The Student Room Group

As Unit 1 Biology AQA Jan 11

Scroll to see replies

Original post by woods.vanessa
Ester?
Wasnt it between sucrose or glucose or something?

Yep. It was a glycocidic bond. I did put ester bond at first though, then crossed it out.
Reply 61
Original post by manea
Oh, damn you, SEMs and TEMs! *frustartion mode on*
Whyyy do they have to put those stupid ratio/chance/blahblahblah questions...
At least I like emphysema and TB.

What did you get for calculations? 9.09 and 0.44?

yep i got the same as you
Yeah it was a glycosidic bond because it wasn't the bond between glycerol and a fatty acid.

Also, the 0.2 ratio thing...

I put 4 and 16?

0.1 of 20 is 2 so 0.2 is 4 and 0.8 is 16
Reply 63
Original post by EffKayy
Think i got 5/5 and 5/5 but i lost the first mark as i put cellwall and i forgot sem disadvantages.. :frown:

I put membrane, but do we have to write plasma membrane or whatever?

I couldnt remember why TEM is better either! lol. I took a guess and said better resolution but i am pretty sure thats wrong from the pictures I have seen. I'm self taught external candidate so i have only seen text books and things.

i got .35 for the concentration where there was no mass change. almost put 3.5 which would have been a reeeeally stupid mistake!!

I got glycosidic bond wrong, but it was only a few marks so hopefully not too bad :s-smilie: put 9 water molecules. counted all the Rs and then added one for the molecule lost between fructose and glucose.
Original post by Superlogon
the answer was ester bond

no it was not. ester bonds are not on the syllabus
Original post by stealth_writer
i just put glycerol is that right

yeh it only asked for one, I think
Reply 66

I put glycerol and three fatty acids as well i put a glycocidic bond as ester is only between fatty acids i thought maybe be wrong

Also what did everyone put for water molecules released i put two as one for glucose and fructose and one for sucrose and fatty acid but depends on how many fatty acids joined???
how did everyone find the last 2 questions?
Original post by Jorgeyy
Yeah it was a glycosidic bond because it wasn't the bond between glycerol and a fatty acid.

Also, the 0.2 ratio thing...

I put 4 and 16?

0.1 of 20 is 2 so 0.2 is 4 and 0.8 is 16

I put 4 and 16 too :biggrin:
Ok so only mistakes i've identified:

Heart question choosing the 2 letters

Last 2 questions, probs lost half marks

Not bad, thanks LADs x
What bout the hiv ones#???
Reply 71
Original post by rozevans
I put membrane, but do we have to write plasma membrane or whatever?

I couldnt remember why TEM is better either! lol. I took a guess and said better resolution but i am pretty sure thats wrong from the pictures I have seen. I'm self taught external candidate so i have only seen text books and things.

i got .35 for the concentration where there was no mass change. almost put 3.5 which would have been a reeeeally stupid mistake!!

I got glycosidic bond wrong, but it was only a few marks so hopefully not too bad :s-smilie: put 9 water molecules. counted all the Rs and then added one for the molecule lost between fructose and glucose.

OMG YEAH i wrote 0.34-0.35 :P

no the tem is better because of the resolution! :smile: thats right. :P
Original post by KingofSpades
how did everyone find the last 2 questions?

Got really confused by the tuberculosis one. There was so little space but so much to write. The Nelson Thornes textbook goes on for a page and a half about it... I paraphrased pretty much everything.

For the emhysema one, I wrote that the elastin is permanently stretched so smaller area for gas exchange also less air breathed in per minute due to difficulties in expiration. Then I wrote about how mitochondria need O2 for respiration which produces ATP for cell processes.
You mean HPV?

Remind me of the questions and i'll help ya
Why do 12 to 13 yo girks have to have it
Reply 75
how many water molcules were released....following tht ques where the first one was glycosidic, second glycerol.....
Reply 76
SO FAR:

lost the first mark.
put 70s ribosomes instead of 80s. :frown:
couldnt think of an SEM advantage.
got one of the heart letters wrong.
water molecule bond..
then the 0.2 ratio..

So.
6marks .. 54 so far.... dropped WAY more.
Original post by tehsponge
Got really confused by the tuberculosis one. There was so little space but so much to write. The Nelson Thornes textbook goes on for a page and a half about it... I paraphrased pretty much everything.

For the emhysema one, I wrote that the elastin is permanently stretched so smaller area for gas exchange also less air breathed in per minute due to difficulties in expiration. Then I wrote about how mitochondria need O2 for respiration which produces ATP for cell processes.

yeh I got the same pretty much. how did the general populous at your sixth form/college find it?

I'm trying to get an estimate as to the grade boundaries.

Did anyone else get 11 for the water molecules?
Reply 78
Right someone needs to explain to me how the fook you do the calculation one. With the answer 0.44

Im really awful at converting units properly
The majority of 12-13 year old girls aren't sexually active and since HPV is transferred through sexual contact it is unlikely they will have/have had the virus therefore the vaccination is given to them at this stage.

Something like that I think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending