The Student Room Group

Btec grade calculator for uni

This is a late one.
Just wondering if someone else could quickly calculate my grades. I need an mmm to get into uni. I took a level 3 extended diploma enterprise and entrepreneurship. My college also decided to remove one unit which was the recruitment one I think. If anyone could do this it is highly appreciated.

Unit 1- pass
Unit 2-merit
Unit3-pass
Unit 4-pass
Unit 5-distinction
Unit 6-pass
Unit 12pass
Unit 11merit
Unit 13distinction
Unit 7distinction
Unit 8pass
Unit 9pass

Unit 2,3,6,12 was exam units.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JBJ18
This is a late one.
Just wondering if someone else could quickly calculate my grades. I need an mmm to get into uni. I took a level 3 extended diploma enterprise and entrepreneurship. My college also decided to remove one unit which was the recruitment one I think. If anyone could do this it is highly appreciated.

Unit 1- pass
Unit 2-merit
Unit3-pass
Unit 4-pass
Unit 5-distinction
Unit 6-pass
Unit 12pass
Unit 11merit
Unit 13distinction
Unit 7distinction
Unit 8pass
Unit 9pass

Unit 2,3,6,12 was exam units.

You have your MMM. :biggrin:

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Enterprise and Entrepeneurship - JBJ18 - MMM.JPG
(Please double check I've entered each grade per unit correctly.)

Note that the points you get for examined unit is on a sliding scale. So you get fewer points for just scraping a Pass than you do if you were almost at a Merit. The above at the minimum points you could get for each of the examined units. If I take the maximums instead, you'd be on DMM. So you overall grade of one of those two. Well done. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Enterprise and Entrepeneurship - JBJ18 - MMM.JPG

Note that the points you get for examined unit is on a sliding scale. So you get fewer points for just scraping a Pass than you do if you were almost at a Merit. The above at the minimum points you could get for each of the examined units. If I take the maximums instead, you'd be on DMM. So you overall grade of one of those two. Well done. :smile:

Yes that’s all good,thanks for your help.

My teacher did tell me the marks I got in some of my exams but I can’t remember them, I think she said I was closer to merits than I was passes.
Reply 3

Hey I calculated my results bit I’m not 100% sure can you please help I’m doing Business extended

Unit 1 (distinction)

Unit 2 (pass)

Unit 3 (pass)

Unit 4 (distinction)

Unit 8 (merit)

Unit 27 (distinction)

Unit 19(distinction)

Unit 6 (pass)

Unit 7 (pass)

Unit 5 (distinction)

Unit 15 (distinction)

Unit 17(distinction)

Unit 21(distinction)

Unit 20 (merit)

Overall for the first year I got a merit but I’m hoping that these can give DDD or at-least DDM
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Yasir1568
Hey I calculated my results bit I’m not 100% sure can you please help I’m doing Business extended

Unit 1 (distinction)

Unit 2 (pass)

Unit 3 (pass)

Unit 4 (distinction)

Unit 8 (merit)

Unit 27 (distinction)

Unit 19(distinction)

Unit 6 (pass)

Unit 7 (pass)

Unit 5 (distinction)

Unit 15 (distinction)

Unit 17(distinction)

Unit 21(distinction)

Unit 20 (merit)

Overall for the first year I got a merit but I’m hoping that these can give DDD or at-least DDM

A Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Business consists of 13 units, as confirmed by the specification - a screenshot of which is below.

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - Size and Structure.JPG

You have listed 14 units, with no duplicates. Can you please double-check?
Reply 5

A Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Business consists of 13 units, as confirmed by the specification - a screenshot of which is below.

Ah sorry unit 17 was not meant to be on there thank you for correcting
Reply 6

Hi thanks for the reply I realised the mistake Unit 17 was not meant to be on there
Reply 7

Hey sorry
I accidentally put unit 17 which was not meant to be there thanks for the correction

OK. As the number of points associated with each external (examined) unit is based on your mark and not just you're grade, I can only estimate your overall grade.

Please check the right-most (Unit Grade) column below to ensure I've entered each of your grades into the calculator correctly. For each exam I've entered the minimum number of points you could have achieved and still received that unit grade. So the minimum overall grade you have is DDM.

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - Yasir1568 - DDM.JPG

The way external (examined) units work is on a sliding scale. Let's take unit 7 (Business Decision Making) as an example. If you'd just scraped a pass you'd get 12 points (which is what I entered above), and if you'd have just scraped a merit you'd have got 20 points. However, if you're just under a merit (so still a pass), then don't drop you down to 12 points - they give you 19. You get almost the merits points and you were almost at a merit. If you were mid-way between the two grade boundaries, you'd get "midway" points - so 16. Does that makes sense? If we do the calculation again, but assuming that you achieved the highest mark in each exam (but still within the grade we know you received) then your overall grade becomes a DDD:

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - Yasir1568 - DDD.JPG

There's no way to tell whether you have a DDM or a DDD without knowing your mark for each exam and the exam series in which you took each exam (e.g. Summer 2023) - because that tells us the applicable grade boundaires. Actually, better still would be if you know the points per exam. But people rarely know that.
Reply 9

OK. As the number of points associated with each external (examined) unit is based on your mark and not just you're grade, I can only estimate your overall grade.

Please check the right-most (Unit Grade) column below to ensure I've entered each of your grades into the calculator correctly. For each exam I've entered the minimum number of points you could have achieved and still received that unit grade. So the minimum overall grade you have is DDM.

The way external (examined) units work is on a sliding scale. Let's take unit 7 (Business Decision Making) as an example. If you'd just scraped a pass you'd get 12 points (which is what I entered above), and if you'd have just scraped a merit you'd have got 20 points. However, if you're just under a merit (so still a pass), then don't drop you down to 12 points - they give you 19. You get almost the merits points and you were almost at a merit. If you were mid-way between the two grade boundaries, you'd get "midway" points - so 16. Does that makes sense? If we do the calculation again, but assuming that you achieved the highest mark in each exam (but still within the grade we know you received) then your overall grade becomes a DDD:

There's no way to tell whether you have a DDM or a DDD without knowing your mark for each exam and the exam series in which you took each exam (e.g. Summer 2023) - because that tells us the applicable grade boundaires. Actually, better still would be if you know the points per exam. But people rarely know that.

Thank you so much that was honestly so helpful very grateful for that. I will update you with the grade information when I find out more but thank you for that brief idea. But just to confirm is the minimum grade I will get DDM thanks sorry for bothering!
Thank you so much that was honestly so helpful very grateful for that. I will update you with the grade information when I find out more but thank you for that brief idea. But just to confirm is the minimum grade I will get DDM thanks sorry for bothering!

Correct. Based upon the information you have provided and the official BTEC grade calculator (available here), your minimum overall grade is DDM.
Reply 11

where did you find that calculator
Original post by sak1stt
where did you find that calculator

I posted the link to it two messages above. But I'm happy to do so again (and not buried beneath a "here" label which is perhaps why you missed it).

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades/using-the-next-generation-btec-nqf-grade-calculator.html

It's a macro-enabled Excel spreadsheet.

Hi the Pearson calculator is not working for me
can you help me calculate mine please
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma Applied Science
Unit 1 D
Unit 2 D
Unit 3 M
Unit 4 D
Unit 5 M
Unit 6 D
Unit 7 M
Unit 9 D
Unit 10 D
Unit 11 D
Unit 14 D
Unit 16 D
Unit 21 D
Hey you helped me predict my BTEC Business Level 3 Extended Diploma results a few months ago without my actual grades, but I just received my exam results based on them. Can you help me predict the results I may get overall so I will know which to retake? Like last time, I will list all of the units and grades I received:
Unit 1 (distinction)
Unit 2 (pass)
Unit 3 (pass)
Unit 4 (distinction)
Unit 8 (merit)
Unit 27 (distinction)
Unit 19(distinction)
Unit 6 (merit)
Unit 7 (pass)
Unit 5 (distinction)
Unit 15 (distinction)
Unit 17(distinction)
Unit 20 (merit)

please may someone calculate my overall grade i took business level 3 national extended diploma
unit 1: distinction
unit 2: merit
unit 3: merit
unit 4: distinction
unit 8: distinction
unit 21: distinction
unit 6: pass
unit 7: pass
unit 9: distinction
unit 19: distinction
unit 5: distinction
unit 18: merit
unit 17: distinction
Original post by hafsaomrx
Hi the Pearson calculator is not working for me
can you help me calculate mine please
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma Applied Science
Unit 1 D
Unit 2 D
Unit 3 M
Unit 4 D
Unit 5 M
Unit 6 D
Unit 7 M
Unit 9 D
Unit 10 D
Unit 11 D
Unit 14 D
Unit 16 D
Unit 21 D

@hafsaomrx - I can only give you a range, as the external units (units 1, 3, 5 and 7 for an BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma Applied Science) are based upon your exam score - not just the grade. Based upon the grades above (and my ability to enter them into the calculator correctly!) you have got between a D*D*D and a D*D*D*. :biggrin:

I like to include a screenshot (below) just so you can check I haven't messed something up. This one is based upon the assumption that your just scraped a Merit in units 3, 5 and 7.

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Applied Science - hafsaomrx - DstarDstarD.JPG

A merit in units 3, 5 and 7 earn you between 20 and 31 points each, depending on the mark you got in each exam. The above is assuming you scored just 20 points (i.e. the bare minimum for a Merit) in each. To get a D*D*D* you'd have scored 26 points, on average, in each of them. That's a little over half-way between the Merit grade boundary and the Distinction grade boundary.
Hey you helped me predict my BTEC Business Level 3 Extended Diploma results a few months ago without my actual grades, but I just received my exam results based on them. Can you help me predict the results I may get overall so I will know which to retake? Like last time, I will list all of the units and grades I received:
Unit 1 (distinction)
Unit 2 (pass)
Unit 3 (pass)
Unit 4 (distinction)
Unit 8 (merit)
Unit 27 (distinction)
Unit 19(distinction)
Unit 6 (merit)
Unit 7 (pass)
Unit 5 (distinction)
Unit 15 (distinction)
Unit 17(distinction)
Unit 20 (merit)

@Yasir1568 - As before, without marks for your external (examined) units, I'll need to provide a range when it comes to the overall grade. You have somewhere between a DDM (which you wanted to get "at-least") and a D*DD (which is more than the DDD you were hoping for), depending on your exam marks. A screen-shot of the "minimum" scenario is below (please check I've entered your units/grades correctly).

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - Yasir1568 - DDM - Ver2.JPG

I realise that DDM to D*DD is quite a range, but the range of points you get can for a given grade in the external exams is quite large. You will note that the "maximum" scenario below has exactly the same unit grades, but the increased points estimate for the external (examined) units means a increased overall grade.

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - Yasir1568 - DstarDD.JPG

Let's hope it's at least the DDD you were looking for! :crossedf:
@Yasir1568 - As before, without marks for your external (examined) units, I'll need to provide a range when it comes to the overall grade. You have somewhere between a DDM (which you wanted to get "at-least") and a D*DD (which is more than the DDD you were hoping for), depending on your exam marks. A screen-shot of the "minimum" scenario is below (please check I've entered your units/grades correctly).
BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - Yasir1568 - DDM - Ver2.JPG
I realise that DDM to D*DD is quite a range, but the range of points you get can for a given grade in the external exams is quite large. You will note that the "maximum" scenario below has exactly the same unit grades, but the increased points estimate for the external (examined) units means a increased overall grade.
BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - Yasir1568 - DstarDD.JPG
Let's hope it's at least the DDD you were looking for! :crossedf:

If I turn one of my coursework units from merit to distinction will I be sure to have DDD. And thank you so much you’ve helped relieve me of so much anxiety 🙏
If I turn one of my coursework units from merit to distinction will I be sure to have DDD. And thank you so much you’ve helped relieve me of so much anxiety 🙏

The coursework units in which you got a merit are both 60 GLH. A merit in a 60 GLH unit internal (coursework) unit earns you 10 points, whilst a distinction earns you 16 points. So you'd bump the 209 points which the top screenshot shows (which is a DDM) up to 215. For a DDD you need 216 points. Close, but not quite there. :frown:

So to be sure of the DDD you have to turn both of those merits into distinctions. In reality, you may well be at DDD anyway, and you've very likely to be at a DDD if you just turn one of those merits into a distinction. But there's a slim chance (if you just scraped the grades you've listed for your examined units) that this is not the case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending