The Student Room Group

TSR Anti - Racism Society

Scroll to see replies

hey hugatree
shylock30012001
hey hugatree

Hey girl! How was your day?

I was wondering if any of you have heard of Father Damian. I was walking around Leuven today, passed a Church (I think it wasn't a catholic one which was weird to me) that had an open door so I went in, and there it was, in the basement: Father Damian's crypt. :smile:

Father Damian was a Flemish missionary (we call him pater Damiaan) who went to an island called Molokai (sp?) to treat people that suffered from leprosy. The ill people were transported to that island to die peacefully and to not infect other people in their homeland.
Father Damian died of leprosy himself in 1889 and recently won the title of 'Belgian of the Year'.

Now this is not really a racist matter but it has to do sth with exclusing people that are different so I thought I'd post it here. :smile:
no it's just that leoprosy is really contagious so they have leprosy colonies so that other people don't catch it.my day was thanks hugatree you?

--------------

never heard of him though and it's cool what he did,not many people do it because they know they most definately will catch the disease.although if you make fun of someone with a disease or are mean to them or treat them differently in a way that is unneccessary that would be termed discrimination like discrimination against women and stuff.
shylock30012001
no it's just that leoprosy is really contagious so they have leprosy colonies so that other people don't catch it.my day was thanks hugatree you?

--------------

never heard of him though and it's cool what he did,not many people do it because they know they most definately will catch the disease.although if you make fun of someone with a disease or are mean to them or treat them differently in a way that is unneccessary that would be termed discrimination like discrimination against women and stuff.

Yes I know. :smile: I just felt like posting it somewhere to let the world know (:biggrin:)and thought the best place was here.

And I agree that would be discrimination. It's a horrible thing to laugh at ill/disabled people. Some people don't seem to realize they could end up just the same the next day.

And I'm fine thank you. :wink: Glad Monday's over.
Had to queue at the PO for 20 minutes to send off my internat. Christmas cards. :p:
Reply 1384
heylo all :smile:

i think i got missed off for wanting to join the society :frown:
awww :hugs: hugatree..
xemilyx just remind dimexi when he's on or send him a pm.he always forgets to write some people's names sometimes.he's forgetful like that lol
xemilyx
heylo all :smile:

i think i got missed off for wanting to join the society :frown:

Aww, you can still join. :wink: He'll add you soon.

--------------

shylock30012001
xemilyx just remind dimexi when he's on or send him a pm.he always forgets to write some people's names sometimes.he's forgetful like that lol

Was that for queueing lol thank you! :hugs:
yeh for queing.np :hugs:
hugatree
Welcome, welcome. :wink:

Have you ever been the victim of racism or witnessed any?

No, being white, middle-class and British kind of exempts me from most racists targets. I have witnessed racism (as well as xenophobic nationalism and other forms of irrational prejudice and superstitious paranoia: homophobia, discrimination against non-believers, random attacks on intellectuals and pointless violence) and it's both ridiculously unintelligent and shocking.
no it doesn't.white people are targets of racists as well.
Shylock
no it doesn't.white people are targets of racists as well.

Indeed. I have not suffered any such racism though. I have the utmost sympathy for those who have, and enormous contempt for the perpetrators
Heh. Cosmic_debris and Aristogeiton should read this ^^. :rolleyes: They're like, convinced of the fact that white racism happens all over the place, all the time.
they'd have butchered you for saying that white racism doens't exist lol hey again hugatree :smile: come into the under 1000 post in chat.you can come as well tommy
Shylock
they'd have butchered you for saying that white racism doens't exist lol hey again hugatree :smile: come into the under 1000 post in chat.you can come as well tommy

But I have over 1000 posts. :biggrin: Nah I would but we're going for a McFlurry now so I'll see you guys later! :wink: Byeeee!
Reply 1394
you can come in if your over 1000 its fine :biggrin:
Reply 1395
hugatree
Heh. Cosmic_debris and Aristogeiton should read this ^^. :rolleyes: They're like, convinced of the fact that white racism happens all over the place, all the time.
Yeah it does happen everywhere; but they think it happens more than racist against forgeiners(sp??), and they seem to think we ignore racism against whites which IMO is just ridiculous 'cos we dont ignore it

--------------

Shylock
xemilyx just remind dimexi when he's on or send him a pm.he always forgets to write some people's names sometimes. he's forgetful like that lol
:hmmmm2: Dimexi?!?! who is Dimexi?!?!:s:

:p:
dimexi
Yeah it does happen everywhere; but they think it happens more than racist against forgeiners(sp??), and they seem to think we ignore racism against whites which IMO is just ridiculous 'cos we dont ignore it

Yeah that too. :smile: (foreigners, btw) It's like they don't understand this thread covers ALL forms of racism.
Reply 1397
hugatree
Yeah that too. :smile: (foreigners, btw) It's like they don't understand this thread covers ALL forms of racism.
ignoring the purpose of the thread they are!!!! :mad:
Heh yes. :wink: Shh calm down. Sth tells me they're just promoting their political party.
Reply 1399
hugatree
Heh yes. :wink: Shh calm down. Sth tells me they're just promoting their political party.
yep, they assume the world revolves around the BNP :hmpf: but the BNP will NOT win any elections!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending