The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MagicNMedicine
The £6000 per household was referring to the amount of government borrowing in the past year, which is about £156bn.

The total national debt is £893.4bn so that would mean about £34500 per household.

The approach you are suggesting is to pay off the debt through a short term increase in taxation, the problem is when you take more of everyones disposable income, they have less to spend in the economy so aggregate demand falls, businesses realise they are overproducing and so cut back and lay people off. Unemployment rises, and taxation revenues from profits fall so the government has to then make up the shortfall in taxes through borrowing.

Really the only way to pay off the debt is to take a long term approach of a sensible fiscal position (government spending within our means) and promoting economic growth so that taxation revenues gradually rise and can chip away at the debt.

The current edginess about the size of the deficit (difference between govt spending and taxation receipts ie what we borrow on the markets) is that if the people who we borrow from start thinking we are never going to get round to paying back, they will refuse to lend to us unless we offer them a higher rate of interest, which makes debt repayment harder.

:congrats: I can always rely on you to bring some sanity to these economic discussions.
Reply 21
Your figures are completely wrong. UK National Debt - £156 billion?! Hahaha :rofl:. We wish it was that low! The current figure is ~£908 billion and expected to rise to £1 trillion this year.

The current debt is £14,518 per person, not per household, per person. Every household in the UK will be paying ~£1,900 this year just to cover then interest on the loan.

In answer to your question, no I would not pay the money as it is the government's fault it got this way in the first place, through reckless spending of taxpayer's money and reckless borrowing. I don't intend to give them any more. Us paying it off will just encourage them to do it in future - they have to face the music just like banks like Lehman Bros had to, otherwise what's to stop the government being reckless again if they know we'll just pay it off.
Reply 22
DarkWhite
Erm, I'm a student, increasing my personal debt by thousands every year. How do you expect me to pay £6000 to bail out a government whose predecessors created such a large deficit?

It's a nice idea and all, but too many people wouldn't be able to afford it, and I don't really see why we should pay it - we didn't cause the mess.

Public sector cuts can rake in millions, so let's start there.

maybe you personally didn't cause the mess, but the fact is the country is in mess, and instead of blaming each other we should work together to solve the problem. what do you want to do, hang the bankers that caused this mess? would it solve your problems? would your personal debts stop rising?
Tefhel
Your figures are completely wrong. UK National Debt - £156 billion?! Hahaha :rofl:. We wish it was that low! The current figure is ~£908 billion and expected to rise to £1 trillion this year.

The current debt is £14,518 per person, not per household, per person. Every household in the UK will be paying ~£1,900 this year just to cover then interest on the loan.

In answer to your question, no I would not pay the money as it is the government's fault it got this way in the first place, through reckless spending of taxpayer's money and reckless borrowing. I don't intend to give them any more. Us paying it off will just encourage them to do it in future - they have to face the music just like banks like Lehman Bros had to, otherwise what's to stop the government being reckless again if they know we'll just pay it off.

No it was not it was due to the government bailing out the banks, we had deficits in previous years because of government increased spending on education and health. How is that reckless :rolleyes:
Reply 24
yoyo462001
No it was not it was due to the government bailing out the banks, we had deficits in previous years because of government increased spending on education and health. How is that reckless :rolleyes:

Edit: oops I misread

When you are borrowing more than you can afford, that is reckless. Like someone remortgaging their house to give the money to charity, that'd still be reckless.
Reply 25
vahik92
Im not saying cuts dont have to be made in public services, but how can you not give a damn about some of the public services which you depend on? could you imagine the world without free schools, without health services or streets with not a single police? Poor people will be the first people who will suffer the consequences, but sooner or later it will harm even the rich. if the public hasn't got much money, they're not going to spend money on businesses that rich own.

Firstly, we're talking about a few funding cuts here, not the abolition of the police force.

Yes, I can imagine a world with very reduced state education, very reduced state healthcare and a very reduced benefits system. I don't believe in abolishing public services entirely, but there are plenty of people who do. Less taxation means more money to spend, which is beneficial for the economy. Most people pay a huge proportion of their income to the state, and to suggest that we have to give them a large sum on top of this to somehow fix the economy is ridiculous. I suggest you do some research on political theory and economics.
Tefhel
Edit: oops I misread

When you are borrowing more than you can afford, that is reckless. Like someone remortgaging their house to give the money to charity, that'd still be reckless.

You said 'through reckless spending of taxpayer's money and reckless borrowing', I'm showing you why it wasn't reckless, you don't seem to even know why we had deficits in previous years nor why we have a high deficit now. Furthermore you edit about 'facing the music' like Lehman brothers is quite ridiculous since we are always paying off national debt through our taxes.
vahik92
maybe you personally didn't cause the mess, but the fact is the country is in mess, and instead of blaming each other we should work together to solve the problem. what do you want to do, hang the bankers that caused this mess? would it solve your problems? would your personal debts stop rising?

You're missing the point. It's not financially feasible to require everybody to pay a fixed amount, or even any amount. Apart from the fact that many simply cannot afford more than a few quid towards it, it's not helping the economy grow to prevent these problems occuring again; all it's doing is cutting the deficit, which is important, but cutting it using sustainable techniques is even more important.

On top of that, we do have the option of simply leaving the country. Who says I even want to stay here? People leaving the country probably won't help the problem.

I didn't say hang the bankers, or pass the buck; you're jumping to conclusions. The economy can be properly fixed so that we're prepared for the future, rather than just patching a hole with duct tape for somebody to take a lighter to it.
Reply 28
yoyo462001
You said 'through reckless spending of taxpayer's money and reckless borrowing', I'm showing you why it wasn't reckless, you don't seem to even know why we had deficits in previous years nor why we have a high deficit now. Furthermore you edit about 'facing the music' like Lehman brothers is quite ridiculous since we are always paying off national debt through our taxes.

I'm studying economics so I know how taxation works, Mr Patronising. I was responding to the OP's suggestion that we give the government additional money.
Tefhel
I'm studying economics so I know how taxation works, Mr Patronising. I was responding to the OP's suggestion that we give the government additional money.

Yes but saying that the government recklessly spent is misleading, I imagine you've just looked at the figures and made that assumption. All i'm saying is that it wasn't reckless, they had decent fiscal rules which they adhered to before the financial crisis. I'm sorry if i sounded patronising.
Reply 30
Private or national debt, the distinction is an irrelevance.

We should talk about overall levels of debt or not at all.

Anything else is misleading and disingenuous.

What does it mean to cut the national debt in half, if its only a tiny proportion of total debt?
Reply 31
yoyo462001
we are always paying off national debt through our taxes.

Not if you're running a budget deficit you're not.

Every year since 2002 has been a budget deficit thanks to Labour budgets.

No, because banks and the government would just spend that money on mortgages for people who can't afford them, and expenses (government).

Im not personally in debt and have gone to lengths to stay out of debt, so no, Im not sorting someone else's mess out
DarkWhite
The economy can be properly fixed so that we're prepared for the future, rather than just patching a hole with duct tape for somebody to take a lighter to it.

This is what its all about.

If instead of the economy, it was a situation of four people living in a student house and one of them had been racking up a deficit of £100 a month for the past year, and now owed £1200 (assuming no interest!)

The other three could chip in £400 each and that would sort the debt problem. Next mont though if he still had a deficit of £100 he would have a debt of £100 again.

What makes this very difficult is that fiscal policy is set by governments, and governments are political parties who are dependent on winning elections, which is why you never get a government running a net surplus, because they will either want to offer tax cuts or spending increases to get votes.
RyanT

Yes we are :facepalm:, The bank of England is always repaying back bills that are maturing every year. If i remember the figures we had a surplus for 3-4 years prior, followed by a budget deficit of 3.3% every year since 2006 (due to the fiscal rules we set out). From 2007 it started increasing. This is the common misconception, that running a deficit is bad, IT IS NOT. It depends solely on the ability of the government to pay it off. We've ran deficits for the majority of the past 50 years, what also important is what its been spent on.
Reply 35
yoyo462001
Yes we are :facepalm:, The bank of England is always repaying back bills that are maturing every year.

If the total size of your debt is not decreasing, then you're not paying your debt off. You're servicing it. If I pay off 100 t-bills each year, using the money from raising another 100: then I have not paid off anything.

Your argument sounds really stupid and suggests you're out of your depth.

yoyo462001
what also important is what its been spent on.

The department for work and pensions spent 135 billion in 2008/2009.

Let me think about that one. :rolleyes:
RyanT

Now lets have a look at which years had budget deficits during the last Tory government

The Tories had the peak proceeds of the North Sea Oil revenue, sale of the council houses and the industries which they privatised, and they still managed to run up budget deficits.
yoyo462001

You could say it was reckless to be running deficits during periods of economic prosperity though. I suppose that's debatable though.
RyanT

That's kind of misleading if you say it like that. If we run a budget deficit there is a net increase in national debt. The government still repays government bonds as they mature, in both deficit/surplus years, but issues more overall in a deficit year.
RyanT
If the total size of your debt is not decreasing, then you're not paying your debt off. You're servicing it. If I pay off 100 t-bills each year, using the money from raising another 100: then I have not paid off anything.

Your argument sounds really stupid and suggests you're out of your depth.

The department for work and pensions spent 135 billion in 2008/2009.

Let me think about that one. :rolleyes:

Servicing the debt is certainly the better word to use, however the government is still paying of past debt (regardless of the method) which is what I was referring to.

Post 2007-2008, its hard to criticise the government financial control since we were edging closer to a deep recession, naturally we going to fall further into a deficit. The government has aimed to have spending not on investment to net out across the term of government, and they would have been on course for that. This is hardly reckless spending, they had rules which they followed, ND was never above 40% spending on health and education increased, fiscal policy was reasonably tighter than its been in the past 20 years, check the figures (ND & Budgets) since 1990 and you'll see across this time period our deficits have been very controlled. Showing me a figure from a department is meaningless, it's like me saying i spent 100 pound this pound and someone assuming that i was reckless in my spending.

Latest

Trending

Trending