The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

D is definitely a fail, but a close one at that. Bands 1-6 are passes (A-C) a D is a band 7, so on a standardised scheme a D is 45%-49%
Reply 21
http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/sqa_nu_display.jsp?pContentID=2561&p_applic=CCC&p_service=Content.show&

"These awards will be granted to candidates who narrowly failed to achieve a C pass in examination..."
so its a pass then? there is nowhere on that page where it says its a pass or a fail. but since it says its an award on its own right i will take it as a pass.
http://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/NQ_2005_MainRelease.pdf

Says here that :
"Grade D, like grades A to C, is reported on the Scottish Qualifications Certificate as a course award in its own right. Grade D indicates that the candidate has achieved all the National Units at that level and has achieved a band 7 in the external assessment"
bred
http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/sqa_nu_display.jsp?pContentID=2561&p_applic=CCC&p_service=Content.show&

"These awards will be granted to candidates who narrowly failed to achieve a C pass in examination..."

"who failed to achieve a C"

doesnt mean d is a pass or fail
Reply 25
I realised that wasn't the best section to quote. But then I tried searching the SQA site again and the search function seems to no longer be working. I got a D in Higher English last year (pre-appeal) and I was informed from various sources that it was a fail, albeit a narrow fail.

Does it really matter what it's classed as though? It does have UCAS Tariff points, but many universities don't even like to see C's, never mind B's.
Well, even for those of you who acheived Ds - and I must use acheived because you have PASSED the required national units - you can always re-sit.

How has everyone done?

AAAAB :smile: Kick ass
Reply 27
D's are passes, but only in the sense that you get more credit for doing the course than just nabs and a "no award". Let's say that the cut off for a C is 60%, then the D range will only be about 57%-59%.
Reply 28
JennLlama
I believe D's are a narrow fail at whichever level you sat them, but they were designed to replace the award of an A at the level below (e.g. if you narrowly failed an AH, you got an A at Higher) so I guess you could look at them as kinda of like a good grade at the level below...
Jenn xx

I agree completely. They're there, as far as I know, to give you some credit (in terms of UCAS points) for having done the course but failing to get a conventional pass in the final exam.
Reply 29
About the UCAS points, is that why people are doing 6 or 7 Highers (and getting As in them :smile:)?
Reply 30
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/stats/bulletins/00364-01.asp

"However, whilst a recognition of candidate achievement, the new grade is not a pass award. "
Reply 31
Nigiri
About the UCAS points, is that why people are doing 6 or 7 Highers (and getting As in them :smile:)?
6 or 7 Highers in one sitting, because thats not really a big achievement if you've done it over a couple of years.

I don't know why people do extra subjects - it varries between people. It'd be a shame if they did all that extra work purely because they wanted (ultimately unneccessary) points.

I presume you mean doing
Reply 32
Nigiri

A lot of universities don't make offers based on UCAS points so it'd be a bit of a silly reason to do 6 or 7 Highers in one sitting! When they make offers based on Highers they usually seem to specify the grades they require or say that they need X UCAS points from 5 Highers. Plus, if you stay on for S6, then you will usually get either an unconditional offer based on your Highers (if you're applying to Scottish universities) or a conditional offer based on the AHs, Highers, etc. that you're doing in S6, rather than what you did in S5.
I did 6 Highers because I really wanted to do Computing and was told that the school wouldn't timetable classes so I would have to do it outside of school time. And as smeets says, some people do more than 5 Highers but in multiple sittings (e.g. they do 5 Highers in S5 then take 2 more and an AH in S6, or 1 Higher and 2 AHs or something like that).
Jenn xx
Reply 33
I've got 8 Highers now, but that's over two years :smile:
5 would be more than enough for most unis :smile:
Reply 34
Yes, I meant more than 5 Highers in one sitting. I was also going to do Computing as a sixth Higher but following people's views I felt it was too much of unneccesary effort for myself. I just continue to pursue it as an interest than go that step further for another qualification.

I'm just saying that because I have heard people getting their results for Highers this year including 6/7 Highers in this year's sitting. And by attending Open Days recently this topic has been put forward a few times and they said that they 'take the best 5 results' - so if you get straight As in them it doesn't sound as if it makes much of a difference.

I'm not trying to criticise btw I mean if you enjoy your studies in subjects you particularly don't want to drop then by all means go for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending