The Student Room Group

Virgin media are an awful ISP

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Panda Vinnie
I had Virgin Media 2 years ago, ended up leaving them and switched to Sky.

Sky was the best broadband service I've had until a few months ago when they decide to upgrade the speed to 20Mb, which I was really happy about but it turned out to be complete shit.

The highest speed I get is about 4Mb :facepalm: even though I used to get 6-7Mb on the 8Mb package.

I'm fed-up with UK broadband anyway, it's just pathetic. I was at Abu Dhabi and they have freakin 42Mb for MOBILE broadband, their phones get higher speeds than our PCs :shifty:

VM and their slick 100Mb internetz. (coming soon to a street near you)

What did you expect from Abu Dhabi? 0.01Mb internet?

http://www.virginmediapeople.com/100mb/?buspart=OD_1
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

VM are a profit making organization in the end :biggrin:

You're attempting to patronise me, mistake.

I don't think you're remotely perceptive of the subtle realities of business (Certainly not the subtleties of 7 roll eye emotes)

You have a customer, a customer in any economic climate is essentially gold dust because they chose you out of basically - a ****load. Your reputation is a major projection of your quantitative customer base. And to be honest, decently - you owe your valued customer what they deserve - at least what they pay for.

New customers get exemptions in this system, they're punts as to how long they stay on, and so the deals are often very good for a period of time. The exclusivity of service does not reflect the overall.

No longer can you get value for money. I'm only 19 but it's plainly obvious to me that the companies that control the backbone of our lives are no longer held to the expectations they should be. Wether it be emergeny services, internet or the service in a shop. Standards are low, because people choose to settle for what they get without any question. It's too much effort to complain, and it's fruitless too.

Money talks.
You haven't used AOL. It's impressive that they're broadband is slower than any dial-up connection.
Original post by PrettyBored
You're attempting to patronise me, mistake.

I don't think you're remotely perceptive of the subtle realities of business (Certainly not the subtleties of 7 roll eye emotes)

You have a customer, a customer in any economic climate is essentially gold dust because they chose you out of basically - a ****load. Your reputation is a major projection of your quantitative customer base. And to be honest, decently - you owe your valued customer what they deserve - at least what they pay for.

New customers get exemptions in this system, they're punts as to how long they stay on, and so the deals are often very good for a period of time. The exclusivity of service does not reflect the overall.

No longer can you get value for money. I'm only 19 but it's plainly obvious to me that the companies that control the backbone of our lives are no longer held to the expectations they should be. Wether it be emergeny services, internet or the service in a shop. Standards are low, because people choose to settle for what they get without any question. It's too much effort to complain, and it's fruitless too.

Money talks.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

^^ I only use that when i cba to write anything.

Also the points you made are pretty fair, and the thing about no longer getting value for money is wholly true
Reply 24
Hi,

Been with Virgin Media since they baught out Telewest (was with Telewest for many years before then), and since then have seen a gradual decline in customer service to abysmal levels - and most recently, an accute decline in internet services.

We have always had the joint TV, Phone and internet on the highest possible package (XL). The internet is supposed to be 20mbp/s and the bandwith is supposed to be unlimited. I use the internet heavily, and rely on it greatly for gaming, HD media and heavy internet browsing.

As I said before the internet was great up to say the last 5 months (seems to coincide when they braught out their 50mbp/s premium service).

Their "traffic shaping" policy is also quite overt - and you can expect speeds of about 200kb/s at peak times.

They're simply not offering value for money. If they're not prepared to invest in the infrastructure to support it's customer base, then it's time the consumer downsize them.

i agree, ive also been with them for a very long time and have had countless issues! :confused:
Reply 25
i think you just need to stop crying lol. I've had virgin for years, no problems at all. Cant say they're an awful isp on just your experience. They want your moneyz, not your happiness.
Reply 26
Original post by Jampolo
i think you just need to stop crying lol. I've had virgin for years, no problems at all. Cant say they're an awful isp on just your experience. They want your moneyz, not your happiness.

It boggles me how you see the exchange of money for satisfaction of service as mutually exclusive.If you own the business, imagine You're a customer, you'd care about yourself in this context (and invariably every other customer - it's YOUR money, YOUR service, YOUR (potential) job, YOUR family, YOUR business) Your perception of the is issue is quite quaint like every other fu**er.

I was projecting that on solely business/monetary terms, and In my experience and perspective on the overall situation - business no longer invest in their customers, relying on sheer market size and exposure to recouperate their short comings.

Is that acceptable as a customer?
Original post by Miss_Rachel
Had nothing but problems with them.
Keep waking up to find no internet, and they are less than helpful when we ring them to find out why.

So getting Sky in January :biggrin:

Likewise.

Except for the Sky bit...well, I dunno. I am tempted, and I know someone who sells Sky..but it's not really my decision.
Reply 28
Up until around a month ago, I always responded to these threads with "yes, they suck if you get anything less than the 50mb package. We've had the 50 mb package for over a year with no limits, downtime or traffic shaping and it's been exemplary in every way".

However, this month there have been problems and we've been getting ~25% packet loss. Raaarrrrrrgggh.
Every single ISP is far from perfect, every problem or personal experience here can be said to be true for at least one subscriber for every ISP there is,- anywhere.

No ISP is perfect everywhere, and every ISP has issues.

Get used to it, no matter which provider you go with, somewhere down the line you will find problems.

The very nature of the industry means this.
Reply 30
Op, you might have some good points, but you also manage to make yourself sound like an absolute tit.

However bad Virgin are, I bet they don't have an independent website dedicated to their customer's problems.
Reply 31
Original post by TKC
Op, you might have some good points, but you also manage to make yourself sound like an absolute tit.

I'm drinking, and as such, don't care - but I normally would address your concern - and sorry.
Original post by TKC

However bad Virgin are, I bet they don't have an independent website dedicated to their customer's problems.

They do actually, "you tit".
http://community.virginmedia.com/
Silly boy.
meh fine for us, Nottingham, we pay for 20mb and it's usually 18-19.8.
Reply 34
Original post by super.teve
They do actually, "you tit".
http://community.virginmedia.com/
Silly boy.

That seems to be a standard help forum under the virginmedia.com domain instead of an independent website, but errm...congrats. :s-smilie:
Reply 35
I'm from Liverpool and I worked in the Albert Dock with my brother for a while well Telewest was based there (when it was still Telewest) - they knew they were so bad (and Virgin) that they don't even use their employees don't even use their own cables or phone networks (e.g they use Orange instead of their own network)
Reply 36
Original post by tonberry
I'm from Liverpool and I worked in the Albert Dock with my brother for a while well Telewest was based there (when it was still Telewest) - they knew they were so bad (and Virgin) that they don't even use their employees don't even use their own cables or phone networks (e.g they use Orange instead of their own network)

Sorry but can you repeat that? I don't understand (Not being funny in any way)
Reply 37
Sorry but can you repeat that? I don't understand (Not being funny in any way)

I just meant that Virgin employees (my dad included) know that their speeds and phone networks are so terrible that even they wont use them. The example being, their employees use o2 instead of Virgin for their phones.
Reply 38
Lol at my home it took a BT engineer 9 hours of slogging in our hall and at the exchange box in the pouring rain to increase our line to a maximum 200kb/s.
Reply 39
Original post by tonberry
I just meant that Virgin employees (my dad included) know that their speeds and phone networks are so terrible that even they wont use them. The example being, their employees use o2 instead of Virgin for their phones.

Exactly mate, it's shocking. They seem to be limiting bandwith on supposedly unlimited accounts, and caping transfer rates to obscene levels at peak times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending