The Student Room Group

personal statement for multiple courses

Hi,
I'm currently writing my personal statement applying for biomedical science and physiological science. Does anyone know how to refer to both of them when I'm mentioning the course name? Like does physiology count under biomed?
Thanks
Reply 1
Why are you applying for two slightly different subjects?
Reply 2
When referring to both "Biomedical Science" and "Physiological Science" in your personal statement, you can mention them separately to provide clarity and precision. While "Physiological Science" may be related to "Biomedical Science," they are distinct courses with their own unique focuses. Instead of combining them, you can highlight the specific aspects that intrigue you about each program.

For instance, you could say something like, "I am excited to apply for both Biomedical Science and Physiological Science programs. Biomedical Science offers me a comprehensive understanding of medical research and its applications, while Physiological Science captivates me with its in-depth exploration of the human body's functions."
Reply 3
Original post by Jordan.H
"I am excited to apply for both Biomedical Science and Physiological Science programs. Biomedical Science offers me a comprehensive understanding of medical research and its applications, while Physiological Science captivates me with its in-depth exploration of the human body's functions."

And will pretty much mean they wont get an offer - because it will be clear to Admissions staff that the applicant is are not committed to studying 'their' subject.

My advice has always been 'Don't do it' - decide which course you do actually want to do and apply for 5 choices.
Original post by McGinger
And will pretty much mean they wont get an offer - because it will be clear to Admissions staff that the applicant is are not committed to studying 'their' subject.

My advice has always been 'Don't do it' - decide which course you do actually want to do and apply for 5 choices.

It depends on the person - I've applied for multiple subjects and still got 4/5 offers from decent universities. My PS was quite general, just a little more hobbies and a little more of the commonalities between subjects... although not for biomedical science and physiological science.

But still, if they aare sure of the subject they want, or quite sure, they should apply for that subject only.
Original post by Catherine_S
Hi,
I'm currently writing my personal statement applying for biomedical science and physiological science. Does anyone know how to refer to both of them when I'm mentioning the course name? Like does physiology count under biomed?
Thanks

Hi @Cathrine_S

Some universities will allow you to email them a separate personal statement in addition to the one you submit on UCAS if you're applying to a different course with them than at your other choices. It might be worth getting in contact with the admissions team to ask if you can do this so you can keep it specific to the course.

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Original post by Catherine_S
Hi,
Thanks

If one of the subjects is a subject only offered by a few universities, then you can write your personal statement about the other subject, as the university with the rare subject will understand that personal statements can't be based on that subject. Personally, I got a conditional offer for a subject that was only offered in one university by writing my personal statement about a related subject.

Otherwise, I'm not sure how to do it, but it should be possible as people don't always apply to the same subject at every university. Perhaps you could write your personal statement as if you were applying to a combined course of biomedical science and physiological science?

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
Why are you applying for two slightly different subjects?

They have very similar modules at different universities but I prefer the physiology course at some and biomed at others
Reply 8
Thanks everyone. I'll probably just think again as I want to apply to the same course 5 times, or not mention the course name

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending