The Student Room Group

BUgging M1

THis is supposed to be simple!! But I can't get the answer from the book.

Book ans=36.9N for friction 43.3 N for force parallel to slope.

I got the 43.3 but the friction I cant get! Ahh.

Question.

A block of mass 10kg rests on a rough surface inclined at 30degrees to the horizontal. The coefficent of friction is 0.3. A horizontal force of 50N is applied to the block,tending to push the block up the slope. Investigate whether or not the block moves.

HELP! I tried all sorts of stuff! Even reverse engineering with the answer!
Reply 1
Original post by Destroyviruses
THis is supposed to be simple!! But I can't get the answer from the book.

Book ans=36.9N for friction 43.3 N for force parallel to slope.

I got the 43.3 but the friction I cant get! Ahh.

Question.

A block of mass 10kg rests on a rough surface inclined at 30degrees to the horizontal. The coefficent of friction is 0.3. A horizontal force of 50N is applied to the block,tending to push the block up the slope. Investigate whether or not the block moves.

HELP! I tried all sorts of stuff! Even reverse engineering with the answer!

Where does the question come from? The force parallel to the slope is 43.3N minus the gravitational component - so it is wrong to state force parallel to plane is 43.3N and I don't think the text book would give such an answer.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by steve2005
Where does the question come from? The force parallel to the slope is 43.3N minus the gravitational component - so it is wrong to state force parallel to plane is 43.3N and I don't think the text book would give such an answer.

its from "advanced maths for aqa mechanics, by brian jefferson" oxford university press is the publisher.

I think it just means that force that was applied not gravity.

What Im bugged about is the friction!!! Do you know how to get it?
Reply 3
i think the books 36.9 is wrong.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quick Reply

Latest