The Student Room Group

Physiology and Phsycology..advice

I was thinking of applying to do phys and psy at uni...but its not a real passion or sumthing that I love laods. Though psychology has alsways interested me and Id love to learn more bout it...I dunno if I could work as hard as your meant to at uni for three years solid. Especially if it was loads of writing. Physics and Biology also bored me loads at school an I missed loads of lessons in them but I seem to be good at science and I figured it'd be different at uni

Is anyone doing physiology on here and could tell me a bit about the course and what its like?? Was anyone else confused like me before going to read physiology or are you all totally passionate bout ur subjects?? Any feedback would be great!
Reply 1
Im about to start a physiology degree at Cardiff.
I was originally looking to do medicine, but decided I couldnt be doing with the whole sticking needles in people and blood thing, although the science behind it interested me. I watch lots of Casualty, ER, and those documentaries about people with weird diseases. So I figured, I can do research with physiology, lets give it a go. I wouldnt say Im 100% passionate about it, but its the thing I would most prefer to do at uni, after looking at other degrees I could do with my A levels. It also gives me the option to go into medicine as a graduate if I get over my whole needles/blood thing.
What Im trying to say in a long winded way is that I knew I wanted to go to uni, and I liked human biology, so I figured physiology would be a good tihng to do. I enjoy it, but im not really passionate about it. But I also know I wouldnt be passionate about any other subjects I could do at uni. And I figured most subjects would be different at uni, its a whole different learning style.

Try looking at http://www.physoc.org/phd/index.asp for more info.
Definition of physiology: What is Physiology?
Physiology is the study of life, specifically, how cells, tissues, and organisms function. Physiologists are constantly trying to answer key questions in areas ranging from the functions of single cells to the interactions between human populations and our environment here on earth, the moon, and beyond. To answer these questions, physiologists work in laboratories, in libraries, in the field, and in space. For example, a physiologist may study how a particular enzyme contributes to the functions of a specific cell or subcellular organelle. A physiologist may use the simple nerve networks found in marine snails to answer questions about the fundamental mechanisms of learning and memory. A physiologist may investigate the cardiovascular system of an animal to answer questions about heart attacks and other human diseases. Physiologists may study how the body adapts to temperature and environmental extremes encountered on earth, or the zero gravity encountered in space flights, to learn how life processes cope with these environmental stresses.

Physiology is important because it is the foundation upon which we build our knowledge of what "life" is, how to treat disease, and how to cope with stresses imposed upon our bodies by different environments. Physiological studies of normal biological function provide the basis for understanding the abnormal function seen in animal and human disease (pathophysiology) and for developing new methods for treating those diseases (translational research). Many physiologists use animal models as an important tool in their research.

The study of physiological processes can encompass a wide array of other disciplines, such as neurophysiology, pharmacology, cell biology, and biochemistry, to name just a few. Physiologists can often be found as members of these other departments, in addition to departments of physiology.

Latest

Trending

Trending