The Student Room Group

Further Statistics Edexcel 9FM/3B 16th June

Hey everyone, I wanted to open a chat for the further stats paper tomorrow as I have not seen anyone who opened one yet.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Heisenberg66
Hey everyone, I wanted to open a chat for the further stats paper tomorrow as I have not seen anyone who opened one yet.

Good point, how are you feeling about it? Any particular hard questions you’ve come across?
Reply 2
@Evil Homer Hi could you please add this group?
Reply 3
Original post by DianaG04
Good point, how are you feeling about it? Any particular hard questions you’ve come across?

I feel like 2021 and 2022 papers have been the most difficult ones yet. Not feeling too great about this one but I guess we will have to see tomorrow
Reply 4
does any one have a good way of recognising which distribution is the correct one to use? I always get confused in the hypothesis type questions
Reply 5
Original post by ReneeS22
does any one have a good way of recognising which distribution is the correct one to use? I always get confused in the hypothesis type questions

Unfortunately there isn't really another way except of learning the definitions of them and assessing the context using the definitions.

The Poisson distribution is the easiest to recognise as they will tell you the mean rate of something happening.

The geometric distribution I always used to mix up with the negative binomial distribution. This is because both have a constant value of the probability parameter p. However, the negative binomial distribution is used to find the number of trials needed to achieve a fixed number of successes, as opposed to the minimum number of trials needed for a single success (for which, ofc the geometric distribution is required).
Reply 7
Original post by TypicalNerd
The Poisson distribution is the easiest to recognise as they will tell you the mean rate of something happening.

The geometric distribution I always used to mix up with the negative binomial distribution. This is because both have a constant value of the probability parameter p. However, the negative binomial distribution is used to find the number of trials needed to achieve a fixed number of successes, as opposed to the minimum number of trials needed for a single success (for which, ofc the geometric distribution is required).

The geometric and binomial are the ones I mix up the most! thanks so much that makes sense.
The geometric and binomial are the ones I mix up the most! thanks so much that makes sense.

Well, I suppose my description of the geometric distribution was a little incomplete.

The geometric distribution is used find the probability that the first success occurs on the nth trial. As such, if we define x as the probability of success and n as the number of successive trials:

P(first success occurs on trial n) = x(1 - x)^(n-1)
That felt a hell of a lot easier than CP1, CP2 and FM1.

Considering FP1 is my best paper, if FS1 has gone well for me, that potentially bodes well for me and perhaps I can salvage the blunderfest that has been further maths so far.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 10
Does anyone remember what answers they got?
Reply 11
Did u answer all of the questions
Last question probability of Red on 4th was greater.
Original post by Faisal Amiri

It was ever so slightly iirc. 0.5904 vs 0.5801 or something.
Original post by Jamie5040
Did u answer all of the questions

Almost. I stupidly forgot how to calculate probabilities of type 2 errors, so I lost marks there.
Reply 15
Original post by TypicalNerd
It was ever so slightly iirc. 0.5904 vs 0.5801 or something.
i got that too
Reply 16
Original post by Faisal Amiri

Got that as well
How many marks would I lose for the Poisson question about the 900 calls worth 4 marks where gamma = 3 if I only figured out gamma? It was a nasty question in terms of understanding where the time spent on it wouldn't be worth the marks I reckon so I finished the rest and had 5 mins at the end to have another go at it.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by BambooEnjoyer
How many marks would I lose for the Poisson question worth 4 marks where gamma = 3 if I only figured out gamma? It was a nasty question in terms of understanding where the time spent on it wouldn't be worth the marks I reckon so I finished the rest and had 5 mins at the end to have another go at it.

I think maybe 1 or 2 marks would be lost, as presumably you use λ np next, with n = 900
Reply 19
Anyone got UOMS for all papers (or any)?
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest