The Student Room Group

A and A* students... Share your revision tips

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by zeb123
Hey,
Sorry to bother you but I'm struggling to structure my essays in A2 Sociology. In General how do you structure an essay. For example just for then against or do I crtises throughout? Thanks! :smile:

sorry its a bit late reply but i've only just saw that.
for my intro i usually introduce the main theories and then present line of argument. make sure you use the language of the question for this as it gives you more marks.

i then try and have 3 arguments for and against. so one paragraph e.g. on religion would be functionalism is a consensus theory and talks about a, b and c however some would argue that religion today is not as significant etc.

then my second paragraph would be an opposing one. so, feminism is a conflict theory a,b,c however women now have various roles in church and religion e.g female priests.

and so on.

in conclusion sum up all your arguments and give a balanced opinion e.g. religion is changing not disappearing. make sure you do not include your own opinion.

also, the last sentence of each paragraph should be linked back to the question using the language of the question. so for paragraph one you would say that functionalism is a consensus theory concerned with the benefits religion has for society but the importance of religion in post modern society is arguable.

hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Vanny17
I worked very hard for my As level exams but came out with very bad grades. I read during every break/ lunch and sometimes 4 hours straight. I worked through EVERY past papers, made revision notes, cut out on social life and always read before every new chapter. My teachers and students said I had potential to get AAAB grades. How come I messed up? Please tell me what I did wrong. Share your revision tips as well! Please. My subjects are biology, chemistry, Religious Studies and sociology. Thanks.

I made my notes look really pretty, and used tons of flashcards. Instead of reading my notes, I would sing them and record my voice etc, and while I walked to college in the mornings I would listen to my recordings. Oh and I made tons of posters! :cool:
Reply 1982
Does anyone have any tips for AS History on the AQA board? I'm struggling to get high marks in our practise tests :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
any tips for politics
Reply 1984
Original post by sammyvine
any tips for politics

Im doing edexcel politics uk and eu political issues. The best thing so far has been writing out 15 mark questions as you get to practice your analysis and structure. Also knowing key facts eg new labour's legislation on youth crime. Essay plans for the big questions are also very useful
Original post by Ani97
Does anyone have any tips for AS History on the AQA board? I'm struggling to get high marks in our practise tests :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our teachers gave us quite low marks on our practise tests, but we ended up with higher marks in the actual text-I don't know if it was only our teachers or if they were generally crap.

What are you struggling with exactly? Memorising content and figures, or understanding the essay questions or just general essay style and structure?
Original post by TheCynicalChild
Our teachers gave us quite low marks on our practise tests, but we ended up with higher marks in the actual text-I don't know if it was only our teachers or if they were generally crap.

What are you struggling with exactly? Memorising content and figures, or understanding the essay questions or just general essay style and structure?

Im having trouble with general essay style and structure ? How can I improve that ? thanks
Original post by beinlondon
Im having trouble with general essay style and structure ? How can I improve that ? thanks

I followed the process of finding out the debate first. If you go on the AQA site and into teacher's resources you can find this document, which I found really helpful:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2040-W-TRB-OGGCT.PDF

For the 12 markers, I structured it as follows:

Introduction: Outline argument and list the factors you will discuss within your essay, merely mention them. You should already come to a judgement before writing the essay, so explicitly mention that in your introduction.

Factor 1

Factor 2

Factor 3

These factors should differ in opinion on the debate, hence the whole point of an argument. Try and link the factors together, for example, chronologically, or by the extent of impact they had. At the end of the paragraph, link back each factor to the question, did it support or oppose the argument? What does it show? It helps if you pick out a key word in the question, that you repeat in analysing the factors, so that you can maintain tight focus on the question. In terms of facts and statistics for evidence, don't overestimate them. I simply sprinkled in a few that I knew just to back up my arguments-I'd say to try and go for one fact/statistic for each factor.

Conclusion: Should really be a reflection on your essay, and should be essentially the same as your introduction, except in the conclusion you list why you came to that specific judgement.

