universities do not mention Further Maths as required or desirable (e.g. Southampton or Queen Mary).

You could also consider Economics joint honours as further maths is not necessarily desirable for these courses. Economics can be combined with other subjects such as philosophy, politics, business management etc.It also gives you the opportunity to have more flexible degree where you can choose from a wide range of options.

Best Wishes,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student
University of Southampton
Reply 2
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @filifickle
I recommend looking at the entry requirements on the websites of the universities you are interested in. Most Russell Groups do not require Further Maths. However, for some universities this is desirable and not having further maths might reduce your chances. Therefore, it might be worth studying extra maths as an extra-curricular if you wanted to target these unis (e.g. Cambridge or LSE). Other Russell Group Universities do not mention Further Maths as required or desirable (e.g. Southampton or Queen Mary).
You could also consider Economics joint honours as further maths is not necessarily desirable for these courses. Economics can be combined with other subjects such as philosophy, politics, business management etc.It also gives you the opportunity to have more flexible degree where you can choose from a wide range of options.
Best Wishes,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student

Hey Gulcin,

Thanks so much for your help. Taking an Economics joint honours course is a very good idea. Out of interest what sort of extra-curriculars would you reccomend to do to show universities I have an outside interest in maths? I've already participated in the UK Senior Mathematical Challenge where I got silver but any other extracurricular ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much again,
Finn
Hi @filifickle

There are lots of courses online you can take to show your interest. For example, on Coursera: https://www.coursera.org/. You do not need to buy the certificate. Taking the course and then talking about it in your application is fine and it is a good way to show you have done wider learning. There are also free courses on Open university.

Best Wishes,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student
Reply 4
Original post by filifickle
I'm a year 12 student in the UK looking to apply for an economics/economics related course at university. I am currently taking maths, economics and geography at A Level. I wanna apply for a top university eg oxbridge/Russel group but seeing as I haven't taken further maths what universities/courses would you recommend for me to apply for.

Well as a math student who did mathematical economics I would recommend a math economics degree. Ended up having a career in computing though - so go figure. Most universities do not require further math for their math degree. It is just that FM looks so damn good on an application. LSE has a Microbachelors you could study along with your A levels:
https://www.edx.org/bachelors/microbachelors/lse-mathematics-and-statistics-fundamentals

It gets you in to their online course, so likely would help with on campus admission.
https://press.edx.org/lse-microbachelors-and-mooc

Regardless it will look good on you application for sure.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @filifickle
There are lots of courses online you can take to show your interest. For example, on Coursera: https://www.coursera.org/. You do not need to buy the certificate. Taking the course and then talking about it in your application is fine and it is a good way to show you have done wider learning. There are also free courses on Open university.
Best Wishes,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student

Hey Gulcin,

Thanks so much for your time and advice. I'll definitely make sure to look at courses online specifically to maths too

Thanks,
Finn
Reply 6
Original post by hobba
Well as a math student who did mathematical economics I would recommend a math economics degree. Ended up having a career in computing though - so go figure. Most universities do not require further math for their math degree. It is just that FM looks so damn good on an application. LSE has a Microbachelors you could study along with your A levels:
https://www.edx.org/bachelors/microbachelors/lse-mathematics-and-statistics-fundamentals
It gets you in to their online course, so likely would help with on campus admission.
https://press.edx.org/lse-microbachelors-and-mooc
Regardless it will look good on you application for sure.
Hey Hobba,

Thanks for the reply. Taking LSE's microbachelors course is a very good idea. I'm starting an EPQ too so it's gonna be alot of hours but I'll manage 😭

Thanks again,
Finn
Reply 7
Original post by filifickle

Unis only require you to have taken alevel maths- further maths just increases your chances of getting in by abit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending