The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 4 24/01/11 Reaction thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
any clues or ideas as to what may come up guys?
Reply 41
At a guess -

1. Light Independent Reaction
2. Succession
3. Global Warming
4. DNA Profiling / PCR
5. Specific Response to Infection
6. DNA Synthesis (Again)

Sorry as its not really specific, some things are a given really and you cannot assume that because it didn't come up in June that it will come up in January. You know you are going to get your core practicals, in June they were antibiotics and the effect of temperature. From that and experience at AS maybe I would suggest that there will be a question on abundance and distribution and DNA Profiling.

I am slightly concerned about the throwback links they put in back to AS, as they can take you by surprise.

Who knows really.
Original post by RTom
At a guess -

1. Light Independent Reaction
2. Succession
3. Global Warming
4. DNA Profiling / PCR
5. Specific Response to Infection
6. DNA Synthesis (Again)

Sorry as its not really specific, some things are a given really and you cannot assume that because it didn't come up in June that it will come up in January. You know you are going to get your core practicals, in June they were antibiotics and the effect of temperature. From that and experience at AS maybe I would suggest that there will be a question on abundance and distribution and DNA Profiling.

I am slightly concerned about the throwback links they put in back to AS, as they can take you by surprise.

Who knows really.

I think there might be either a Global Warming effects question... or asking us to interpret some data on global warming - the evidence...

I also think there will be an ECOLOGY question - either succession or the measuring abundance and distribution OR both... sigh

Plus, Immunity sort of question - vaccines etc.
Reply 43
Original post by chemdweeb1234
I think there might be either a Global Warming effects question... or asking us to interpret some data on global warming - the evidence...

I also think there will be an ECOLOGY question - either succession or the measuring abundance and distribution OR both... sigh

Plus, Immunity sort of question - vaccines etc.

There will probably be a how science works question on ecology and one on the immune response.
Reply 44
any pointers on what may come up??
Reply 45
sorry should have read ur reply! thanks a lot for that mate!
HSW questions really seem to throw me... any tips?
Reply 46
Original post by Rei5
sorry should have read ur reply! thanks a lot for that mate!
HSW questions really seem to throw me... any tips?

State the obvious, use manipulation of figures and don't try and say the same thing twice. That's all you need for these questions. If it's three marks you need three points and so on. That's basically hsw questions in a nutshell.

Oh yeah and look at the mark scheme so you know what they mark you on.
Reply 47
http://www.scribd.com/doc/46115609/6BI04-01-pef- - June 2010 Examiners Report

http://www.scribd.com/doc/46056342/6BI01-6BI02-6BI07-6BI04-6BI05-6BI08-Summer-2010-Mark-Scheme#outer_page_52 - June 2010 Mark Scheme (Have to skip to it)

Question paper, someone else linked to earlier. Just not seen the above documents until today.
wen u talk about the calvin cycle can we jus refer to the terms as GP and GALP or do we ave to say the full name??:confused:
Original post by StudentToday
wen u talk about the calvin cycle can we jus refer to the terms as GP and GALP or do we ave to say the full name??:confused:

I think its safe to write out to full version. However in mark schemes I have only ever seen the abbreviations though.
Reply 50
Do we have to know the Carbon cycle (links to global warming) & Nitrogen cycle (links to decomposition)?? It doesn't mention it in spec but it could come up as it is synoptic? Is this true?
Reply 51
Original post by imaam
Do we have to know the Carbon cycle (links to global warming) & Nitrogen cycle (links to decomposition)?? It doesn't mention it in spec but it could come up as it is synoptic? Is this true?

It came up in the jan 2010 paper about cows.
Original post by tkoki1993
I think its safe to write out to full version. However in mark schemes I have only ever seen the abbreviations though.

k prob jus gunna abbreviate then. also, u no GALP, in the revision guide doesnt it refer to it as TP (trios phosphate or summin) or is tht summin completely different?
Original post by StudentToday
k prob jus gunna abbreviate then. also, u no GALP, in the revision guide doesnt it refer to it as TP (trios phosphate or summin) or is tht summin completely different?

Yeah, they're the same thing
Reply 54
woohoo finally found this thread. So hows every1s revision going? sucks that we only have two past papers to practice on :cry2:
Can someone pls explain...how does reproduction isolation cause speciation?

people here's a link to Biol4 + Biol5 papers http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29191045&highlight=Biol4 AQA
Original post by you-belong-with-me
Can someone pls explain...how does reproduction isolation cause speciation?

There are slight genetic differences between two populations. The two populations are unable to breed due to reproductive barriers. Over time, the slight genetic differences become very different due to different selective pressures and new species emerge. (I hope that was clear)
Reply 58
could someone plz plz plz post all past papers from this along with mark schemes... reeeeli need them
Reply 59
any one from HK or Australia ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending