The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by snowyowl
I just had some of this:

Yummy, and only 88 calories a serving! But then you read the nutritional information on the cake... a serving is 1/9 of the cake. 1/9? I easily eat a quarter of it in one go, and I don't even eat all that much really :frown:

I know, I was the same with this:

And this:

It declares "80 calories per slice!", so you cut a slice. The ones in the picture are NOT that "recommended slice size" however - and I was cutting even BIGGER doorsteps than that!! Very deceiving!

And as for the Miniature Heroes/Celebrations thing, I can remember my fat days when I used to dive my hand into a tub and pull out handfuls of them. Same with the likes of big tubs of Maltesers, Minstrels, etc.... *shudder*
I abide by most serving sizes, it's okay once you get used to it. However, I am on a diet, so it all helps me stick to my daily 1500 kcal..

I almost always have the serving suggestion of cereal, pasta, rice, noodles and cheese.
I usually judge food on the per 100g thing. Serving sizes don't help much :frown:
With cereal I find if I try to follow the servings = hungry again too soon, end up eating junk/calories I should have had with extra cereal which would have stopped the snacking later on :biggrin:
Original post by TotoMimo
Oh, another shocker.

A portion size of Weetabix Minis (40g), depending on variety (fruit, chocolate, regular, etc) is 12-15 minis.

Just had 50g of this (didn't know what the portion size was as it was a foreign box of it) with 150ml of milk and I'm more than satisfied with that.
Found out today that my beloved crunchy peanut butter is 59 calories and 5g of fat per serving. So a serving must be about the amount you put on a slice of toast?

A serving is 10 grams. I have at least 50g on a slice of toast!
Reply 186
Eep, Soapy... I know what you mean when it comes to dip/spreads etc.

Even humble ketchup. I mean, 15 calories per serving (15g) is very low calorie, but how many of you have a teaspoonful of ketchup on your chips?

Note: 15g looks like this.

I bet everyone (myself included) uses that squeeze bottle of Heinz like a FIRE HOSE. In fact, the Mirror even conducted an experiment with Mayo and Ketchup with a group of kids, letting them have as much as they wanted, and found almost all were having in excess of 65g, which is over four servings, and one little maniac had over 100g, squeezing more onto the plate every time he finished!
Eep, Soapy... I know what you mean when it comes to dip/spreads etc.

Even humble ketchup. I mean, 15 calories per serving (15g) is very low calorie, but how many of you have a teaspoonful of ketchup on your chips?

Note: 15g looks like this.

I bet everyone (myself included) uses that squeeze bottle of Heinz like a FIRE HOSE. In fact, the Mirror even conducted an experiment with Mayo and Ketchup with a group of kids, letting them have as much as they wanted, and found almost all were having in excess of 65g, which is over four servings, and one little maniac had over 100g, squeezing more onto the plate every time he finished!

I have to say I'm usually quite good with ketchup! It's pesto that gets me. I like to think I'm being healthy by having roasted vegetables covered in pesto - it's only vegetables and a little bit of sauce, right? A serving of pesto is 187 calories, and that's a sixth of a jar. I have twice that! Never realised that something so green and fresh-looking could be so unhealthy :frown:
Reply 188
Oh, and pretty relevant - my colleague at work keeps yapping about "Dominos Two for Tuesdays". He always goes on about how every Tuesday he and his flatmate get a large Mighty Meaty or Mixed Grill pizza each and they eat a full one to themselves, with brownie bites, and a litre bottle of Coke each. It just reminded me that a serving size of takeaway pizza is
700-800 calories, and that's:

Two slices of medium pan pizza.

It also reminded me of this picture I came across, of those "basics/value" range plain pizzas (which are like bigger versions of those little awesome saucer-sized kid's Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles pizzas), which specifies a serving of one of those is a quarter of a pizza. Now, these aren't TINY pizzas, but they're not big either...

