The Student Room Group
Reply 1
redrose_ftw
meant to be simple but i cant do it :/ okay
find the coefficient of x^-12 in the expansion of (x^3 - 1/x)^24
Help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_triangle

Pascal's triangle determines the coefficients which arise in binomial expansions. For an example, consider the expansion

(x+y)2=x2+2xy+y2=1x2y0+2x1y1+1x0y2.(x + y)2 = x2 + 2xy + y2 = 1x2y0 + 2x1y1 + 1x0y2.

Notice the coefficients are the numbers in row two of Pascal's triangle: 1, 2, 1. In general, when a binomial like x + y is raised to a positive integer power we have:

(x+y).n=(x + y).n = see wiki cannot parse latex
Unparseable latex formula:

+ ; + a.n−1\;x.y.n−1 + \text{any n,}

where the coefficients ai in this expansion are precisely the numbers on row n of Pascal's triangle. In other words,

ai=(ni).a_i = {n \choose i}.
Ninjasocks

If you want superscripts in LaTex, just prefix the symbol with "^", and if there is more than one character put them in braces, thus ^{n-1}.

Similarly for subscripts, use "_"
Reply 3
ye i understand all that but i'm not looking to expand it just find the coefficient which i really don't understand :s-smilie: there is this formula n!/r!(n-r)! will that work in this case
Reply 4
ghostwalker
If you want superscripts in LaTex, just prefix the symbol with "^", and if there is more than one character put them in braces, thus ^{n-1}.

Similarly for subscripts, use "_"

Thanks my latex is awfully rusty atm.
Reply 5
redrose_ftw
ye i understand all that but i'm not looking to expand it just find the coefficient which i really don't understand :s-smilie: there is this formula n!/r!(n-r)! will that work in this case

Read the whole link it gives a general solution.
Reply 6
redrose_ftw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_coefficient

Read this link sorry.

Actually either their both good and yeah.

Latest