The Student Room Group

OCR BIOLOGY UNIT 2 F212 8TH JUNE - revision thread

I haven't seen an official revision thread for this, people are just adding to last year's thread...

Im soo worried about this stupid unit I find it extremely boring..especially the biological molecules and BIODIVERSITY :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

has anyone got any revison notes they have made on the biological molecules?? I just DONT get it...
and if you have any questions post them here we can all help eachother get through this retarded unit. :woo:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
biological molecuels are extremely easy, I would advise remembering the basic structure of a protein, and the different bonds you can have on R groups such as disulfide bridges. Also all the different combinations of R groups you can have could prove good to know, as well as phospholipids and triglycerides. Then just remember the glycogen cellulose haemoglobin structures etc...
Reply 2
Biological molecules are especially easy as stated above, Biodiversity is horrid though and I agree with you it really is boring I've got a whole unit of it to revise yet and I really can't be assedd.
are there any other resources i can use to revise biology? I have done all the available papers, but still feel I need to do some more. Any ideas?
Hey,

I've attatched my personal notes on the biology specification. There's a lot of spelling and grammar errors which I can't be asked to fix, but hopefully it might be of some use.
Reply 5
what are the advantages of using micro - organisms in food production?
TX22
what are the advantages of using micro - organisms in food production?

1) The environment in which microoganisms grow best is easy to create and cheap.(On top of this, the materials on which the process takes place are cheap)
2) Microoganisms speed up the production of food substantially
3) Some foods produced by microoganisms last longer than the raw products. For instance, cheese lasts longer than milk.
Reply 7
Acta Non Verba
Hey,

I've attatched my personal notes on the biology specification. There's a lot of spelling and grammar errors which I can't be asked to fix, but hopefully it might be of some use.

my god, that must have taken you ages to type up lol!
I'm trying to figure out how to attach my notes, but it keeps saying the file is too big :woo:
Reply 8
Acta Non Verba
Hey,

Omg those notes are amazing, you really are going to do very well.. :smile:

Can anyone help me, i am so stuck with remembering the different types of bonds and links there are? and how to identify them?

Help much appreciated... thanks
ejl1992
Omg those notes are amazing, you really are going to do very well.. :smile:

Can anyone help me, i am so stuck with remembering the different types of bonds and links there are? and how to identify them?

Help much appreciated... thanks

Thanks to both the above posts, the notes took around five hours - I always seem to lose marks in the exams I do because there's little things on the specification that I didn't know so I decided to do these notes a while back to make sure I had a good idea of what was on the spec.

Different types of bonds:
* Glycocidic bonds - These are the bonds formed when two carbs bind together.
* Peptide bonds - The ones formed by proteins.
* Ester bonds are the ones formed when a fatty acid joins to a gylcerol.

^^^ Those bonds are the basic bonds involved in the three biological molecules we look at.

Other types of bond:

Hydrogen bonds - These are invovled in mainly proteins and water. Water as you know is H2O, the oxygen in water has a slightly stronger pull on electrons than hydrogen does - which results in the electrons in water being closer towards the oxygen. In turn, this means that oxygen has a slight negative charge and hydrogen a slightly positive one. A hydrogen bond is formed (in the case of water) when, for instance, the positive hydrogen on one water is attracted to the negative hydrogen on another water.

Disulphide bonds - If you look at the structure of an amino acid, you'll see the R group. In the case of one amino acid, cysteine (not sure on the spelling) the R group has a sulphur atom. When two cysteines come into contact with each other these sulphur atoms form a bond between each other. You'll see these bonds in the tertiary structure of proteins and in antibodies.

Ionic interactions - I think that you only see this in proteins. (in this spec) Basically, some parts of of the polypeptide chain will have a positive charge while others will have a negative charge.

Hydrophobic/hydrophillic interactions - Same as the above, except between hydrophic parts of the chain and hydrophillic ones.

Hopefully that didn't appear too patronizing. D:
eurgh ive had enough of this unit, 3rd time lucky for me :woo:
eugh, i am seriously not looking forward to the Biodiversity and Conservation bit. All those laws and CITEs crap is just annoying. Also has anyone got the January 2010 paper for this module??
Reply 12
thanyou very much

Acta Non Verba

you have helped lots... just been through your spec notes, got to page 9... no rest for the wicked eh...
Reply 13
My worry is definately food and health and biodiversity and I've got A2 nest week aswell..but bonds should not be difficult if you do chemistry..No sleep tonight
Reply 14
Acta Non Verba
Hey,

life saver。。。。。。
Reply 15
Does any1 here have the January 2010 paper for this unit?
Reply 16
My friend sent the January paper to me yesterday.
I've just uploaded it here;

http://www.4shared.com/document/j3hWoyf_/4_AS_Bio_F212_Exam_Paper_Jan10.html

http://www.4shared.com/document/bICHxTrr/6_AS_Bio_F212_Mark_Schemes_Jan.html

btw thanks so much to the person posting the notes over the spec, huge help :smile:
Reply 17

Heyyy again.... fancy helping with the B and T lymphocytes stuff?
Acta Non Verba
Hey,

These are so helpful :yep: Thank you for uploading them (:

I absolutely hate this module. Biodiversity is so booooooring. I've done no revision either cos I've been concentrating on my Chemistry which was today :s-smilie: Ah well.
Reply 19
B lymphocytes are from bone marrow and T lymphocytesare from the thymus glandsi think. they both do similar things to respond to infection. theyboth do clonal selection wherethe correctclone ischosenby being complementarytothe antigen on the pathogen. then they both do clonal expansion bymitosis to make lots of replicates of themselves. then the undergo differentiation.

B cells go to plasma cells and memory cells

T cells go to helper, killer and memory cells

Latest