Reply 189
I dread to think how many portions of stuff i actually eat, i can easily go through a 12" pizza which is 6 portions?!
why do they make the portions so small?
Reply 190
Oh, and pretty relevant - my colleague at work keeps yapping about "Dominos Two for Tuesdays". He always goes on about how every Tuesday he and his flatmate get a large Mighty Meaty or Mixed Grill pizza each and they eat a full one to themselves, with brownie bites, and a litre bottle of Coke each. It just reminded me that a serving size of takeaway pizza is
700-800 calories, and that's:

Two slices of medium pan pizza.

It also reminded me of this picture I came across, of those "basics/value" range plain pizzas (which are like bigger versions of those little awesome saucer-sized kid's Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles pizzas), which specifies a serving of one of those is a quarter of a pizza. Now, these aren't TINY pizzas, but they're not big either...

There's a local takeaway place that does BOGOF on pizzas any day any time. I like value for money, so I always insist we get 12" all round (if they did 14" I would insist on that). I will happily eat a pizza (usually a farmhouse) of that size to myself in one sitting, as well as a portion of cheesy chips. Everyone else will usually leave a couple of slices each. I have been known to help finish those extra slices in the same night too.
And I'm a skinny bastard.
The size of the servings in this thread are ridiculous! It makes me hungry just seeing the size of them knowing they could never fill me up! I must be so unhealthy, bring on the heart attack.
2 slices of pizza? lol I can't remember the last time I ate just 2 slices of pizza
With Dominos I usually have at least 5-6 slices, usually 7 if I can steal another one :p: oh dear :frown:
It's like when I buy a block of Marzipan to munch on and keep me going, you look a the back and it says 500 calories, which is cool, and then you realise that's per 100g! These are 500g packs! I don't quite understand it though, cos I'm still in shape.
Reply 194
Antiaris, that's probably a blessing in disguise. But that said, Porridge is one of the few things I'd agree with you on; 50g is usually a pretty beastin' portion.

One thing that's shockingly small for a portion is usually the likes of Muesli.

The picture below is the weighed recommended "portion" of Swiss-style Muesli:

To be fair, Dorset cereals give you an allowance of 75g. Which is a lot better :tongue:
Reply 195
I realised cereal portion sizes were ridiculously small when i tried the special k diet, only lasted a week on those tiny portions!!
Reply 196
If you think cereal portions are small you can add fruit and thus get one of your 5 a day as well
Reply 197
Original post by polka_dott
With Dominos I usually have at least 5-6 slices, usually 7 if I can steal another one :p: oh dear :frown:

If you eat 6, that's like 2400 calories if it's a non-greasy topping pizza! That's the recommended amount for a man, for the day. But in terms of saturated fat, you've exceeded several days amount, apparently!

Two for Tuesdays indeed!
Reply 198
Original post by RachaelS
I realised cereal portion sizes were ridiculously small when i tried the special k diet, only lasted a week on those tiny portions!!

Oh, and yeah - the Special K Diet is effectively the starvation diet with a more appealing name. I was watching a video online where they did an experiment where two women were simultaneously on diets using the same principle - replacing two meals with a specific product, one could have 2 bowls of Special K and milk (2x300 calories), and a full balanced meal a day, and the other one got to have the equivalent calories in junk food and a full balanced meal each day.

The latter woman was eating McDonalds cheeseburgers, chocolate, crisps; whatever she wanted, but staying below the equivalent 600 calorie limit a day.

After 14 days the latter woman had lost significantly more weight than the Special K lady, and they speculated it was because the variation of diet, mixed with satisfaction of eating, was more pro-active to the metabolism than eating a single bowl of high-sugar cereal almost perpetually.

Just goes to show you how no matter how false a product, good marketing can sell anything. Hell, even the Subway Diet is just the starvation diet - it's reliant on you eating only twice a day, a veggie delight sub and either another veggie delight or a plain turkey sub later (absolutely no cheese or dressings), like Jared Fogel did over in the USA - but people assume it allows a greater degree of freedom.
If you eat 6, that's like 2400 calories if it's a non-greasy topping pizza! That's the recommended amount for a man, for the day. But in terms of saturated fat, you've exceeded several days amount, apparently!

Two for Tuesdays indeed!

I don't even wanna know the calories for 3/4 of a pizza plus half a garlic pizza bread and wedges.

Latest