The Student Room Group

Man Grows pea plant inside lung

Just when you think you've heard it all:

A Massachusetts man who was rushed to hospital with a collapsed lung came home with an unusual diagnosis: a pea plant was growing in his lung.

Ron Sveden had been battling emphysema for months when his condition deteriorated.

He was steeling himself for a cancer diagnosis when X-rays revealed the growth in his lung.

Doctors believe that Mr Sveden ate the pea at some point, but it "went down the wrong way" and sprouted.

"One of the first meals I had in the hospital after the surgery had peas for the vegetable. I laughed to myself and ate them," Mr Sveden told a local Boston TV reporter.

Mr Sveden said the plant was about half an inch (1.25cm) in size.

"Whether this would have gone full-term and I'd be working for the Jolly Green Giant, I don't know. I think the thing that finally dawned on me is that it wasn't the cancer," Mr Sveden said.

He is currently recovering at home with his wife Nancy, who joked that God must have a sense of humour.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10945050
Reply 1
Ha.
Thats awful. How can it go the wrong way?
Reply 3
at least he's laughing about it
Bwuhahaha....Made me laugh
Reply 5
And they laugh when I say if you eat apple seed an apple tree will grow inside of you! :mad:
Reply 6
I like this story. How chuffed would you be, expecting to have cancer and turns out it's just a pea!
Reply 7
ROTF
And they laugh when I say if you eat apple seed an apple tree will grow inside of you! :mad:

this totally :colonhash:
Reply 8
When I first read it it read it as man grows pea plant inside lung deliberately for competition or something xD
Reply 9
loool that's ****** up
Reply 10
Could have bean worse, I suppose.
Preasure
Could have bean worse, I suppose.

Could've been a chili plant. Oh the burn...
Reply 12
Could be worse.

Could have been AIDS.
He seems peas that it is not cancer.
The title makes it sound that he is growing it deliberately or something. :p: But anyway, glad that it is a pea and nothing else! :yep:
Reply 15
Wouldn't it be kind of dark inside a lung?
TimBlanchard
Wouldn't it be kind of dark inside a lung?

haha thats a good point!

i'm also very unimpressed with the lack of a photograph of this pea plant

Latest

Trending

Trending