The Student Room Group

Are grades alone enough to get into Paramedic Sciences?

I am currently studying an access to higher education course in Applied Sciences. I previously was an air hostess and am applying to several universities to get into a Paramedic Sciences course.
I am aiming to get the requirement grades but was wondering if my experience (in hospitality) and the grades alone would secure me an offer on a course?
Paramedic Science is a super course to apply for!

Many people would be surprised how many transferrable skills you have probably developed from air-hosting, therefore I would recommend reviewing and linking all of your experience to the NHS constitution values.(Mentioned below and follow this link for more info: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-nhs-constitution-for-england/the-nhs-constitution-for-england)

When writing your personal statement and during any potential interviews, make sure you can provide examples and demonstrate those values, as they specifically align with the code of conduct for paramedics/ allied health professionals. Top tip: Try and imagine your customers on flights from air-hosting as potential patients in your care.

We recommend focusing on the values:

Working together with patients

Respect and dignity

Commitment of quality of care

Compassion

Improving lives

Everyone counts

If you feel worried about your experience, please remember it is always good, if you want to do anything extra or even volunteer for an hour, as it can make a huge difference and provide you with other examples to link to the values. Some examples are:

Springpod (https://www.springpod.com/virtual-work-experience/search?refinementList%5Bformat%5D%5B0%5D=COHORT&refinementList%5Bformat%5D%5B1%5D= ON_DEMAND&refinementList%5Bstatuses%5D%5B0%5D=OPEN&refinementList%5Bstatuses%5D%5B1%5D=OPEN_FOR_APPLICATION

NHS Volunteering - (https://volunteering.england.nhs.uk/)

Good Luck!
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by KateBowyer
I am currently studying an access to higher education course in Applied Sciences. I previously was an air hostess and am applying to several universities to get into a Paramedic Sciences course.
I am aiming to get the requirement grades but was wondering if my experience (in hospitality) and the grades alone would secure me an offer on a course?

Hi,

My name is Ellen and I am a second-year Student Paramedic at Surrey University. I am glad to hear that you are interested in the course. Grades are the foundation of what universities look for. Health science courses require more than just grades, which the Universities are aware of and actively encourage. Any work experience is useful, it doesn't need to be clinical although useful. If you can show and describe how your work experience, volunteering or charity work, whichever it is, has benefitted you and taught or developed the skills needed to be a paramedic.
By looking at the NHS values, this may help you to point you in the direction of the values that universities look for in a person, as well as the grades. I hope this helps.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the course please don't hesitate to ask.

Ellen
BSc Paramedic Science
University of Surrey
Reply 3
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi,

My name is Ellen and I am a second-year Student Paramedic at Surrey University. I am glad to hear that you are interested in the course. Grades are the foundation of what universities look for. Health science courses require more than just grades, which the Universities are aware of and actively encourage. Any work experience is useful, it doesn't need to be clinical although useful. If you can show and describe how your work experience, volunteering or charity work, whichever it is, has benefitted you and taught or developed the skills needed to be a paramedic.
By looking at the NHS values, this may help you to point you in the direction of the values that universities look for in a person, as well as the grades. I hope this helps.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the course please don't hesitate to ask.

Ellen
BSc Paramedic Science
University of Surrey

Thank you Ellen, I really appreciate your response!

Quick Reply

Latest