The Student Room Group

Should the UK introduce a death penalty?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spazman21
Okay....

I don't really have time for people who are too thick to interpret graphs and who discard clear evidence as meaning "eff all" for no specific reason.

What evidence do you have for your "bet" that makes you so confident?

You cannot put a figure on a deterrent. I rely more on common sense :wink:
Original post by EnglishCrusader
You cannot put a figure on a deterrent. I rely more on common sense :wink:

LOLOLOLOL

Where is it then?
Reply 82
No, just stricter prison sentences.
No, do not join the barbarians
Reply 84
No (and it's not because they could be innocent - it's just "no")
Reply 85
Original post by Inzamam99
Neither does giving allowing mass murderers and torturers of children a chance to live.

I disagree. I don't think that you get to make that decision.
Reply 86
No.
Original post by Annora
I disagree. I don't think that you get to make that decision.

Yeah and why should ANYONE have the right to make it then? If anything it should be victim's family who decides whether they want the death sentence for the criminal or not.
Reply 88
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
Yes. The worst criminals deserve death for their unforgivable crimes. As a weak and feeble society, we stray from the atrocities these people have committed, and fail to lay down a strong and ultimate punishment. Life in prison is a joke for some criminals, compared to the weight of their offences.

It sickens me that people will show sympathy for the scum of the Earth.

You are misguided in attributing sympathy. Unlike you most of us do not want to base a civilised justice system on simplistic conceptions of emotion. What you fail to grasp is that prison should be first and foremost about protecting the public. Everything else comes as a result of that. The punishment, the rehabilitation, everything else is indirect and thus cannot be directly attributed to the state and to the people.

Your conception of prison evidently rests upon what you feel a certain individual deserves, that is obviously entirely subjective and differs completely from one individual to the other. You want death for a murderer, I want rape, torture and dismemberment. Given that your system rests solely on emotive and direct ideas of punishment and revenge, you cannot argue against my suggestion because I am using exactly the same justification and reasoning as you are.

Thus your position, as always has quite massive flaws that open you up utterly to situations I don't think you are entirely comfortable with.
This corrupted state should not be given more power.

However I really do believe that human rights nuts should start considering the rights of the victims more than the criminals, and that life should mean life.
Reply 90
Original post by Inzamam99
Yeah and why should ANYONE have the right to make it then? If anything it should be victim's family who decides whether they want the death sentence for the criminal or not.

That's absurd.

You shouldn't be allowed people because you feel angry. Someone whose daughter was raped would probably want to torture and kill her rapist - that doesn't make it acceptable. Different cases have the ability to evoke intense emotions from people - a pretty girl that was murdered makes people a lot angrier than a homeless man. Was one life worth more than the other?

The justice system should not be about vengeance. People should be incarcerated or not depending on the threat they pose to society. But every person has the right to life, that is a basic human right, whether they are a criminal or not.
It's against the law to smack your own child, why on Earth would the death penalty come back?

Also it'll create even more paperwork, loopholes and pen pushers to clog up the system. Even if it was reintroduced I bet none would be put to death because of the 0.01% margin of error and of course the EU's Human Rights. The government wouldn't want to lose face by accidentally killing an innocent person or one where some still had doubts on their guilt, even if the evidence weighed heavily against them, it would just end up being used as a bargaining chip, because really, how many people are charged with 1st degree murder?
no, but jail should be made worse, they have an easy life in there, free food, roof over their head etc...... And when someone gets LIFE in prison they shouldn't be let off for "being good" Idiots.
No. The moment one person dies from the death penalty (Which is inevitable), it is absolutely and unequivocally wrong. Not happening.
Original post by Annora
That's absurd.

You shouldn't be allowed people because you feel angry. Someone whose daughter was raped would probably want to torture and kill her rapist - that doesn't make it acceptable. Different cases have the ability to evoke intense emotions from people - a pretty girl that was murdered makes people a lot angrier than a homeless man. Was one life worth more than the other?

The justice system should not be about vengeance. People should be incarcerated or not depending on the threat they pose to society. But every person has the right to life, that is a basic human right, whether they are a criminal or not.

That so called basic human right was created by man and can be destroyed by man. I haven't got time to go on arguing but I continue to believe that certain people such as sadistic mass murderers unequivocally qualify for the death penalty.
Original post by Stalin
What if the man/woman is innocent but proven guilty? You've gone and killed an innocent person, haven't you?

The whole concept of the death penalty scares me for exactly this reason.

I think it is a much worse punishment to be locked up for life (but I think it should BE "life", and not 15 years or whatever people get away with these days).. imagine being in prison.. you'd have a horrible time. Imagine being dead.. you'd know nothing about it and wouldn't really get "punished" as such for your crimes.
Reply 96
There are times when I do wish we had a death penalty for the worst offenders. I don't see why we should keep them alive, nor do I believe executing a criminal makes us "as bad as them". I don't get the logic there.

Having said that, I believe criminals should suffer for their crimes as much as possible, and the best way to do that is a long miserable stint in jail. LIFE should mean LIFE. Those who are given this sentence should be kept in jail until their dying day.
Reply 97
Yes. Cheaper than life in jail
Reply 98
The reason Britain is going downhill is because people are losing their values to the point we think we are too civilized to put criminals in jail and where people become obsessed with the 'human rights' of criminals. Debates such as whether prisoners should be given the right to vote are just pathetic and show how this country is not in the right track.

Using the death penalty is by far better than the justice system that we have today where criminals are not even punished.
Original post by flugelr
yes. Cheaper than life in jail

bring back death penalty!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending