The Student Room Group

revision tips during christmas?

hello, I'm a first-year mental health nursing student and i was wondering if anyone has good revision tips on anatomy and physiology and how to retain information as i struggle to do so and i'm very slow in understanding information as i need to go over and over.
my exam is in janurary and i also feel like my life is currently cramped now that im back home and ill be doing my part-time job on the other hand. i was wondering if anyone has advice on how to not feel overwhelmed and become motivation.

i feel at a loss and I'm scared ill fail.
Reply 1
Flashcards for sure help, write down what crucial information you need to remember and do recollection games with yourself. For anatomy, mini quizzes online where you can label certain areas. Keep drilling them, some people even like songs to remember that.
Original post by mylifeasci
hello, I'm a first-year mental health nursing student and i was wondering if anyone has good revision tips on anatomy and physiology and how to retain information as i struggle to do so and i'm very slow in understanding information as i need to go over and over.
my exam is in janurary and i also feel like my life is currently cramped now that im back home and ill be doing my part-time job on the other hand. i was wondering if anyone has advice on how to not feel overwhelmed and become motivation.

Hi there

It is good to hear that you are already thinking of revision.

Starting your revision early is definitely important. If possible, I would recommend having a timetable that you can follow (it need not be too strict, just to list what content you would revise when). This will help you organise your time effectively, and ensure you can cover all topics.

Although I am not studying the same degree as you, I think having visual diagrams would really help with your revision. Memorise them and draw them from memory several times.

If there are any material available, having a look at past paper questions could give you a good insight of the possible questions.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hello @mylifeasci ,

Great that you have reached out about this. I remember being in the exact same position as you when returning for Xmas after my first term, although I was also studying a different degree (I did Psych!)

Some really great advice so far @DoughJam @University of Kent - flashcards were a life-saver for me as I could also re-use them for the real exams, and making visual diagrams can also be quite enjoyable so is a nice thing to do alongside past paper questions to stay motivated. I'd also recommend trying to teach some of the content to someone else, such as a family member, as this may also help you solidify it in your own head and pinpoint areas where you're not as confident in.

Having a timetable written down is a great tip. I kept mine on my phone's calendar and colour coded each session by module. This meant I would not miss any topics out, and seeing them separated from my social activities/'me' time and part-time work shifts was also really motivating 🙂. The one thing I'd say is that little and often is key. If you take a while to learn things fully this kind of repetition and consistency might really help you.

And as for failing - as cliched as it sounds, you can only do what you can do 🙂 you've got to where you are because you've worked hard earnt it, and reaching out like you have just shows you have a really good attitude! If at the end of the day you don't do as well as you'd hoped, try to get some feedback so you understand why.

Very best of luck - I hope that helps!

Holly
University of Bath
(edited 4 months ago)

Another vote for flashcards! Not nursing but a couple of the modules I do at uni are very content heavy so I made quizlet flashcards. They're flashcards are really good but you have to pay for the learn feature :frown: Now I switch between Knowt and Anki which I think are my favourites. Knowt is a little like how quizlet used to be and uses repetition and multiple choice type flashcards but overall they it made it quite fun :yep:

Posters are handy to make too (I bought myself a pad of a3 paper at the start of the year and it's always been useful to have in).

Hey there,

As a fellow student who has experienced similar struggles, I understand how overwhelming it can be to retain information in anatomy and physiology. One tip that worked for me is to break down the complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts. Take your time to understand each component before moving on to the next. It's normal to need to go over the material multiple times, so don't be too hard on yourself.

To avoid feeling overwhelmed, try to create a study schedule that allows for dedicated time to review the material. This can help you stay organized and ensure that you cover all the necessary topics before your exam in January. Additionally, make sure to take breaks and engage in activities that help you relax and recharge.

When it comes to motivation, it can be helpful to set specific goals for yourself. Break down your revision into smaller tasks, and reward yourself after completing each one. Surround yourself with supportive peers who can provide encouragement and accountability. Remember, it's normal to feel scared or doubt yourself, but try to stay positive and believe in your capabilities.

You're not alone in this journey, and with dedication and perseverance, you can overcome these challenges. Keep pushing forward, and don't hesitate to reach out for help when you need it.

You've got this!

Best of luck,
Ilya :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by De Montfort University
Hey there,

As a fellow student who has experienced similar struggles, I understand how overwhelming it can be to retain information in anatomy and physiology. One tip that worked for me is to break down the complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts. Take your time to understand each component before moving on to the next. It's normal to need to go over the material multiple times, so don't be too hard on yourself.

To avoid feeling overwhelmed, try to create a study schedule that allows for dedicated time to review the material. This can help you stay organized and ensure that you cover all the necessary topics before your exam in January. Additionally, make sure to take breaks and engage in activities that help you relax and recharge.

When it comes to motivation, it can be helpful to set specific goals for yourself. Break down your revision into smaller tasks, and reward yourself after completing each one. Surround yourself with supportive peers who can provide encouragement and accountability. Remember, it's normal to feel scared or doubt yourself, but try to stay positive and believe in your capabilities.

You're not alone in this journey, and with dedication and perseverance, you can overcome these challenges. Keep pushing forward, and don't hesitate to reach out for help when you need it.

You've got this!

Best of luck,
Ilya :smile:

thank you very much. ill try my best in doing these techniques!
Hi there!

Echoing what other people have said, flash cards!
They’re a quick and easy way to help retain the important pieces of information.

I would make A4 drawings and annotations and have them stuck up around my room as a visual reminder, and get people to quiz me.

Anatomy and physiology apps also helped me, and online quizzes

Good luck!

Nat
LJMU Student Nurse and Ambassador

Hi,

Coming from a 3rd year nursing student, I know the stress of trying to learn all that anatomy and physiology information as there is so much information but I promise it is possible once you figure out what learning method best works for you.

As others have said, I would recommend creating a study timetable that clearly states what topic you want to study each day and means you should have everything covered before the exam.

I would also recommend using study techniques such as the Pomodoro technique which allows for a systematic approach to studying giving allocated breaks and optimum study times. It's a great tool for working hard for short periods of time and being rewarded with a break after a certain amount of time. I always use this technique when studying and it really does motivate me.

Using online physiology videos and websites such as geekymedics and Quizlet will also have resources available that will assist with your learning.

I hope this is of some assistance, and I hope your exam goes well for you!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing Student

@mylifeasci

When it comes to anatomy and physiology, looking at prefixes and suffixes can help. They generally have a meaning which can help you remember what the word means/ the location. Looking at the meaning of the word in Latin or Greek can also be beneficial.

Mnemonics are also useful, especially if you have to remember a list e.g. the five layers of the epidermis, coming up with a funny sentence can make it easier to remember. It may take time to think of a mnemonic but once you have got one, it's normally a quick way to remember so for the five layers of the epidermis: Corrie Loses Great Spaghetti Bag.

Repetition is everything so write things again and again, repeat things to yourself, and read over flashcards.

Where you have a bit of bit spare time: try and revise. Whether that's finding 30 minutes here or 15 minutes there. As long as you are engaging enough with revision material, whether you sit down for 90 minutes, or whether you spread the time out across the day, you should begin to find it easier to remember things.

You might also find it useful to get up early and to do some revision before going to your part-time job, or you might want to make time in the evening to spend a couple of hours revising. See what works for you.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 10
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@mylifeasci

When it comes to anatomy and physiology, looking at prefixes and suffixes can help. They generally have a meaning which can help you remember what the word means/ the location. Looking at the meaning of the word in Latin or Greek can also be beneficial.

Mnemonics are also useful, especially if you have to remember a list e.g. the five layers of the epidermis, coming up with a funny sentence can make it easier to remember. It may take time to think of a mnemonic but once you have got one, it's normally a quick way to remember so for the five layers of the epidermis: Corrie Loses Great Spaghetti Bag.

Repetition is everything so write things again and again, repeat things to yourself, and read over flashcards.

Where you have a bit of bit spare time: try and revise. Whether that's finding 30 minutes here or 15 minutes there. As long as you are engaging enough with revision material, whether you sit down for 90 minutes, or whether you spread the time out across the day, you should begin to find it easier to remember things.

You might also find it useful to get up early and to do some revision before going to your part-time job, or you might want to make time in the evening to spend a couple of hours revising. See what works for you.

All the best!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

thank you very much!
Reply 11
Original post by LSBU
Hi,

Coming from a 3rd year nursing student, I know the stress of trying to learn all that anatomy and physiology information as there is so much information but I promise it is possible once you figure out what learning method best works for you.

As others have said, I would recommend creating a study timetable that clearly states what topic you want to study each day and means you should have everything covered before the exam.

I would also recommend using study techniques such as the Pomodoro technique which allows for a systematic approach to studying giving allocated breaks and optimum study times. It's a great tool for working hard for short periods of time and being rewarded with a break after a certain amount of time. I always use this technique when studying and it really does motivate me.

Using online physiology videos and websites such as geekymedics and Quizlet will also have resources available that will assist with your learning.

I hope this is of some assistance, and I hope your exam goes well for you!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep - 3rd year Children's Nursing Student

thank you for your response. i'll try my hardest to get as much revision done as possible!

Hey!

You’ve had a lot of great advice already! Just wanted to also add that if you’re struggling with going over and over information, I have a method that really helped me during my revision:

I used a ‘traffic light system’, so created a spreadsheet with all the topics I needed to know within a module (you can make it as broad or as specific as you like). Then each column would be dated (either weekly/daily/fortnightly; however often you want to revisit your revision). Then within each date and topic you would colour code it, so red for don’t know at all, amber for kind of know, green for know well. Then you can spend time focusing on red and amber topics, rather than spending too much time on things you already know well (because I was definitely guilty of that!)

Best of luck with everything!!
Natalke
(edited 4 months ago)
thank you for your response. i'll try my hardest to get as much revision done as possible!

Hiya!

It sounds like you have had lots of great advise so far! I have some university work to do over Christmas not an exam but it is an essay and it has been nearly impossible to find some spare time to sit down and type. I am sure you will find some time to revise (perhaps when motivation strikes embrace it or early in the mornings/ or evenings usually work for me) and it's good that it is on your mind and not completely forgotten with the holidays - but do make sure you enjoy the holidays and have a day or maybe two of no work and try to enjoy yourself! Just try revising here and there whenever you have a spare 15 minutes or more and grab the opportunity. As I said above some great advise suggested and I agree certainly that repetition is key - for me I try to find quizzes regarding the topic and look at past papers questions and answers; the answers especially as it gives you a good idea on how to structure an answer and the crucial things to mention.

Hope all the advise has helped, and Merry Christmas!
-Maddie, second year Health and Well-being student at De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending