The Student Room Group

Re-applying 2011 Queries...PLEASE HELP!

Hi guys, I didn't get in to Uni this year missing my entry by one UMS mark so I have to re-apply this year and I'm doing resits....anyway enough of the life story. I'm very confused about filling in parts of my UCAS....

1) Resits- Im doing some resits in January and am NOT attending school and have been placed as an external student at my now former sixth form just for re-sits, so when putting down centres do I put down attending the school from 2008-2011 (entering resits with A levels achieved) or do I put down 2008-2010 ( A levels acheived) and then 2011 January till January just for the retakes.

2) Regarding AS levels, do I enter just the AS level dropped or do I have to enter the all my AS levels even though I have carried them on to A level and basically entered my AS level grades via entering my module grades under A levels???

ARGHHH so confused.

My sixth form said they can't (don't want) to help me or any other now external students which I would like to thank them for at this moment of time...But any help from you guys would be very very APPRECIATED!
Reply 1
Knindza
1) Resits- Im doing some resits in January and am NOT attending school and have been placed as an external student at my now former sixth form just for re-sits, so when putting down centres do I put down attending the school from 2008-2011 (entering resits with A levels achieved) or do I put down 2008-2010 ( A levels acheived) and then 2011 January till January just for the retakes.

From the reapplication thread:
If you are resitting A2 modules you enter the actual grade you've already got for the A level as a whole as an achieved qualification, and your resit plans as a pending qualification. (Here is an example picture. - Muffinz) If you are finding the system won't accept the date of your resits, it will be because the last education establishment you have entered has an 'end date' which is before your intended resit date. If you are attending a different school/college to resit your A levels, then you need to enter this establishment with the appropriate dates and your problem will be solved.

Otherwise, your options are:

* enter the school/college again, this time marking your attendance as 'part-time' with a start date of 2010 and an 'end date' of 2011 - appropriate if you are attending classes there, or if you won't be attending classes but will be taking the exams using them as the examination centre
* if you are entering yourself as a private candidate, add another entry to the Education list, this time describing it as 'self-teaching' or something along those lines, and add the examination centre details to the resit information.

Knindza
2) Regarding AS levels, do I enter just the AS level dropped or do I have to enter the all my AS levels even though I have carried them on to A level and basically entered my AS level grades via entering my module grades under A levels???

Only enter the one you dropped. You can enter the AS module grades under the A2 if you want to.

Hope I helped! :smile:
Reply 2
Ahh thanks a lot man, this clears up a lot providing it is correct, as I have had 2 people provide me with totally different accounts of how they entered information.
One had jsut changed their school attendence from 08-011 to fit in his re-sits, even though he is in the same situation as me and is using the school just for retakes.
While the other did what you just provided me regarding schools, but she entered all her AS results, not just the dropped one....

I dont know how important it is to enter information regarding resits correctly, but one of them has done something wrong...and I really dont want to put my application in jeapordy over a stupid mistake.

The only thing I am now confused about is what to do with dates concerning my school start and end date. To put a Sep 10- Jan/Jun 11 finish....or a Jan 11 start, Jan 11 finish, which is what the girl I have stated above did :s-smilie: ...
Reply 3
Knindza
I dont know how important it is to enter information regarding resits correctly, but one of them has done something wrong...and I really dont want to put my application in jeapordy over a stupid mistake.

I guess if your personal statement mentions that you're gap-yearing then the admissions tutors will know that you're not in school full time. An obvious way is to put your attendance to part time, and put Sept 10 - Jun 11 (like this) If you really think it matters you could ring UCAS, but the format above makes it clear what you're doing.
Reply 4
Yeh I'm in the same position as you dude, don't really know how to put it down
Reply 5
Is all the above correct?
Reply 6
Original post by Knindza
Ahh thanks a lot man, this clears up a lot providing it is correct, as I have had 2 people provide me with totally different accounts of how they entered information.
One had jsut changed their school attendence from 08-011 to fit in his re-sits, even though he is in the same situation as me and is using the school just for retakes.
While the other did what you just provided me regarding schools, but she entered all her AS results, not just the dropped one....

The only thing I am now confused about is what to do with dates concerning my school start and end date. To put a Sep 10- Jan/Jun 11 finish....or a Jan 11 start, Jan 11 finish, which is what the girl I have stated above did :s-smilie: ...
You need to enter all your ASs regardless of whether you also took the A levels in the same subjects as ASs are qualifications in their own right. So your second informant had done it correctly. The dates of attendance don't matter much as long as they allow you to enter your resit dates correctly.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Minerva
You need to enter all your ASs regardless of whether you also took the A levels in the same subjects as ASs are qualifications in their own right. So your second informant had done it correctly. The dates of attendance don't matter much as long as they allow you to enter your resit dates correctly.

Ah, so all the AS grades need to be in, regardless of whether it was carried onto A2 or not? Also, should the start month be september and end date in june?
Reply 8
Original post by itsmyname
Ah, so all the AS grades need to be in, regardless of whether it was carried onto A2 or not? Also, should the start month be september and end date in june?
Yes.

For the school? Makes sense to match it up to a standard academic year, unless you are only resitting in January. The important bit is that the end date for the school must allow you to enter the resit date.
Reply 9
Original post by Minerva
Yes.

For the school? Makes sense to match it up to a standard academic year, unless you are only resitting in January. The important bit is that the end date for the school must allow you to enter the resit date.

Cool

I'm also in a similar situation as the OP, I've completed my A2's, but I will be resitting a few modules from each subject at the same college. I'm not enrolled there any more for lessons but I will be doing my exams there. My tutor will also be doing my reference. Should I list the same college again, but this time as 2010-2011 and Part time?
Reply 10
Original post by itsmyname
Cool

I'm also in a similar situation as the OP, I've completed my A2's, but I will be resitting a few modules from each subject at the same college. I'm not enrolled there any more for lessons but I will be doing my exams there. My tutor will also be doing my reference. Should I list the same college again, but this time as 2010-2011 and Part time?
Yes.
Reply 11
Original post by Minerva

Oh damn, I think I'm going to phone up UCAS JUST to be 100% sure, as the person posting above seems quite adamant that you only need to enter the AS that you dropped :/ Confusing stuff.

ps. If you do indeed need to enter AS level grades, what if you ended up retaking one of your AS modules during A level, and improved the grade ? Sorry on my lack of re-applying knowledge, but my school isn't offering to help for anything...¬_¬

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending