The Student Room Group

The British state education system is appalling

My writing skills have been defined as 'proof of God's existence', and so I just want to finally use this talent to entertain people. I think that it's tragic that in modern schools, children are forced to read tripe like Austen and Dickens, when so many fabulously talented budding new writers like myself are emerging and largely ignored by a system designed to stifle creativity. Here is my story anyway. If you don't like it, then perhaps The Hungry Caterpillar is more your style?

A university student was travelling home from lectures. As she entered one particularly long, dark stretch of woodland, a car that had been following her suddenly raced up close, and the driver flashed his lights. She glanced up nervously in the mirror and accelerated in order to pull away. The car kept pace and again flashed his lights. Becoming terrified, she pushed her little car as fast as it could go. Again, the car behind her kept up and flashed his lights at her.

Within moments, the student saw flashing blue lights from an approaching police car. Relieved, she pulled over to the shoulder and so did the car behind her. She watched as the police car pulled up behind them both, the officer quickly exited his car, and then raced to her car. The officer opened her door, yanked her out and pulled her, stumbling, to the front of her car. Flustered, she started to ask the officer what she'd done wrong. Before answering, he ran back to the car, opened the back door and shouted, "Get out of the car slowly with your hands in the air." As the college student watched in amazement, a large man holding a knife got out of the back seat of her car. As he was being handcuffed, the man from the other car told the university student that he was flashing his lights every time the man would rise up from the back seat to stab her.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You should be thankful that you're lucky enough to have an education.
Very nice try Tarquin. Red sticker for you. Now when you grow up try to write three paragraphs.
Reply 3
Original post by Xaob
My writing skills have been defined as 'proof of God's existence', and so I just want to finally use this talent to entertain people. I think that it's tragic that in modern schools, children are forced to read tripe like Austen and Dickens, when so many fabulously talented budding new writers like myself are emerging and largely ignored by a system designed to stifle creativity. Here is my story anyway. If you don't like it, then perhaps The Hungry Caterpillar is more your style?

Firstly I think that Dickens and Austen have rather stood the test of time. Secondly, I know nothing about this girl except she is a student. What does she look like? where is the back-story? Give me some context please.
I swear I've heard that before...
Okay so education isn't perfect, but are you actually bitter because students don't study pieces of writing as modern as yours?
Simpsons :biggrin:

the one otto tells Lisa

almost identical :P
Reply 7
That was utter ****.

5/10 for the trolling.

1/10 for the story.
Original post by Xaob

I don't know what level I'm comparing this against.

If you're a GCSE student, then I'd imagine it's A possibly A*. Though try to use a wider range of vocabulary.

If you're an A level student, then this is poor. There isn't a wide range of vocabulary. I'm no expert but I did get an A* at GCSE. I'd advise you to use different sentence types and rhetorical questions that will engage the audience further.

Someone else will give you better critique I'd imagine.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
A university student was traveling home from lectures. As she entered one particularly long, dark stretch of woodland, a car that had been following her suddenly raced up close, and the driver flashed his lights. She glanced up nervously in the mirror and accelerated in order to pull away. The car kept pace and again flashed his lights. Becoming terrified, she pushed her little car as fast as it could go. Again, the car behind her kept up and flashed his lights at her.

Within moments, the student saw flashing blue lights from an approaching police car. Relieved, she pulled over to the shoulder and so did the car behind her. She watched as the police car pulled up behind them both, the officer quickly exited his car, and then raced to her car. The officer opened her door, yanked her out and pulled her, stumbling, to the front of her car. Flustered, she started to ask the officer what she'd done wrong. Before answering, he ran back to the car, opened the back door and shouted, "Get out of the car slowly with your hands in the air." As the college student watched in amazement, a large man holding a knife got out of the back seat of her car. As he was being handcuffed, the man from the other car told the university student that he was flashing his lights every time the man would rise up from the back seat to stab her.

Reads like a story a 13-year-old emo girl would write. Don't give up your day job.
Reply 10
Original post by Scientist lol
I don't know what level I'm comparing this against.

I finished my undergraduate degree in June.
Reply 11
People are only negging because they're so indoctrinated against true talent.
Original post by Xaob
I finished my undergraduate degree in June.

Ha! I'd imagine you didn't take a degree in English though right?

I'm not intent on being offensive whatsoever, though such a basic story failing on most levels doesn't interest me or TSR.

Wow nice story, two paragraphs of description. Definitely better than Austen and Dickens, children should definitely study those masterpieces you write.

Wait, you're an undergraduate? No offence, but I've written more gripping and engaging stuff as part of my GCSE coursework and just scraped an A.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by lukas1051
Wow nice story, two paragraphs of description. Definitely better than Austen and Dickens, children should definitely study those masterpieces you write.

Wait, you're an undergraduate? No offence, but I've written more gripping and engaging stuff as part of my GCSE coursework and just scraped an A.

Oh do run along. I'm no longer an undergraduate, as if you're proficiency in English was anything more than basic, you'd have seen that I have graduated with a degree in Classics. As for your 'gripping and engaging stuff', I'd be interested in seeing how Random House would receive it whilst begging for the rights to my work.
(edited 13 years ago)
sorry but you story did not take my fancy, but good luck in your writing career
I love The Hungry Caterpillar.
Original post by Xaob

A university student was travelling home from lectures. As she entered one particularly long, dark stretch of woodland, a car that had been following her suddenly raced up close, and the driver flashed his lights. She glanced up nervously in the mirror and accelerated in order to pull away. The car kept pace and again flashed his lights. Becoming terrified, she pushed her little car as fast as it could go. Again, the car behind her kept up and flashed his lights at her.

The story doesn't make sense. Why is there a large man in the back of her car and more importantly how on Earth did she not notice him when she got in? How does the other driver know he was trying to stab the student, looking from behind in the dark, his movements would seem reasonable. Who called the policeman, and how did he know the man was there, neither the officer nor the other driver should know the would-be murderers planand there would surely be more than one officer sent to the scene of a potential murder. I had to read it several times to understand what was actually occuring, which means it's rather unintelligeble.

Overall 2/10 for the story, and probably less for the trolling of Dickens and Austen.
Original post by Xaob
Oh do run along. I'm no longer an undergraduate, as if you're proficiency in English was anything more than basic, you'd have seen that I have graduated with a degree in Classics. As for your 'gripping and engaging stuff', I'd be interested in seeing how Random House would receive it whilst begging for the rights to my work.

Hmmmmn, I'm sure Random House are literally begging for the gold you write, being the modern day Shakespeare you are. To be fair though, crap like Twilight gets published and that consists mainly of cliches, description and dialougue much like your own work, so perhaps if you market it towards horny tween girls you're in with a chance.
I was going to disagree with you. But then I read your writing and came to the conclusion, alas, that there is no hope...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending