The Student Room Group

Cardiac Physiology Applicants 2024

hi everyone, this thread is for anyone who is applying for Cardiac Physiology this year! feel free to drop any questions or just chat about the uni or course!
Reply 1
Hii
I'm applying for cardiac physiology as well! Ive applied to plymouth, southampton, middlesex, st georges and leeds. Where did you apply?
Reply 2
Original post by jem1ma
Hii
I'm applying for cardiac physiology as well! Ive applied to plymouth, southampton, middlesex, st georges and leeds. Where did you apply?

Hi, although i am not applying. I am currently a student in Swansea University. I also had successful applications in Leeds and the london unis. There are only so many unis that offer it, but I do recommend choosing the universities that are in areas with the most advanced technology or simulation (I.E London for advanced technology, Leeds has great simulation equipment and programme) or evaluate based on their advantages such as Southampton having a great campus and university reputation, Swansea allows you to have experience in hospitals nationwide + financial support (Welsh Bursary - free degree and extra maintenance + academic excellence bonuses) etc…
Reply 3
Original post by KiDAsia
Hi, although i am not applying. I am currently a student in Swansea University. I also had successful applications in Leeds and the london unis. There are only so many unis that offer it, but I do recommend choosing the universities that are in areas with the most advanced technology or simulation (I.E London for advanced technology, Leeds has great simulation equipment and programme) or evaluate based on their advantages such as Southampton having a great campus and university reputation, Swansea allows you to have experience in hospitals nationwide + financial support (Welsh Bursary - free degree and extra maintenance + academic excellence bonuses) etc…

Thats great! Thank you :smile:
Original post by KiDAsia

Hi,

What about Man Met UNi
Reply 5
Original post by Abdullah 12
Hi,

What about Man Met UNi

Not much idea, I am aware Manchester has advanced hospital(s) so I suppose that is a great benefit.
Student Finance England is opening applications for full-time undergraduate courses for 2024 entry on Monday 11 March. Put a reminder in your calendar. :cyber:
Hi,
What about Man Met UNi

Wasn't Man Met Uni only offer Cardiac Physiology through an apprenticeship?

I have an interview with a Bournemouth Hospital and the Degree will be at UWE and they do Cardiac Physiology degrees but only as an apprenticeship
Original post by JashGarge
Wasn't Man Met Uni only offer Cardiac Physiology through an apprenticeship?
I have an interview with a Bournemouth Hospital and the Degree will be at UWE and they do Cardiac Physiology degrees but only as an apprenticeship

Hey,
I study cardiac physiology at MMU, they do offer the apprenticeship degree but also the PTP which I’m currently on!

You can basically pick which profession you wish to take, either respiratory and sleep or the cardiovascular route. So first year placements you get to experience both departments which is quite interesting, helps you confirm your choice!

As for placements, you will get allocated anywhere in the north west. Due to this, travel to hospitals can be quite far at times and sometimes you’ll get placed closer. So it very much varies.

: )
Original post by mintgreen5
Hey,
I study cardiac physiology at MMU, they do offer the apprenticeship degree but also the PTP which I’m currently on!
You can basically pick which profession you wish to take, either respiratory and sleep or the cardiovascular route. So first year placements you get to experience both departments which is quite interesting, helps you confirm your choice!
As for placements, you will get allocated anywhere in the north west. Due to this, travel to hospitals can be quite far at times and sometimes you’ll get placed closer. So it very much varies.

Oh thanks for letting me know!

I kinda applied for that kinda thing at KCL as well Man Met is quite far away for me. It also includes sleep cardiac and respiratory.
Hey,

Hi,

Could you tell me more about the PTP, i have accepted an offer at study at MMU
Hi,
Could you tell me more about the PTP, i have accepted an offer at study at MMU

Sure, what do you want more info on in particular ?
Sure, what do you want more info on in particular ?

By enrolling on the Healthcare Science course, am I not automatically studying the PTP?

What are the benefits of enrolling on the PTP?
By enrolling on the Healthcare Science course, am I not automatically studying the PTP?
What are the benefits of enrolling on the PTP?

Yes you would be on the PTP route, a full time student.

You’re able to experience more of the uni life compared to the apprentices who attend uni (mostly once a week) but also work at the hospital too so it’s deffo more hands on for them.
With the PTP you still get work based learning and will study your different modules at the same time. And you graduate on a band 5. Job prospects are really good, I know most people end up finding a job relatively quick or even during their final year ! So during placements make sure to get really involved as they could consider you in the future.

Personally, I feel like the studying full time route was more for me. Especially just after leaving college too and already being used to being a full time student. If you do decide to follow the apprentice route make sure you have lots of experience and knowledge of the role.
Yes you would be on the PTP route, a full time student.
You’re able to experience more of the uni life compared to the apprentices who attend uni (mostly once a week) but also work at the hospital too so it’s deffo more hands on for them.
With the PTP you still get work based learning and will study your different modules at the same time. And you graduate on a band 5. Job prospects are really good, I know most people end up finding a job relatively quick or even during their final year ! So during placements make sure to get really involved as they could consider you in the future.
Personally, I feel like the studying full time route was more for me. Especially just after leaving college too and already being used to being a full time student. If you do decide to follow the apprentice route make sure you have lots of experience and knowledge of the role.

Thers not many apprenticeships out in this field which can be quite annoying. That path is more ideal for me. Any advices where to look
Thers not many apprenticeships out in this field which can be quite annoying. That path is more ideal for me. Any advices where to look

Yeh that’s true, and they're also quite competitive because of that.
Hmmm id say NHS jobs or just simply type in cardiac physiology apprenticeships on Google and some vacancies should come up.
Yeh that’s true, and they're also quite competitive because of that.
Hmmm id say NHS jobs or just simply type in cardiac physiology apprenticeships on Google and some vacancies should come up.

That's what I did and I found 2

Trainee Apprentice Cardiac Physiologist

Apprentice Cardiac Physiologist L6

I bailed on the first one as it's on the Isle of Wight which would mean relocating and travel would be ridiculous as I need to take a ferry and then a train to get to the university,

The latter is in Bournemouth which isn't bad, Probably will need to disembark at Southampton to get to UWE where I'd learn the course.
Original post by JashGarge
That's what I did and I found 2
Trainee Apprentice Cardiac Physiologist
Apprentice Cardiac Physiologist L6
I bailed on the first one as it's on the Isle of Wight which would mean relocating and travel would be ridiculous as I need to take a ferry and then a train to get to the university,
The latter is in Bournemouth which isn't bad, Probably will need to disembark at Southampton to get to UWE where I'd learn the course.
Haha yeh I saw the Isle of Wight one, most apprentice posts are all so far !! And the travel from the hospital to uni is so inconvenient and can end up being pretty expensive even tho you get paid whilst training.
But if you don’t mind travelling a few hours there and back then it’s worth a shot. Even if you took the ptp route you can end up travelling up to 2 hours to and from placement!

A lot of level 6 apprentice CP vacancies come up later in the year too. Keep searching around june/July time. Good luck, hopefully you’ll find something : D
Haha yeh I saw the Isle of Wight one, most apprentice posts are all so far !! And the travel from the hospital to uni is so inconvenient and can end up being pretty expensive even tho you get paid whilst training.
But if you don’t mind travelling a few hours there and back then it’s worth a shot. Even if you took the ptp route you can end up travelling up to 2 hours to and from placement!
A lot of level 6 apprentice CP vacancies come up later in the year too. Keep searching around june/July time. Good luck, hopefully you’ll find something : D

Thanks!

i kinda already found one the Bournemouth one. I made it to an interview stage with them so things are looking good.

I don't mind the Bournemouth one as I could commute easier than the Isle of Wight one which probably will require me taking a ferry a few times which will be expensive as you said.

I'll probably check again soon to see any other places apart from Bournemouth offering apprenticeships.

It's a bit annoying as if Bournemouth did the learning part at Southampton University I would've taken it in a heartbeat but as it's UWE in Bristol which is kinda far.
Original post by abigailtoribio
hi everyone, this thread is for anyone who is applying for Cardiac Physiology this year! feel free to drop any questions or just chat about the uni or course!
Has anyone spoke to students doing cardiac physiology?? I haven’t had a chance to go to any offer days, but it’d be great if anyone knew the answers to these:

What’s placement like, is it as bad as nursing students have it. And what are the shift hours like? (do you get late ones)

How hard is the course compared to alevel bio and maths? Is it doable or on the tricky side.

Quick Reply

Latest