The Student Room Group

An education system based upon how much mummy and daddy earn NOT academic ability?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
.Ali.
Health and Social care (no offence to anyone taking these!) and making unis purely academic once more.

Yes, because we really don't need social workers...
And if you're saying someone's degree is worthless, I think they're going to be offended even if you say 'no offence'!
Reply 121
Planar
Ah, your poor trust fund. ******.

Bit rude. Why does having a trust fund make me a ******? :rolleyes: I bet your one of these uncultured oiks who bangs on about how unequal the world is. Idiot.
Reply 122
Jacinta
Yes, because we really don't need social workers...
And if you're saying someone's degree is worthless, I think they're going to be offended even if you say 'no offence'!

You don't need a damn degree for it though! Or if you want one, do an academic subject like English and then use it to secure a decent job position.

And maybe so, but I was just trying to imply that I wasn't having a go at anyone and that it was just my opinion. :smile:
Reply 123
Mann18
The point is, YOU'RE not paying it back.
You've essentially personally recieved a free education.

I would say if you wanted to pay it off immediately, go ahead, but if I were you, I'd think about using it to fund whatever you want to do after uni. That's beside the point though.

If the government were to impose that restriction, it would completely level the playing field. There could be no "the rich get richer" debate. You'd have done everything by yourself.

Why should the playing field be level? Why shouldn't I be able to use what advantages I have? I really fail to see why it's an issue.

Well I haven't fully decided, I might use it for a deposit on a house, but yeah beside the point. :p:

Also, I doubt it would actually level the playing field. Think about it, if I couldn't use it to pay off my loan, I'd use part of it to buy myself the present I promised myself when I graduate, instead of using my first pay packet. I'd use it to put money ddown on a house. Things poorer people wouldn't be able to do. So I'd still be at an 'advantage'...
Read my thread on "means tested tuition fees"
Reply 125
jaydoh
Read my thread on "means tested tuition fees"

You haven't replied to me on that thread! :mad: :p:
Reply 126
.Ali.
Why should the playing field be level? Why shouldn't I be able to use what advantages I have? I really fail to see why it's an issue.

Well I haven't fully decided, I might use it for a deposit on a house, but yeah beside the point. :p:

Also, I doubt it would actually level the playing field. Think about it, if I couldn't use it to pay off my loan, I'd use part of it to buy myself the present I promised myself when I graduate, instead of using my first pay packet. I'd use it to put money ddown on a house. Things poorer people wouldn't be able to do. So I'd still be at an 'advantage'...

That's not the point.

The point is that you'd be paying far less than someone else for the same education. Which is rather unfair.

And ah right, well, sounds like a plan :p:
Reply 127
RollerBall
So what does any of that have to do with the standard of the school? Not all bad schools are in low income areas and not all good schools are in high income areas.

Obviously.
But some people choose to send their children to schools far away that are better than their local comp. I would also argue that there is a correlation between the standard of the school and the wealth of the area.
Reply 128
Butane
Absolutely, HOWEVER the fact that it's not school resources that ultimately determine your grade means that the poor school students CAN match the private school students, they just need to work harder for it (and the universities aren't stupid, they know that getting AAA from Larkhall Academy requires more independent work than would be required at say Eton).

I wouldn't say that resources are the be all and end all, but they do have an effect.
Reply 129
Mann18
That's not the point.

The point is that you'd be paying far less than someone else for the same education. Which is rather unfair.

And ah right, well, sounds like a plan :p:

But everyone has advantages and people use them differently? I might be slightly financially advantaged, for example, someone might be athletically advantaged, should we ban them from sport because it's not fair on everyone else?

And I do hope so! :p:
Reply 130
.Ali.
But everyone has advantages and people use them differently? I might be slightly financially advantaged, for example, someone might be athletically advantaged, should we ban them from sport because it's not fair on everyone else?

And I do hope so! :p:

Lmao, that is not the same thing!

Atheltic and academic advantages are more ABILITIES.
It's not an ability to be rich, at least not if it's your family who are rich.
Reply 131
Mann18
Lmao, that is not the same thing!

Atheltic and academic advantages are more ABILITIES.
It's not an ability to be rich, at least not if it's your family who are rich.

It is the same, they're advantages! There's all different sorts, be it financial advantage, sport talent, academic talent, atistic talent, natural good looks, etc.

We're "equal" in as much as rights (until a crime is committed at least), but we're all unequally advantaged, and unique.
Reply 132
.Ali.
It is the same, they're advantages! There's all different sorts, be it financial advantage, sport talent, academic talent, atistic talent, natural good looks, etc.

We're "equal" in as much as rights (until a crime is committed at least), but we're all unequally advantaged, and unique.

No it's really not.

See how you said "talent" for some?
They're not "advantages."
Reply 133
Mann18
No it's really not.

See how you said "talent" for some?
They're not "advantages."

Yes they are! It's not peoples fault some are born with talents and some aren't. Similarly to some people are born to wealthy families and some aren't. It's just how it is.
.Ali.
You don't need a damn degree for it though! Or if you want one, do an academic subject like English and then use it to secure a decent job position.

Yes you do need a degree for it, and what would be the point in studying English if you want to be a social worker and there are social work degrees? Of what relevance is an English degree to social work?
Reply 135
.Ali.
Yes they are! It's not peoples fault some are born with talents and some aren't. Similarly to some people are born to wealthy families and some aren't. It's just how it is.

I can't believe you believe that.
Reply 136
Smack
Yes you do need a degree for it, and what would be the point in studying English if you want to be a social worker and there are social work degrees? Of what relevance is an English degree to social work?

It's a degree that proves you're academic ability (somewhat at least), and you need communication skills for social work. You don't need a health and social degree to be a social worker.
Reply 137
Mann18
I can't believe you believe that.

I honestly don't see how they're so different.
.Ali.
It's a degree that proves you're academic ability (somewhat at least),

But an English degree has absolutely nothing to do with social work.

and you need communication skills for social work.

And the communication skills required for social work are much more effectively taught in a social work degree.

You don't need a health and social degree to be a social worker.

In Scotland you do.

"To become a social worker you will need an honours or postgraduate degree in social work"

http://www.sssc.uk.com/sssc/social-service-careers/training-as-a-social-worker.html

My mum had to do her postgrad in social work after her undergraduate psychology degree to become a social worker. And I have good reason to believe it's the same in England and Wales.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 139
Smack
But an English degree has absolutely nothing to do with social work.

And the communication skills required for social work are much more effectively taught in a social work degree.

In Scotland you do.

"To become a social worker you will need an honours or postgraduate degree in social work"

http://www.sssc.uk.com/sssc/social-service-careers/training-as-a-social-worker.html

My mum had to do her postgrad in social work after her undergraduate psychology degree to become a social worker. And I have good reason to believe it's the same in England and Wales.

Not the same as a degree in health and social care, which I thought you were talking about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending