The Student Room Group

m3 m4 m5...?

my boyfriend would like to know what, after taking maths a level, m3 m4 and m5 count towards.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Further Maths A-Level?
Reply 2
Samw1se
Further Maths A-Level?

Yeah, further maths, but very few places do them. And those few are all private schools. It's for the people that don't want to do stats modules :confused:
Further Maths. What exam board does M5? I did CCEA and it's Maths (and Further Maths) modules consisted of C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, M2, M3, M4, S1, S2.

M3 and M4 were hell though. I hate mechanics :frown:
My sixth form college does M3.

About half the candidates doing Edexcel M5 are overseas candidates, who don't tend to do stats
Reply 5
KrisLewis
Yeah, further maths, but very few places do them. And those few are all private schools. It's for the people that don't want to do stats modules :confused:

Wrong.
KrisLewis

I go to a state school and we have the choice to do M1 - M4. But not M5 though, no teachers do it.

Ive done C1, C2, M1, M2, D1 and FP1 this year and Im doing C3, C4, FP2, FP3, M3 and S1 next year.
Reply 7
I thought they were motorways. :confused:
Well, you could just take them because you find the content interesting. :fyi:
Reply 9
Samw1se
Wrong.

Ok, VERY FEW of those that do it aren't private.
xCBRx
I thought they were motorways. :confused:

:rofl:

Touché!
Reply 11
cantstop-x
Further Maths. What exam board does M5? I did CCEA and it's Maths (and Further Maths) modules consisted of C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, M2, M3, M4, S1, S2.

M3 and M4 were hell though. I hate mechanics :frown:

Edexcel does M5. They used to do M6 too but that's been discontinued now.
Sk1lLz
Edexcel does M5. They used to do M6 too but that's been discontinued now.

M6?! agghh. That would be horrific...
Reply 13
Highest they went in my school was M2 :emo:
What it leads to is pride... And also giving the middle finger to the British education system that promotes underachievement and laziness... Be all you can be, walk into that M5 exam feeling like the dog's ********
They could count towards Further maths or an A Level in Further Maths (Additional) [basically further FURTHER maths].

I taught myself M4 and M5. They were fairly tricky, but not too bad.
Reply 16
You can do M1-5. M1&2 for Maths A Level. Then M3&4 for Further AS and M5 for Further A2. On my exam board anyway
meatball893
They could count towards Further maths or an A Level in Further Maths (Additional) [basically further FURTHER maths].

I thought M5 + M6 were for people who didnt want to do any other applied modules.

So first year:

C1 C2 M1 (Maths)

FP1 M2 M3 (F. Maths)

Second year:

C3 C4 M4 (Maths)

FP2 M5 M6 (F. Maths)
Reply 18
My school only offers M1 :angry:
It's decision for AS and Stats for A2 for Further Maths for us. I'm self teaching it for obvious reasons.
soutioirsim
I thought M5 + M6 were for people who didnt want to do any other applied modules.

So first year:

C1 C2 M1 (Maths)

FP1 M2 M3 (F. Maths)

Second year:

C3 C4 M4 (Maths)

FP2 M5 M6 (F. Maths)

I can't speak for any other board, but Edexcel only goes up to M5.

But anyway, I also did two stats modules and a decision modules, so it's not just for if you hate all other areas of applied maths.

Quick Reply

Latest