The Student Room Group

TSR Anti - Racism Society

Scroll to see replies

Later Sheila:smile:
Reply 1982
Shylock
what stuff CV?? and dimexi will neg rep you...(he's got up to 60-odd something rep points)

:evil: Damn right :p: *seeks spammers* :mad:.... :p:

Well; you are all sorting out jasmine's problems so thats allowed :biggrin:
me back :smile:
hi everyone! :hello:
Fear not for I have returned! :ridinghor
pratikv
Fear not for I have returned! :ridinghor
:adore:
hugatree
:adore:

Glad to know someone appreciates me. :wink: :smile:
Reply 1988
I appreciate you Pat :p:
Reply 1989
estupendo..

talking about racism, can any recommend a book on racism or some sort of discrimination? i'll be interested to read any :smile:.. thanx
Reply 1990
Shylock
chinese girls are pretty silly!

excuse me??!! im chinese! :eek: eeeeek
Reply 1991
lp999
estupendo..

talking about racism, can any recommend a book on racism or some sort of discrimination? i'll be interested to read any :smile:.. thanx

I haven't heard of any :frown:; but I'll let you know if I hear anything :wink:; there will probably be books on oppression and stuff (like slavery); I'm not sure if that will quite cut it for you though
Reply 1992
lp999

:eek: I didn't realise shylock said that :hmpf:....

:hugs:
Uncle Tom's Cabin? :smile:
hugatree
Uncle Tom's Cabin? :smile:

by Harriet Beecher Stowe (or something like that?), who Abraham Lincoln once said that she was the 'little lady who casued this war we're having', ie. the American Civil War. It's not a bad read actually - I read it a few years back.
Yes her. :wink: Didn't know that. Why would she have caused a war? I haven't read it myself, my granparents have an LP of the story in German which I heard years ago.
hugatree
Yes her. :wink: Didn't know that. Why would she have caused a war? I haven't read it myself, my granparents have an LP of the story in German which I heard years ago.

Read about the build up the American Civil War and read the book itself and you'll find out, but in the most basic of terms the ACW was between 'the North' of the country and 'the South' - the North was richer and more industrious, whilst the South was somewhat less developed and had loads os slave plantations. Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote the book Uncle Tom's Cabin desribing the ill treatment of slaves in the South (although a lot of it was quite exaggerated and the whole thing made up as Stowe hadn't actually visited the South!). Anyhows, the book became a bestseller in the country - anyone who was anyone had read/had been read it (the South were a little less literate at the time if I recall correctly due to worse schools). Anyhows, a lot of the North were horriified by what they thought slaves were treated like in the South and the South were furious at the ill-representation of hoq they treated slaves. Don't get me wrong - the slaves were treated badly, but it had been quite widely acknowledged that Stowe had exaggerated all of it, and that the kind of cruelty portrayed in the book applied to an absolutely tiny minority of Southern slaves. Anyhows, this was one of the issues that led to the polarisation of opinions on the two sides and led the the South's secession from the 'Union' (ie. the Northern States). Anyhows, it can be argued that although the war wasn't initially fought over the issue of slavery (Lincoln said that he merely wanted to get the South to rejoin the Union as secession was illegal or so he believed), but later in the war, Lincoln used Emancipation Proclamation to galvanise the war effort into a somewhat moralistic crusade against slavery, and hence that is (briefly) why Lincoln believed that Stowe's novel was a short term 'trigger' that ignited the tensions (which had been growing for decades) and led to the start of the American Civil War.

Anyhows, it's a really fascinating period to study, and the novel is worth a read. I'd encourage you to read up about it, as some of the issues that were raised in that era were (are perhaps some of them in a more limited sense) are quite relevant. Hope that this is a reasonable explanation. :smile:
Very impressive Pratikv. :smile: Now I finally know what the Civil War was all about! I'll add you to my rep list for that.
I'll definitely read the book sometime. :smile: Meant to do so anyway, but I have other novels in English and mainly in German to read for the next term though so it'll have to wait until the summer.
lp999

no i meant pretty! silly :p: .....if that sounds still wierd i meant you're silly (in a joking way) for not thinking that chinese girls aren't pretty. i didn't mean that you're silly. hope that's cleared it up :hugs:
hugatree
Very impressive Pratikv. :smile: Now I finally know what the Civil War was all about! I'll add you to my rep list for that.
I'll definitely read the book sometime. :smile: Meant to do so anyway, but I have other novels in English and mainly in German to read for the next term though so it'll have to wait until the summer.

I only gave you a very very brief history - if you wanted me to tell you about what caused the American Civil War, I could probably knock off a hundred pages off of the top of my head - it's one of my specialties, although I might have had to check a date or three if you really wanted that. :wink: :p:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending