The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-level Further Mathematics Paper 1 (9FM0 01) - 25th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your Edexcel A-level Further Mathematics Paper 1 exam go?

Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics Paper 1 (9FM0 01) - 25th May 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: Thursday 25th May 2023/ PM
Length: 1h 30m

Congratulations Everyone :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone else really struggle with time? Like all these past papers I'm getting 65 and over but if I time myself I literally cannot finish the paper :frown:
Reply 2
I have the same issue :frown:
Original post by Arconik
Anyone else really struggle with time? Like all these past papers I'm getting 65 and over but if I time myself I literally cannot finish the paper :frown:

Is it certain questions that you need to take your time with or just all topics? Good luck with the exam!
Original post by Arconik

I also struggle with reading clocks, big hand is minutes, small hand is hours - I only just figured this out! - as far as i am aware it is not in the further maths specification so we should safe and sound :smile: Also, I think there is only 60 minutes in an hour. I am pleased that I able to help you out with this question.
Reply 5
Original post by younblugsjd123
I also struggle with reading clocks, big hand is minutes, small hand is hours - I only just figured this out! - as far as i am aware it is not in the further maths specification so we should safe and sound :smile: Also, I think there is only 60 minutes in an hour. I am pleased that I able to help you out with this question.

Poor effort with that joke

2/10

Could’ve done better
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
What is up with this chat...? I mean it's further maths what did I expect.
Anyway, timing is quite evil on further maths. Unlike maths, they give you a mark for 3 line of working instead of 1 line of working out.
My mock was easy for some reason but recent practice past papers I'm failing on time. I think I spend too long staring at questions I'm stuck on.
Reply 7
Original post by DanielK1456
Is it certain questions that you need to take your time with or just all topics? Good luck with the exam!

Usually it's just questions where I just make a slip and have to restart or look back through my workings.
Only real topic I can think of is the substition integration questions, I always struggle to balance between trying to plan what I should use as my substituion by thinking ahead and just getting stuck into it.
Original post by Arconik
Usually it's just questions where I just make a slip and have to restart or look back through my workings.
Only real topic I can think of is the substition integration questions, I always struggle to balance between trying to plan what I should use as my substituion by thinking ahead and just getting stuck into it.

Might be obvious, but just practise them. The more you practise the quicker you get at doing each step. I would recommend getting the substitution right because you don't want to jump into it and half way through the question you realise you've made an error right at the beginning cause that's frustrating. If you don't have loads of time even just go to a question bank and practise just picking the right substitution- you don't have to complete all the integrals, although that's good to do too.
Reply 9
How is everyone feeling about tomorrow
Reply 10
******** it
Original post by Dan2248

I’d say I’m pretty confident. Hbu?

I’m naïvely hoping none of that C + iS caca comes up, because it’s annoying.

I do need to go over complex numbers again though, because the proofs of multiple angle formulae by de Moivre’s theorem are something I haven’t looked at in a while.
Reply 12
Original post by TypicalNerd
I’d say I’m pretty confident. Hbu?

I’m naïvely hoping none of that C + iS caca comes up, because it’s annoying.

I do need to go over complex numbers again though, because the proofs of multiple angle formulae by de Moivre’s theorem are something I haven’t looked at in a while.

what's C + iS caca ?
Original post by amrr
what's C + iS caca ?

It’s the nonsense with sequences that comes up in the first chapter of the year 2 core pure book, where you have two series (usually denoted by C and S) and you consider a new series C + iS to find simplified expressions for C and S.
Reply 14
Original post by TypicalNerd
It’s the nonsense with sequences that comes up in the first chapter of the year 2 core pure book, where you have two series (usually denoted by C and S) and you consider a new series C + iS to find simplified expressions for C and S.

That’s one of the 2 topics i did not cover. How often does it come up in past papers?
Original post by 27amz
That’s one of the 2 topics i did not cover. How often does it come up in past papers?

I’ve only ever seen it twice that I remember - once in core pure 2 from 2019, once in one of the core pure papers in one of the mock sets. I reckon it’s likely to come up, unfortunately.
Who else has another exam tomorrow 😬
Original post by Dan2248

absolutely terrified lol its not my strongest....
Reply 18
Weirdly idk if I am confident. I am confident I can get the B I need for York. Above that I think it's so reliant on the questions on the paper that it's out of my control. Imma just try do my best
Reply 19
I also am hoping for no polar coordinates sketching questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending