The Student Room Group

A2 aqa geography june 2011 official thread

I know it is only Feb but I thought it would be a good idea to get the ball rolling and solve any issues about this exam.

We can discuss; exam technique, revision, topics etc.
All in the run up to June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lw:)
I know it is only Feb but I thought it would be a good idea to get the ball rolling and solve any issues about this exam.

We can discuss; exam technique, revision, topics etc.
All in the run up to June

Hii im sitting AQA Unit 3 on June 14th and am doing Ecosystems , World Cities and Plate Tectonics. I need to get 90/120 so a B to get an A overall for the A level so am going to start revising next week sad i know but i wanna make my firm choice lol :biggrin: quote me
Reply 2
Original post by jimbo9292
Hii im sitting AQA Unit 3 on June 14th and am doing Ecosystems , World Cities and Plate Tectonics. I need to get 90/120 so a B to get an A overall for the A level so am going to start revising next week sad i know but i wanna make my firm choice lol :biggrin: quote me

helloo, im doing the same but weather and climate not ecosystems, yeah i need to work out my grades, i need an A overall but haven't added the numbers yet :smile:
Hi :biggrin: I'm doing this exam too in June. At the moment we're learning 4 topics (Plate Tectonics, World Cities, Ecosystems and Development and Globalisation) but get to choose later the 3 we want to revise for the exam. I'm really enjoying the physical topics but world cities is killing me due to having a bit of a rubbish teacher :smile:
Reply 4
Exam Dates:

14th June
17th June (Resit)
Reply 5
what is the best revision guide for AQA A2 geography? anyone know?
Reply 6
Geofact Sheets are decent for core knowledge but the case studies can be outdated and unreliable. My Geog teacher made my class a revision guide for World Cities, W&C, Development and Globalisation and PLate Tectonics, so maybe you could ask your teachers to do the same? If not just go over and over your own notes referencing them to course books (Nelson Thorne and Philip Alan for AQA). Make mind maps, revision cards, flip cards for key terms (one side has the key term and the reverse side has the definition (I find this to be very helpful)). Perform basic memory exercises such as Mnemonics and LCWC. Read notes every 4 hours for the first day of revising, then the next day just once, then in 4 days time, then a week, the re-write it down over and over again.

Simple things like that make a huge difference... if you have the patience and don't procrastinate. Haha.
Reply 7
Hopefully someone will be able to give me a bit of advice....

Im currently studying AQA AS Geography but I'm seriously considering sitting both the A2 modules this summer. In the January Unit 1 exam I scored 107/140 UMS marks and have consistently scored 48/60 UMS marks on Unit 2 mock exams.

At this point in time I have done no revision for the Unit 3 and 4 exams, however the Unit 4(fieldwork option) paper looks very similar to Unit 2. Considering all of these factors do you think it would be realistically achieveable for me to obtain a B grade overall (280/400 UMS), if I were to start learning and revising the Unit 3 and 4 modules next week, in order to sit the exams on the 14th and 17th of June.

Your opinions will be appreciated greatly as you have experienced the difficulty of learning these modules throughout the year,thanks for any and all responses.
Original post by Geoff89

Im currently studying AQA AS Geography but I'm seriously considering sitting both the A2 modules this summer. In the January Unit 1 exam I scored 107/140 UMS marks and have consistently scored 48/60 UMS marks on Unit 2 mock exams.

At this point in time I have done no revision for the Unit 3 and 4 exams, however the Unit 4(fieldwork option) paper looks very similar to Unit 2. Considering all of these factors do you think it would be realistically achieveable for me to obtain a B grade overall (280/400 UMS), if I were to start learning and revising the Unit 3 and 4 modules next week, in order to sit the exams on the 14th and 17th of June.

Your opinions will be appreciated greatly as you have experienced the difficulty of learning these modules throughout the year,thanks for any and all responses.

Don't underestimate that Unit 4 paper! Lol.

I personally found the statistical element of the geography specification difficult but if you are good at maths you should be fine. I sat Unit 4 in Jan 2011 and got 50 UMS which was a C.
I'm doing this exam too :biggrin:

I need 72/120 to get an A overall or 106 to get an A* so I'm aiming for anything above 72 :biggrin:

I've studied (and still studying) Tectonics, Ecosystems, World Cities and Conflicts.

Im thinking of doing my essay on Conflicts if its on international/local conflicts or plate tectonics. Meaning I'd be doing shorter answers on Ecosystems and Plate Tectonics or Ecosystems and Conflicts/World Cities.

I think ^

Not looking forward to the essay though.
Original post by Geoff89

Unit 4A is very different from Unit 2 in my opinion. You have to relate everything back to your fieldwork and its much harder and they are all long answer questions (5-12 marks).

I havent yet started revising for unit 3, so it is probably realistic if you have a good unit 2 and 4a paper.
Everyone seen the pre-release/AIB?
Anyone got any special information on it? or go to that meeting in london for geography last week and get any information?
Reply 12
Original post by CrypticGoose
Don't underestimate that Unit 4 paper! Lol.

I personally found the statistical element of the geography specification difficult but if you are good at maths you should be fine. I sat Unit 4 in Jan 2011 and got 50 UMS which was a C.

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with the statistical element, my main problem is finishing the exam. Unit 3 doesn't look that difficult to finish in time but Unit 4 does. I have a tendency to go into too much detail for simpler questions.

Original post by Right Guard 3.D
Unit 4A is very different from Unit 2 in my opinion. You have to relate everything back to your fieldwork and its much harder and they are all long answer questions (5-12 marks).

I havent yet started revising for unit 3, so it is probably realistic if you have a good unit 2 and 4a paper.

You're right the questions are a lot harder for Unit 4A, however they revolve around the same principles as the questions in Unit 2.

I think I'm going to take the risk and sit the A2 exams this year, if i get a B (42) in Unit 2, which is the minimum I expect to achieve, I will be sitting on 149UMS marks. This will mean I would only need 91 UMS marks from the A2 exams to get a C and 131 UMS marks to get a B. Considering the closeness of the grade boundaries on these units I think its worth the risk.
Reply 13
Original post by Right Guard 3.D
I'm doing this exam too :biggrin:

I need 72/120 to get an A overall or 106 to get an A* so I'm aiming for anything above 72 :biggrin:

I've studied (and still studying) Tectonics, Ecosystems, World Cities and Conflicts.

Im thinking of doing my essay on Conflicts if its on international/local conflicts or plate tectonics. Meaning I'd be doing shorter answers on Ecosystems and Plate Tectonics or Ecosystems and Conflicts/World Cities.

I think ^

Not looking forward to the essay though.

Hi just to let u know u carnt do the short answer questions on both ecosystems and plate tectonics because there both physical topics , in the exam u have to do short answers on 1 phhysical topic ie ecosystems and 1 human topic ie world cities and then the essay on a topic u havnt answered yet ie tectonics or conflicts :tongue:
Reply 14
I'm also doing this exam. We do five topics and the teachers want us to revise all five, but I'm doing three because it worked for me last year. I need 72/120 for an A overall, which I worked out in raw marks, if grade boundaries are the same as last year, equates to 48%, which in grade terminology is a C (60%).
hi, im sitting the exam in juce too!

doing tectonics, weather and climate, world cities and conflict

to be honest im struggling, as my notes arnt great!

has anybody got any revision guides?
Original post by jimbo9292
Hi just to let u know u carnt do the short answer questions on both ecosystems and plate tectonics because there both physical topics , in the exam u have to do short answers on 1 phhysical topic ie ecosystems and 1 human topic ie world cities and then the essay on a topic u havnt answered yet ie tectonics or conflicts :tongue:

Ahh, damn you! Ruined my line up for the exam :P

Seriously though, thanks for clearing that up. Much appreciated :colondollar:
Original post by Geoff89

Wouldn't advise it, unit 4 and unit 2 exams do appear similar but dont underestimate unit 4. I got full UMS on units 1 and 2 yet got a D on unit 4 and it wasnt from a lack of work
There is a lot of content in unit 3 as well which would be very difficult to learn on top of your unit 2 stuff, so I would just wait until next year to do those modules
Hey guys, I'm doing this exam. Doing the World cities, Conflict, (Human Geog) Weather and Climate, Plate tectonics (Physical). Just wondering what case studies everybody is using if they're doing any of these.

Also, anyone know where or have some good summaries on the Weather and Climate topic? I think I get most of it, but that probably means I don't know it well enough. :smile:
Original post by Zenmatters
Hey guys, I'm doing this exam. Doing the World cities, Conflict, (Human Geog) Weather and Climate, Plate tectonics (Physical). Just wondering what case studies everybody is using if they're doing any of these.

Also, anyone know where or have some good summaries on the Weather and Climate topic? I think I get most of it, but that probably means I don't know it well enough. :smile:

conflict:
my teacher thinks the 40 marker will be on international conflict
ie. darfur, afghanistan, israel etc

separatism and multiculturalism have already come up as 40 markers in the past.
separatism - n ireland, basque(eta), scotland...

world cities:
dharavi, manilla, mexico city, ledc cities...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending