The Student Room Group

TSR Anti - Racism Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
ArthurOliver
From the latest newslinks I'd say that the Football thing has most relevance for us in the UK, and as a fan of Oxford Utd and of Leeds Utd I have some awareness of the way in which the localised loyalties have become 'racial' loyalties in some clubs.

Yet Football seems to be focusing on this issue even as the sport is, statistically at least, an incredibly well integrated area of life. The England team, certainly, don't resemble the racial make-up of Britain as things are normally judged--Black vs White--in fact only the 'Asians' and 'Whites' are under-represented. If the team needs to represent the country as other major public organisations do, we should have fewer Blacks and more Asians and Whites. If this team doesn't, why should any other team or organisation or business?

I definately agree to us being "more" active in this forum; half of the members have escaped :eek: lol I wonder where they are; might have to go for a serious hunt soon..
anyways, Racism in football is quite critical in this country i think; especially among the "hardcore" football fanatics.. I once spoke to some guy on a parallel course to mine at uni; I viewed his comment as quite racist; he said, he didnt approve of "black" people playing in an english team.. Even though I viewed this as a racist comment; it does have some minor points to it I think. I see black people or rather people of other races born here as "British" and of course white people as "English"; I mean that topic is open for debate if anyone disagrees with my "not very well" explained views lol
Reply 181
i live in a country where over 80% of the people are black and still snide comments are made.

last week,at school,i was sitting next to a french girl.one of my 'friends' walked up and pointed at her and said 'Fair',then pointed at me and said 'dark'

so immature!:mad:
Reply 182
yo-less
i live in a country where over 80% of the people are black and still snide comments are made.

last week,at school,i was sitting next to a french girl.one of my 'friends' walked up and pointed at her and said 'Fair',then pointed at me and said 'dark'

No way!!! How rude!! :mad:
i would have been like; "I will make you darker now with bruises :boxing: :stickyman:" but on a more serious note, thats just unacceptable :frown:. what did you do?
yo-less

What country do you live in? Does it have a history of racial clashes?
ArthurOliver
You guys show us up! How can you speak such good English when usually we can't speak good English ourselves?

:biggrin: American television programmes? "Friends"! :biggrin: Thank you. :redface:

yo-less

so immature! :mad:

Totally. :frown: I don't even see how that is supposed to be funny. :confused:

If 80% of the people are black you would expect them to make racist comments and not the minority. Maybe they feel like they should get defencive? :confused:

I must say I have never witnessed a racist approach here such as the one mentioned above. Black people and white people are treated equally, or at least as far as I've noticed. The problem here is that they start harassing people that don't speak the language, e.g. Turkish immigrants who can't speak Dutch very well.
Reply 185
hugatree
:biggrin: American television programmes? "Friends"! :biggrin: Thank you. :redface:

Totally. :frown: I don't even see how that is supposed to be funny. :confused:

If 80% of the people are black you would expect them to make racist comments and not the minority. Maybe they feel like they should get defencive? :confused:

I must say I have never witnessed a racist approach here such as the one mentioned above. Black people and white people are treated equally, or at least as far as I've noticed. The problem here is that they start harassing people that don't speak the language, e.g. Turkish immigrants who can't speak Dutch very well.

ah must be a very nice place to be :smile: since there is not much racism; and it should be the way forward anyways!! Racism should have been lost in the "dark" ages....; only had 2 direct racist attacks cos i guess I just have quite an intimidating apperance sometimes and I can usually spot a "potential" racist by the way they act towards me or look at me so i get into the defence and ready llol
dimexi
ah must be a very nice place to be :smile: since there is not much racism; and it should be the way forward anyways!! Racism should have been lost in the "dark" ages....; only had 2 direct racist attacks cos i guess I just have quite an intimidating apperance sometimes and I can usually spot a "potential" racist by the way they act towards me or look at me so i get into the defence and ready llol

Indeed it is. :smile: And tbh I don't think there was a lot of racism in the dark ages 'cos everyone sorta 'stuck to their kind'. (What a horrible thing to say. :redface:)
How do you know they're gonna get racist on your a$$? Do you look Asian/African or sth? :smile:
Reply 187
hugatree
Indeed it is. :smile: And tbh I don't think there was a lot of racism in the dark ages 'cos everyone sorta 'stuck to their kind'. (What a horrible thing to say. :redface:)
How do you know they're gonna get racist on your a$$? Do you look Asian/African or sth? :smile:

Well i dont know; but some people give this "look"; the "look" says it all I guess; well Im black African; Nigerian ethnic but british by birth.. so yeah I look African lol..
By the dark ages I was kind of referring to america really about 60 - 70 years ago i guess just after the slave trade; the treatment of african americans was very oppresive I thought; i.e. they didnt let them do certain things and only let them in certain toilets and only let them into restaurants on certain days and ridiculous things like that!! but I guess it much have been the same here!!..
dimexi
I once spoke to some guy on a parallel course to mine at uni; I viewed his comment as quite racist; he said, he didnt approve of "black" people playing in an english team.. Even though I viewed this as a racist comment; it does have some minor points to it I think. I see black people or rather people of other races born here as "British" and of course white people as "English"; I mean that topic is open for debate if anyone disagrees with my "not very well" explained views lol
I guess it's a compromising overhang form the days when England and Scotland played the first 'internationals', other international teams are defined by their statehood. From a strictly political/legal viewpoint we're all British but I think it's unlikely we'll have a united British football team anytime soon.

lol, did you ask your pal about Michael Owen being Welsh or Owen Hargreaves being Welsh/Canadian? I suspect he'd be willing to compromise for White non-English.
Reply 189
ArthurOliver

lol, did you ask your pal about Michael Owen being Welsh or Owen Hargreaves being Welsh/Canadian? I suspect he'd be willing to compromise for White non-English.
thats such an excellent point; but I could sense that he was referring to them being black as opposed to white; I mean, the team he supports (Man - U) have English players but they are not all English!! that doesnt seem to bother him though. What actually brought the whole conversation to light was the fact that im an Arsenal supporter and he was trying to point out that we dont have any "English" Players and im like, "well we have players who currently play for England" and he replied saying well they are not really considered as english!! and I could see where he was going; Just the fact that Ashley Cole and Sole Campbell are black players must have bothered him and he effectively didnt see them as part of the English team
Reply 190
thebucketwoman
What country do you live in? Does it have a history of racial clashes?

Sri Lanka actually
ArthurOliver
I was remiss in not mentioning the friend who helped to save me from a bashing in my one physical encounter with racists. Ishfaq Hussain stood between me and his racist neighbours' hatred and I'm honestly not sure I would have had the courage to do the same if the roles were reversed when I was 13. Thankfully my story didn't go so far as this one...I suppose, again, the lesson is how shallow are the ties that bind us. The White guy admits he threw the 'nigger' insult and the Black 'friends' pretend they saw nothing and don't know the attackers...The Black parents complain that the police aren't 'sensitive' enough to interrogate their communities and the cops are slow to come to a 'Black' club.

Ishfaq Hussain is a rare example.

edit:sorry, the link, http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/100905/met_19986663.shtml

That's the lesson you get from it! I suppose it's interesting how differently people perceive things. And maybe the police weren't being sensitive enough, if there's distrust of the police force in the community surely the most effective way to go about their business is to be sensitive? Race doesn't even need to come into that.

Of course I've never had a real physical encounter with racism, unless you count one time when I was 8 and I was harassed by an older boy, and even in that case, I beat him up.
--------------
yo-less

Awww... I still remember the first time someone made a racist comment to me, I was about four and it was another girl in my class, how I cried.

Maybe I should start bringing up some happy memories here?
I almost always agree with you Ayaan but you have a major blind spot when it comes to recognising that people are instinctively tribal and tend toward favouring their group and discriminating against others. It's one of my 'givens' and it seems to be one of your denials. If I was wrong about people this "Anti-Racist Society" wouldn't exist.
Of course I've never had a real physical encounter with racism, unless you count one time when I was 8 and I was harassed by an older boy, and even in that case, I beat him up.
:biggrin: I like you!
Reply 193
ayaan

You Go Girl hehe!!
Light relief. :smile:
The Old Negro Space Program is the name of a short mockumentary film, done in the style of a Ken Burns documentary, that lampoons the strict racial segregation in the first half of the 20th century in the United States by postulating a separate space program, run by and for blacks who had been excluded from "White NASA": "in 1957, if you were black, and you were an astronaut... you were out of work."

The film was produced and directed by Andy Bobrow (Hype, Malcolm in the Middle) for broad release on the internet. While the filmmakers' established intentions were satirical, the film has caused mixed reactions amongst bloggers and minority rights activist groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Negro_Space_Program
I think it's hilarious! You can watch the movie free online.

http://www.negrospaceprogram.com/
ArthurOliver
I almost always agree with you Ayaan but you have a major blind spot when it comes to recognising that people are instinctively tribal and tend toward favouring their group and discriminating against others. It's one of my 'givens' and it seems to be one of your denials. If I was wrong about people this "Anti-Racist Society" wouldn't exist.

No, I just think that people can work against that sort of thing. If I were wrong, we wouldn't have this society, would we? :p:

-------------

ArthurOliver
:biggrin: I like you!

dimexi
You Go Girl hehe!!

They all come round eventually...

Seriously, don't encourage me! I now know that violence is not the answer.
Hey Everyone,
Sorry I havent been on for a long time, I have been really busy. Anyway, everyone fill me in on what you've been talking about.
Reply 197
ayaan
No, I just think that people can work against that sort of thing. If I were wrong, we wouldn't have this society, would we? :p:

-------------

They all come round eventually...

Seriously, don't encourage me! I now know that violence is not the answer.

yeah agreed; Violence is not the answer :p: so maybe i will tell you off now!! lol
:motz:
--------------
Serina M
Hey Everyone,
Sorry I havent been on for a long time, I have been really busy. Anyway, everyone fill me in on what you've been talking about.

tis ok :smile: welcome back anyways; well we have mostly been talking about the "racial" discriminations most of us have experienced (if any) and also how other people follow racism "blindly" because their friends are rascists; and ArthurOliver has posted quite a few links about some incidents.. and thats mainly it; but i suggest you read it; we have had some mildy hilarious conversations hehe
Could I join. Yeah, I know, a bit late.
I understand this is an anti racism post/society but can we not forget that people irrespective of disability/race e.t.c are bullided at school? Are mocked at work? Black people are not immune.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending