The Student Room Group

Integer values satisfying inequality

I'm currently trying to revise for my Maths GCSE and I have been struggling with one particular topic for a while: solving inequalities and writing down the integer values that satisfy an inequality. I've been reading through my revision books but I'm hoping that someone can give me a simple guide on how to remember to do these.

For example, I'm currently struggling with finding the integer values of x satisfying this inequality -4 ('less than or equal to' sign here) 2x < 4.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/suggestions! I really don't want to fail my Maths GCSE so I'm working as hard as I can, but these just confuse me for some reason!
Reply 1
With inequalities you can do addition & subtraction like normal. You can multiply and divide by positive numbers, but if you multiply or divide by a negative number then you need to turn the inequality sign the other way around.

So in your example you can just divide everything by 2 and then you should be able to read off the answer.
Reply 2
psychofly
With inequalities you can do addition & subtraction like normal. You can multiply and divide by positive numbers, but if you multiply or divide by a negative number then you need to turn the inequality sign the other way around.

So in your example you can just divide everything by 2 and then you should be able to read off the answer.

Thanks. :smile:

Latest