The Student Room Group

more M2 moments!

Hi
Could someone please check my answers. Me and my mate keep on getting different answers and she's confident that she's right.

1) A uniform rod AB of mass 6kg has its end A on a rough horizontal ground and rests at 30 degress to the horizontal against a smooth peg at C, where AC is 3/4AB. If the rod is on the point of slipping in the vertical plane containing the rod calculate µ, the coefficent of friction between the rod and the ground.

I got µ=0.87

2) A ladder of length 8m and mass m kg rests with one end on rough horizontal ground (µ=0.8) and the other on a smooth vertical wall. A man of mass 4 m kg stands 1m from the top pf the ladder. The ladder is on the point of slipping. Find the angle that the ladder is inclined to the vertical.

I got θ=45°

anyone...
Reply 2
darth_vader05
Hi
:smile:

Here is my initial diagram.... I'm not sure I can be much help. Can you post your TWO answers.... I then might be able to say which I think is correct.

Here is an improved diagram...pic 3

Can you comment on my pic 3. Am I missing any forces ... have I got too many....
steve2005
My post an answer in a little while....

steve2005
Here is my initial diagram.... I'm not sure I can be much help. Can you post your TWO answers.... I then might be able to say which I think is correct.

Here is an improved diagram...pic 3

Can you comment on my pic 3. Am I missing any forces ... have I got too many....
I'll post them later, but you should have put your answers in a new post, if you hadn't pm'd me I wouldn't have known:smile:

Latest