The Student Room Group

Help! Should I pick up higher maths in S6?

Hello! I’m thinking of doing International Relations at University and I have my heart set on St Andrews or Edinburgh. I achieved 7 A’s at Nat 5 (including Maths) and I’m on track for 5 A’s at higher. However, I did not pick higher maths, mainly because I do not enjoy and am not very good at it despite getting an A. My parents keep advising me to pick up higher maths in 6th year as it will increase my chance of getting into university and is generally just good to have. I do not want to do this, as I would pretty much have to relearn Nat 5, but would be willing to if it increased my chance of getting into St Andrews/Edinburgh. I’m planning on doing Advanced English and Spanish and Higher Politics and Photography. What should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by JohnMcClane4
Hello! I’m thinking of doing International Relations at University and I have my heart set on St Andrews or Edinburgh. I achieved 7 A’s at Nat 5 (including Maths) and I’m on track for 5 A’s at higher. However, I did not pick higher maths, mainly because I do not enjoy and am not very good at it despite getting an A. My parents keep advising me to pick up higher maths in 6th year as it will increase my chance of getting into university and is generally just good to have. I do not want to do this, as I would pretty much have to relearn Nat 5, but would be willing to if it increased my chance of getting into St Andrews/Edinburgh. I’m planning on doing Advanced English and Spanish and Higher Politics and Photography. What should I do?

I personally would really not recommend taking higher maths in S6, this is mainly due to the amount of maths you will have lost. Higher maths is built completely on previous knowledge, I started out a higher maths class with 5 very academically capable S6s who had picked it up again and they all quit within a month. It’s so hard if you haven’t done maths in a year, and since you don’t need it for your course I would not. Hope this helps!
Hey! I never did higher maths and I got an unconditional for IR at St Andrews with 5 As at higher level. I did RMPS, Modern Studies, History, German, and English. The decision you receive from St Andrews is definitely more focused on your personal statement! As long as you’ve shown you’re very interested in the subject and can cope with the workload which uni will offer. I’d recommend showing various books you’ve read/experiences you’ve had and how they’ve influenced you in wanting to study IR in your personal statement
Funnily enough was in the same situation as you. I spent one week in maths then had to leave the class because it was like other language to me. The chances of remembering basics in Nat 5 are pretty slim, it’s a huge jump in level. I have received 5 uncons for IR without maths if that provides any hope. Ultimately, you won’t really need it, from what it sounds like you won’t enjoy it and you don’t need the extra stress to take away from your other subjects. An advanced language is a massive advantage to have and I’d defo mention that in your personal statement. Honestly, if I were to recommend an alternative to math, I’d go for another language at higher, it’s way easier to pick up!
Original post by robynpollock
Hey! I never did higher maths and I got an unconditional for IR at St Andrews with 5 As at higher level. I did RMPS, Modern Studies, History, German, and English. The decision you receive from St Andrews is definitely more focused on your personal statement! As long as you’ve shown you’re very interested in the subject and can cope with the workload which uni will offer. I’d recommend showing various books you’ve read/experiences you’ve had and how they’ve influenced you in wanting to study IR in your personal statement

Hi can I just ask what your Nat 5 subjects were and what grades you get
Original post by Presentt
Hi can I just ask you what your Nat 5 subjects were and the grades?
Hi, I did maths, English, Spanish, history, mods, admin and geography all As :smile:
Original post by robynpollock

Thank you! Did you accept the offer at St Andrews, is so how are you finding the course?
I dunno but you really just need to grind the subject mannn.....I got into higher maths 3 weeks late without any nat 5 knowledge and I got an A in my prelims and same as my predicted grade. (and I only got conditionals) so I guess you don't really maths like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending