The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I did elections and pressure groups! I didn't mind the questions but I just could not write all I wanted too, so I ended up writing down my points in vague short paragraphs in order to get everything I wanted to write down on paper! I also got elitism totally wrong, I may as well sign up for retakes now!!
Reply 21
chloeee!
oh god. anyone who did the elections question, you know part c was 'make a case for the introduction of proportial representation for elections to the house of commons', well by pr does it mean proportional systems generally? because i was going on and on about ams, is that even proportional representation?!

i did elections- and PR means about the systems generally :\ i think. but i still wrote about each one. AMS is defo a pr system
Reply 22
timROGERS
The timing is just completely unfair - did everyone at your centre also have the same problem? Surely if it as widespread as it seems, they need to extend the time? But I suppose if most poeple have problems then it should pull the boundaries down.

I didn't mind that question too much. I talked about direct challenges to the democratic process through direct action and problems of transparency, bullet pointed a load more points and then wrote a conclusion (because supposedly you get marks for that!).

What did you put for the first part of pressure groups? I said about how they provide another channel for political participation, provide effecrive representation (eg. to environmentalist groups who are barely represented in the Commons) and that they provide knowledge and expertise to the government (and people).

most people in my centre did have that problemm. if they could just extend it by even 10 mins- it would be soo much better

i really hope the increase boundaries!

conclusion = MAJOR. good you did!

first part of pressure groups? as in question A about elitism and pluralism? i think you might be talking about B- the functions on pressure groups. urm, well theres 3 things that i learnedd from my book. they are:

Form governments

Ensure Representation

Uphold Legitimacy.

x
I saw the paper.

1. Pluralists vs elitists: basically the clear opposites of each other. The former believes that power is spread throughout society and the later belief that power is concentrated withing an elite or ruling class.

2. There are several functions of pressure groups including representation, keeping government in check, protecting the interests of minorities and something called 'tension release' whereby people express their discontent for a specific political issue through a pressure group.

3. Some one asked how many words you are expect to write for a 25m. Roughly 400-500 words, although some people fit more.

Good luck with the results every one.

Don't worry about Unit 2, study any past papers available and make sure to learn all the information provided by the book. The 40m is not hard as the questions are fairly predictable.
Reply 24
The questions weren't bad at all.

I just don't think there's enough time... ended up having to skip the 5 mark questions =\
MattyN
I did that question too. I just talked about PR, its benefits, and how this would work for gernal elections.

I don't know if AMS counts as PR, but I guess it does have aspects of PR. The best thing to do is not to worry about it, there's nothing you can do about it apart from revise evn more for Unit 2!

I did Politics AS last year and the KEY to every single part C question is BALANCE.

If the question was give a case for the introduction of proportional representation, they expect you to give both the argument for it and against it.

But anyways, I hope everyone found it alright! Make sure in Unit 2 you give BALANCE.
Reply 26
ManuchoGoncalves
I did Politics AS last year and the KEY to every single part C question is BALANCE.

If the question was give a case for the introduction of proportional representation, they expect you to give both the argument for it and against it.

But anyways, I hope everyone found it alright! Make sure in Unit 2 you give BALANCE.

Well, I personally didn't argue against it - I thought it was strange, but it only appeared to request that you "make out a case FOR proportional representation". If not, I'm screwed. Did everyone make a case both for and again, or were people like me in only making a case for PR?
Reply 27
chloeee!
i did elections and democracy - seriously what the HELL. the questions were actually quite good minus the 'what is legitimacy' question but they seriously need to give us more time.

LOL I second that. I did pressure groups and democracy, i thought the exam went well and I did about 2 pages (small writing) on the part c's, so about 500 words in all. :biggrin:
I did the elections and Democracy Q. At least you can all retake - i'm doing A2 so was my last chance! All went well except the part C of the democracy Q.
If it's make a case for you should also write about arguements aginst but try and knock them down... e.g some people are against the introduction of PR for Westminster elections as it can weaken the constuency MP link. However STV can be said to strenghten this link as you are more likely to find a representative who represents your view and MP's are likely to place more importance on their constituents as they know they can lose out to another member of the same party. That sort of thing with examples if poss.
Also AMS is a form of PR but you should of written about more than just AMS, but i'm sure it should be ok if you made some good points.
Reply 29
rainbowworld
I did the elections and Democracy Q. At least you can all retake - i'm doing A2 so was my last chance! All went well except the part C of the democracy Q.
If it's make a case for you should also write about arguements aginst but try and knock them down... e.g some people are against the introduction of PR for Westminster elections as it can weaken the constuency MP link. However STV can be said to strenghten this link as you are more likely to find a representative who represents your view and MP's are likely to place more importance on their constituents as they know they can lose out to another member of the same party. That sort of thing with examples if poss.
Also AMS is a form of PR but you should of written about more than just AMS, but i'm sure it should be ok if you made some good points.

Well, I'm screwed then cos I didn't make a case against :'( Gonna cry now.
D.R.E
The questions weren't bad at all.

I just don't think there's enough time... ended up having to skip the 5 mark questions =\

BUT BUT BUT

the 5 mark ones were good :/

:frown:

saw elitism v pluralism and the legitimacy one and got a boner
Reply 31
so... am i the only one around here who did parties???? I did Parties and democracy. I thought the questions for those were really good.

My teacher told me that Edexcel examiners are trying to "crack down" on the masses (85%+) of candidates who choose Pressure groups as one of their 2 questions. So that's perhaps why this elitism question threw some of you guys off guard.

For parties, you could almost predict and guess what would come up. Like in the previous 2 papers, for the parties, it was "Old conservative" vs "New conservative" then " old" vs "new" Labour so what could it POSSIBLY BE? oh, i know! Labour vs Conservative! and that's what exactly came up!
and how could anyone say "how democratic is the uk? as 25 marker essay say it's hard? it was so general, you could talk about anything and get marks.

good luck for your unit 2! Remember your examples! Appaz they're important
Reply 32
abbi.blythe
BUT BUT BUT

the 5 mark ones were good :/

:frown:

saw elitism v pluralism and the legitimacy one and got a boner

Ha, that's exactly what I thought. But I wasn't confident in being able to finish the essay questions on time so I just went for them isntead, and rightly so.

Still feel like I failed though.
Reply 33
rainbowworld

I'm doing A2's as well. I can defo kiss my uni place goodbye, that exam was awful for me, I didn't finish. :frown: The strange thing is I got a B and A in the other units, but for this one I keep getting a high D? :confused: Oh well. Good luck with your results!

What are doing to for A2's btw? I find it easier than AS. :p:
timROGERS
Well, I'm screwed then cos I didn't make a case against :'( Gonna cry now.

Don't worry. I think they still wanted a majority of points for and they should make it more clear really. I recon you could still get very high marks if it was done well and if the rest of you paper was done well it shouldn't cause too many problems. Anyway that is just what my teacher told me anyway so I guess he could be wrong.
Neelam :D
I'm doing A2's as well. I can defo kiss my uni place goodbye, that exam was awful for me, I didn't finish. :frown: The strange thing is I got a B and A in the other units, but for this one I keep getting a high D? :confused: Oh well. Good luck with your results!

What are doing to for A2's btw? I find it easier than AS. :p:

Yeah i'm thinking that! Where is your firm and what subject? What grades do you need? I don't think i'm going to get the grades I need either (AAA) however I am doing 4 subjects so this isn't the end of the world, just means I need to do better in my other 3! :s-smilie: and yeah, I got an A for Unit two but I keep getting C's in unit 1 (this one was my 3rd sitting of the exam) it's so weird!
Thanks, good luck with your results too!
Do you mean in politics? My centres doing Ideologies for A2. I find it quite hard :frown: What are you doing?
timROGERS
Yes haha. I was hoping to get this unit down so I wouldn't have to worry as much about the much more difficult Unit 2, but that's not gonna happen now. And I got screwed over for next week as well, gotta do Economics 1 on the same day :/

snap! fml!
Skipinder
erm i dont think anyone at my center had timing difficulties and we all said the questions were easy. im curious though, how much does everyone generally write for the c) questions?

question a) half a page
question b) a page
question c) 4 pages
ManuchoGoncalves

no they definitely don't. my teachers are all examiners, and it's quite clear 'make a case for' means just a one-sided argument.

you could mention arguments against, but then knock them down. eg i went through all the advantages, then mentioned that until 2010 FPTP could provide strong governments, its one advantage, but now that is gone FPTP has no more benefits...

you only mention both sides when its open ended, eg: 'should PR be introduced?' or 'how far...'
I'm pretty sure that regardless (c) questions require the candidate to offer both sides of the argument.

In all my revision textbooks it states that even the best of responses will only receive 12-13/25 if there is no balance.

Latest

Trending

Trending