The Student Room Group
It looks like an Integrating Factor question to me... but I can't help you. :o:
Well the original question was in fact

xdydx=2y+(x4)(e(x))x\frac{dy}{dx} = 2y + (x^4)(e^(-x))

So I took the 2y to the other side and found my integrating factor, which was 1x2\frac{1}{x^2}. Multiply the original equation by the integrating factor and you get what I posted in the original post.
Reply 3
then just do d/dx(Iy) = IQ
and integrate both sides

That's what I'd do anyway...
Reply 4
wanderlust.xx

So I took the 2y to the other side and found my integrating factor, which was 1x2\frac{1}{x^2}. Multiply the original equation by the integrating factor and you get what I posted in the original post.

It would help to divide through by xx, then you end up with 1x2dydx2x3y\dfrac{1}{x^2}\dfrac{dy}{dx} - \dfrac{2}{x^3} y, which you can do something with.

When you're doing questions like this, make sure that dy/dx has nothing multiplying it -- if it does, divide through by it.

For what it's worth, if μ(x)\mu(x) is your integrating factor (i.e. μ(x)=1x2\mu(x) = \dfrac{1}{x^2} in this case), then you should end up with ddx(μ(x)y)\dfrac{d}{dx} \big( \mu(x)y \big) on the LHS. This only works when there is nothing multiplying dy/dx though, so be careful!
Reply 5
dydx2xy=x3ex\frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{2}{x}y=\frac{x^3}{e^x}

e21x dx=e2lnx=x2e^{-2\int\frac{1}{x}\ dx}=e^{-2lnx}=x^{-2}

x2dydx2x3y=xexx^{-2}\frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{2}{x^3}y=xe^{-x}
wanderlust.xx

you should've divided by x before finding the IF
I did divide through by x before finding the integrating factor. Don't I multiply my original equation by the integrating factor?

Wait... I'm an idiot.
Reply 7
Yes, you haven't multiplied the x^3(e^-x) by x^-2

Latest