The Student Room Group

Becoming an air hostess/working in tourism

Hi. I am currently averaging a first after second year and hope to finish with probably a 2:1 or hopefully a first. I'm starting to think about careers and wanted something where I could travel for a few years after uni practising my languages. I thought about holiday rep but I'm not outgoing enough and have decided I'm interested in working as an air hostess but apparently the height restriction is 5ft 2in? I'm between 5ft and 5ft 1in =( Would it still be worth applying?

Not sure what I want to do in the long run, not really interested in doing an MA and don't want to teach/interpret/translate. I'd rather work in sales or more preferably tourism. I've got experience as a sales assistant - would this help my application and has anyone got any advice? Thanks in advance =)
Reply 1
The height restriction is bull, my sister is 4 foot 8in and works for virgin atlantic.

The whole "travel" thing is exactly NOT what you are expecting, the most you'll get is half a day in a country before you have to work again and "practising your language skills..."

Even I can say "Would you like Tea or Coffee?" or "Would you like a newspaper sir?" in 14 languages... ( ^^)
I too really wanted to be an airhostess... but then I looked into it and saw the starting salary of 12,000£! Hmmm although that was a good few years now & I've no idea of current salary packages.

I doubt the inch lacking in height would be a major disadvantage. Though perhaps if you did get an interview you'd have to say something better than - "'cuz I wana travel the world and that" ...

Howsy about going into the hotel industry, as in hotel management etc...? I've not looked into it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the big international hotels had some sort of grad scheme... Oh & interestingly, check out the Emirates website as their company has a whole heap of job opportunities other than air hostessing!

All the best :smile:
Reply 3
I'll (hopefully) be starting uni in 2011 doing exactly the same course as you! I'm also interested in aviation, but I'm hoping to become a pilot. (I nearly have my PPL and will continue towards my ATPL after uni). Just to let you know, you will find that you will have to start working for Ryanair or easyJet and work your way up unless you are lucky and start off higher up. Wages are generally poor, hours are long and unsociable and you can get moved around like crazy. To top this off you have to pay for training and uniforms. You will also find you will not have the opportunity to speak the language as airlines (by ICAO law) have English speaking staff. You will also find with the low cost short haul airlines you will not have any stop overs and will probably never step foot on foreign soil while working as you stay on the aircraft.

If you are just interested in cabin crew so you can see the world and speak your languages I don't think you will enjoy it!
Reply 4
one of my mums friends daugthers went to university, didn't even do a language degree but got a job working as the air hostess for the french football team. I think it will be very rare to find a job such as this but she enjoys it enormously as she gets to travel all around the world and she is fluent in french without knowing a lot to start with.
Reply 5
Have you considered working on a cruise ship?

Latest

Trending

Trending