The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
BookWormShanti
Yeah, that's what I wrote. Also put that maybe the one near the road used the vehicles to transport its seeds? And something else I've forgotten!

Thought it was ok - but what was with that question about the aparatus? Totally mucked that up :s-smilie:!!

Thought it was ok, quite easy - but there was so much how science works and nothing on menstrual cylce really, alcohol/cigarettes, co-ordination & control, plant cloning, not much on immune response...so annoying when I revised it all!! :frown: Think I've done allright, but I'll be annoyed with anything under 40, really want 95+%... fingers crossed!! Now we have to wait FOREVER to find out!

How are you guys feeling about Chemistry next week and Physics the week after? :smile:

Didnt the question say describe not explain??. It said describe the dispersion of the plants or somthing like that right??. So what you guys said is wrong isent it, as the question never said explain??
Reply 21
How about the title questions, it said why cant it be justified or somthing like that i think like 4 marks or somthing...
Reply 22
it was the one about beer
Reply 23
king101
Didnt the question say describe not explain??. It said describe the dispersion of the plants or somthing like that right??. So what you guys said is wrong isent it, as the question never said explain??

Nah, the first question said describe the distribution of one of the plants, and then explain the distribution of both of them.

king101
it was the one about beer

do you mean what did we write?
Reply 24
Ahh i missed the 2 other ones about explaining then, how many marks were they worth, and also
For the adult cell cloning one:

adult stem cell
remove nucleus
add nucleus from frozen
fuse together
place egg in a surrogate mother
clone will be born

I got it the wrong way round do you still get marks if you got those points in...
Reply 25
So what did the describe question say again?
Reply 26
what would be like 25/45 would it be like a B?
Reply 27
Ahhh wait a miniute!!! both of the explaing ones were worth 2 marks i think right!!! so if i described them i would get one mark right??, i wrote liek for the white spiked plant it decreased as they go away from the road so i would get a mark for both the explaing ones... it was worth 2 marks right?? so would i??
for the suggest why the data is as it is, I didn't mention sulfur dioxide or exhaust fumes. I simply said as one increases the other decreases as they share the same food source and the one which only grew further away from the road did so because it was not adapted for growing near to the road...
Reply 29
BookWormShanti
Nah, the first question said describe the distribution of one of the plants, and then explain the distribution of both of them.

Right -
the describe wanted you to just state what the graph was telling us, the explain asked something like "explain what might be the reason for the plantain growing near the road and the white dead nettle growing further back"

I put that the plantain may prefer polluted air and also may also be growing low to the ground therefore the white dead nettle, which may prefer cleaner air, may be higher growing and compete with the plantain for light so therefore the plantain has adapted and grows closer to the road where the dead nettle doesn't like to grow.

I can't remember what was said with regards the question on the heart disease deaths. I think it just asked what we thought might be the cause for more heart disease in the 40 - 60 age range. I said cholesterol build up and a more stagnant lifestyle. I also wondered about stress too, but I'm not sure how "scientific" that would sound, so crossed it out as it only asked for 2 anyway.
Reply 30
Ah, how much was both of the Explain questions worth?.
uh oh i had the test today too... in the drugs one i wrote preclinical testing and testing on humans twice (for side effects and effectiveness of the drug) does anyone know if this is right??

thx
Reply 32
amina khan
uh oh i had the test today too... in the drugs one i wrote preclinical testing and testing on humans twice (for side effects and effectiveness of the drug) does anyone know if this is right??

thx

I think it's:
1. testing on human tissue and organs (dead ones!)
2. testing on animals for side effects amongst other things
3. clinical trials on human volunteers and using a placebo to see if the drug makes a difference. HTH
Reply 33
You dont need to write why do you? as the question says list just 3 ways. I wrote:
1) Test in Labratory
2)Test on live animal
3)Test on human volunteers (in a clincal trial (i think i wrote this))
Reply 34
king101
what would be like 25/45 would it be like a B?

Could be an A mate, I've seen at least two past papers where A* was 28! and they were pretty simple.
Reply 35
0.o, our paper was very hard though.... hmm, i think i got the full plant section wrong and the equiptment on the beer one and thats all. Do you think i can still reach an A or A*. How much was the plant section and the equiptment section worth and also the beer one?
Reply 36
Did anyone notice the second question, which I think has 3 marks going on about quadrats? There is no mention of quadrats in the text book, or specification? Are they allowed to do this????!!!!!!!!
king101
I think you guys got the question wrong because it said, like describe why, can anyone remember it? I wrote, somthing like there is more whatever plant near the road, whilst the other plant whatever its name is away from the road. it dosent say explain did it? am i right?

First there was a 1 marker for describing the distribution of one type of plant.
Then there was a question saying suggest an explanation for:
The distribution of white deadnettle plants
The distribution of plantain plants
king101
I think you guys got the question wrong because it said, like describe why, can anyone remember it? I wrote, somthing like there is more whatever plant near the road, whilst the other plant whatever its name is away from the road. it dosent say explain did it? am i right?

First there was a 1 marker for describing the distribution of one type of plant.
Then there was a question saying suggest an explanation for:
The distribution of white deadnettle plants
The distribution of plantain plants
Reply 39
bimblebee
Did anyone notice the second question, which I think has 3 marks going on about quadrats? There is no mention of quadrats in the text book, or specification? Are they allowed to do this????!!!!!!!!

Yeah that bugged me too, I'm a home student so unless you've actually used a quadrant in fieldwork, which I hadn't, I use equipment I find around the house!

I invented something LOL!

Latest

Trending

Trending