For the 24 marker, the structure is pretty much the same, except with more factors.

Introduction: Same as the 12 marker.

Factor 1

Factor 2

Factor 3

Factor 4

Factor 5

Factor 6

There should really be a balanced debate in this question, so try and go for 3 factors that support the argument, and 3 factors that oppose it. I'd stick to the one fact/statistic for each factor but that's not necessary as long as your knowledge comes through fine.

Conclusion: Same as the 12 marker.

This is just the plan that I aimed for in my essays, I can't say that I fully achieved it in the exams (one of them was a shambles for me, but turned out to be a really high grade), but at least it's a guideline.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1988
My mocks start in 4 days I have 5as level mocks and not started any revision. I am really scared I need As. Any tips/advice/ motivation appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1989
Original post by Coz
I would really appreciate if someone who got As or A*s in their AQA Biology/Chemistry empa at A2 would give me some hints or tips and the ways to revise best in order to get the highest grades.

Thanks

I havent sat my as exam for biology yet. But my teacher taught me a method in getting high marks for biology.

First thing to do is to understand a topic. Doing this will obviously allow you to know the answer in the exam.

The second thing to do is, after you're sure you understand the topic inside out. Do past paper questions on that topic.
This will allow you to get used to and understand how questions are worded in the exam.
Reply 1990
What's the best way to revise for essay style questions? I'm more inclined towards Maths-ish subjects, but I need to revise for A2 Philosophy. Last year I just didn't revise and got a high C, but I don't think that will cut it this year (especially since I'm aiming to get an A)
My teacher recommended mind maps, but I don't think they'll work for me.
I'm doing a gap year and my course wants me to take up an AS so I'm doing edexcel economics by myself at home whilst also revising at home for retakes in chemistry, biology and sociology which are all a2, any tips from you exam masterminds

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1992
Original post by confusedbengali
I'm doing a gap year and my course wants me to take up an AS so I'm doing edexcel economics by myself at home whilst also revising at home for retakes in chemistry, biology and sociology which are all a2, any tips from you exam masterminds

Posted from TSR Mobile

For chemistry: Learn all of the mechanisms and reactants/reaction conditions as they're worth so many marks for just simple application and recall. Practice the maths questions until you get the right every time as they are usually worth a few marks for a simple "plug in the numbers" type question.

And biology, just memorise the info, not much more to it than that.
A levels is all memory. Practice memory techniques.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Revise, answer questions, write notes. Don't just sit there with a book in your hand
Really struggling with Biology in A2 as my exam technique is very poor even though the content seems simple. Any tips other than just plain past papers? I'm doing AQA
Reply 1996
Original post by TywinLannister
Really struggling with Biology in A2 as my exam technique is very poor even though the content seems simple. Any tips other than just plain past papers? I'm doing AQA

Examiner reports!

Try this method, I find it working very well.

1. Write notes about your topic. Make sure you understand the topic. Make sure you can answer all summary questions without making a mistake before moving onto step 2.

2. Find past paper questions on that topic. Do them and look over your answer using a mark scheme.

3. If you got any wrong, correct yourself. Make a note of it. And look at the examiner reports on that question
Original post by iWoof
Examiner reports!

Try this method, I find it working very well.

1. Write notes about your topic. Make sure you understand the topic. Make sure you can answer all summary questions without making a mistake before moving onto step 2.

2. Find past paper questions on that topic. Do them and look over your answer using a mark scheme.

3. If you got any wrong, correct yourself. Make a note of it. And look at the examiner reports on that question

Thanks a bunch! It's just really frustrating when I work hard but end up getting a much lower grade than I feel I am worth.
Reply 1998
Original post by TywinLannister
Thanks a bunch! It's just really frustrating when I work hard but end up getting a much lower grade than I feel I am worth.

Happens to us all :frown:
It happened to me because of poor exam technique.
Just hard work, kids.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending