The Student Room Group

Becoming a pilot, A-Level subject choices

I am a year 12 A-Level student aspiring to be a pilot. I am currently studying, English Language, Applied Science and Psychology. I plan on picking up A-Level Maths on top of this, do you think I can get into university to study in aviation with these subjects?
You don't need to go to university to become a pilot. Most pilots don't have a degree and very few degrees come with any pilot training.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
You don't need to go to university to become a pilot. Most pilots don't have a degree and very few degrees come with any pilot training.
what’s the best route then?
Original post by denizesmati

Generally - be rich to afford the training costs of £70-150k (even if you take a degree that "includes" pilot training this will be an extra ~£90k on top of your course fees)

Alternatively be accepted by an airline for a funded training place (although as I understand it these are no longer common/provided)

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/transport-and-logistics/how-to-become-a-pilot-in-the-uk

If you want to learn for free/reasonable amounts then the best route would be to join the RAF but that obviously comes with extra baggage
Original post by denizesmati

Hi mate, I am a pilot at the moment, working towards my commercial license. You can get started by going to a local flight school and doing a discovery flight. I would reccommend doing your training pay as you go, where you pay for every hour you fly. It is much safer financially than going to these big schools like CAE, Leading edge who ask for big payments up front, last year 2 schools like this (very well known and respected) went out of business taking students money with them.
I do a complete breakdown of the journey to becoming and airline pilot with the cost breakdown in this post:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7383413#post98829276
Don't join the RAF. They're wrapping themselves up in political correctness and woke nonsense.

Become a real pilot and join the Fleet Air Arm. But beware; military pilot training will not afford you any civilian qualifications at all and you will have to undertake a conversion course to go and work on the airlines. But you will learn actual flying skills...which is better than spending years flying what is basically just a big bus.

Quick Reply

Latest