The Student Room Group

Highers for Oxford medicine

Hello, I’m in S4 and I am choosing my higher subjects. I currently study chem, bio, physics, maths, English, modern studies and french at Nat 5. I have been predicated to get all A band 1 (A*). However I am aware that Oxford pays more attention to higher which I need to get AAAAA.

i am definately gonna choose higher biology, chemistry, maths and English but I wasn’t sure what I should choose for my last higher.

Physics or french? I contacted Oxford and they said they have no preference as long as you have two sciences. They said choose what you most likely to get A in.

Any advice?

I’m not sure if it’s possible to get all A in all three science at higher. Or I if I should take french cause I’m good at it.
Take french because you’re good at it. If you’ve contacted Oxford and they’ve said they have no preference they’re not going to turn around and secretly prefer one. It’s always better to take subjects you’re good at and enjoy because you’ve both got to study them for two years and get the best grade you can in them
Original post by Melissa200
Hello, I’m in S4 and I am choosing my higher subjects. I currently study chem, bio, physics, maths, English, modern studies and french at Nat 5. I have been predicated to get all A band 1 (A*). However I am aware that Oxford pays more attention to higher which I need to get AAAAA.
i am definately gonna choose higher biology, chemistry, maths and English but I wasn’t sure what I should choose for my last higher.
Physics or french? I contacted Oxford and they said they have no preference as long as you have two sciences. They said choose what you most likely to get A in.
Any advice?
I’m not sure if it’s possible to get all A in all three science at higher. Or I if I should take french cause I’m good at it.

It is definitely possible to get As in all three sciences however speaking from experience with my highers last year choose whichever one you have the most interest in and is easiest to make yourself study not the overall easiest subject as you will be spending a lot of time doing it. As last year I found English rly easy and physics hard but rly had to force myself to revise English but with physics I found it was better to revise.
If you do pick physics mr Mitchell physics on yt saved me, he also has a website with an online course which is GREAT.
Reply 3
Hi,
Highers definitely do matter for Oxford. However, are you aware that they will most likely not make you offers at a Higher level? You would need to complete Advanced Highers and apply when you receive your predicted grades for those!
Any advice?

hey, i'm currently in s5 and also hoping to apply to oxford for medicine. i've took higher physics for a while before dropping it as it wasn't interesting and has a lower % of people getting a's. however, i take higher french which is just applying the same skill from nat 5. hope this helped??? <3
Reply 5
Original post by bkamallx
hey, i'm currently in s5 and also hoping to apply to oxford for medicine. i've took higher physics for a while before dropping it as it wasn't interesting and has a lower % of people getting a's. however, i take higher french which is just applying the same skill from nat 5. hope this helped??? <3

Hi thank you so much this has helped a lot! Goodluck with the application process and UCAT 🙂 i cant believe i will be siting the ucat next year eek
Hi thank you so much this has helped a lot! Goodluck with the application process and UCAT 🙂 i cant believe i will be siting the ucat next year eek

i'm glad to be of help! and thank youu you too!!! <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending