The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No No NO!

No one deserves to die no matter how evil a thing they have done (if they are a major threat to society then lock them up). Killing a murderer makes us almost as bad the murderer themselves.
No.

The idea that people don't fear prison reminds me of that woman on Questiontime last night. If I can't afford a PS3, I can just go to prison and play it. :rolleyes:
Reply 22
why should my taxes pay to keep evil people alive?
I understand it would have to be something really really bad, but maybe those disgusting people who carry knife and guns would think twice if they could be sat in an electric chair for it.
Reply 23
Costs more money than life in prison.

Also say you kill one person you know you will be killed for it, so why stop at 1?
Reply 24
Broderss
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

I think all criminals should be put to work while in prison though, like America.

yes!! they should earn their keep!
Yes, the government needs to cut money and we are wasting far too much on rehabilitation which - lets be honest - 9 times out of 10 doesn't work. It seems the best way to go, but of course only for serious crimes such as paedophilia and murder ect
Reply 26
pina.Love
no but I think they should send those stupid chavs that keep reoffending to military school or the army.

Why are you discriminating against 'chavs'? Why not send all reoffenders to military school or the army?
I think it should be AN option not THE option. The primary goal of any judge us to protect the community, not to rehabilitate criminals and there are some criminals who shouldnt EVER be released and they are. We have a recidivism rate of upwards of 70% in this country. I am talking about violent criminals, in my opinion a cold blooded killer who is a danger to the community should be executed for our safety because in this country life doesnt mean life in prison. So many violent criminals re offend and go on to kill innocent people.

This is also with regards to unquestionable guilt - DNA, finger prints etc and cases where someone has admitted doing the crime.
Reply 28
fifitheflowertot
It would bring down crime rates because people might actually be scared of the consequence of commiting crime.

Do you have evidence for this claim?
Reply 29
fifitheflowertot
yes but only for really serious crimes such as murder etc.
Here are my reasons:
1.If someone is prepared to take a life they should be prepared for thiers to be taken
2.Most prisoners when released just re-offend anyway e.g Jon Venables
3.It would bring down crime rates because people might actually be scared of the consequence of commiting crime and then in the case of murders save more innocent lifes.
and many more reasons that i can't be bothered to list at the moment.

1. But who are we to take their life?
2. If it is a murder sentence, it should be for life and hence they shouldn't be allowed out.
3. There is no proof capital punishment acts a better deterrance.
Broderss
1. But who are we to take their life?
2. If it is a murder sentence, it should be for life and hence they shouldn't be allowed out.
3. There is no proof capital punishment acts a better deterrance.

well it is just my opinion which i am entitled to
Reply 31
.:Doctor:.
Yes, the government needs to cut money

Will introducing the death penalty actually save money?

In the United States, many states are actually thinking of lifting the death penalty becuase it costs too much.

[QUOTE=.[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]octor:.]and we are wasting far too much on rehabilitation which - lets be honest - 9 times out of 10 doesn't work.
Evidence?

[QUOTE=.[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]octor:.]but of course only for serious crimes such as paedophilia and murder ect

Pedophilia is not a crime. It is a disorder. I assume you are referring to the sexual abuse of children? If so, how far would someone who intends to sexually abuse a child have to go to deserve the death penalty?
Reply 32
fifitheflowertot

Yes, it is your opinion and you're absolutely entitled to it. However, you could make an attempt to defend your views.
Reply 33
the law says do not kill but if C.P was introduced, then wouldnt that be hypocritical of em'
If I got murdered I'd want RETRIBUTION!
Reply 35
fifitheflowertot

An uninformed and poorly constructed one.

You could at least defend your opinions and give reasons why you think they're right.
Reply 36
No. What if they make a mistake (which has happened), an apology after you're dead isn't much good, at least with prison you can have some part of a life left if you're lucky.
Absolutely not. The death penalty is one of the few issues I would march in the street against should it be reintroduced.

1. How to prevent the deaths of innocents? There has been a catalogue of wrongful convictions in the US that have resulted in innocent people being put on Death Row, and often killed before the truth is uncovered.
2. The state should not have the power to take life outside of legitimate, internationally-sanctioned wars.
3. It is a penalty that automatically assumes that a guilty person cannot be rehabilitated by society, and doesn't even try to fix the problem. It is 100% punishment, 0% rehabilitation, and thus from the perspective of society nothing is gained.
4. The right to life is inalienable as determined by the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights - states taking individual lives contravenes that principle, now recognised by almost all states in the world.
5. It is an ineffective deterrent against murder given that most murders are not pre-meditated, but random acts of violence.
6. It delivers little justice for the victim or for society - it purportedly delivers vengeance on behalf of both, but not justice.

It'll be over my dead body before they reintroduce the death penalty in the UK.
Hostin
Do you have evidence for this claim?

Kenneth C. Land, Raymond H. C. Teske, Jr., & Hui Zheng
The Short-Term Effects of Executions on Homicides: Deterrence, Displacement, or Both?
Robert Weisberg
The Death Penalty Meets Social Science: Deterrence and Jury Behavior Under New Scrutiny
Joanna M. Shepherd, Clemson University
Murders of Passion, Execution Delays, and the Deterrence of Capital Punishment
Paul R. Zimmerman
State Executions, Deterrence and the Incidence of Murder
Hashem Dezhbakhsh, Paul H. Rubin, & Joanna M. Shepherd
Department of Economics, Emory University
Does Capital Punishment Have a Deterrent Effect? New Evidence from Postmoratorium Panel Data
Isaac Ehrlich, "The Deterrent Effect of Capital Punishment A Matter of Life and Death" American Economic Review, June 1975
Isaac Ehrlich, "Capital Punishment and Deterrence: Some Further Thoughts," Journal of Political Economy, 1977.
Kenneth Wolpin, "Capital Punishment and Homicide in England: A Summary of Results," American Economic Review, 1978-MAY.
Stephen Layson, "Homicide and Deterrence: Another View of the Canadian Time-Series Evidence," Canadian Journal of Economics, February 1983.
Stephen Layson, "Homicide and Deterrence: A Reexamination of the United States Time-Series Evidence," Southern Economic Journal, July 1985.
L. Phillips and S. Ray, "Evidence on the Identification and Causality Dispute about the Death Penalty," Applied Time-Series Data, (1982).
No as I would not wish to see an innocent person die. Think of all the miscarriages of justice over the years.

Can't see Parliament voting yes anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending