The Student Room Group

Feeing less disgusting

Hi, this might be a long one so thank you for reading!

*TW: Eating disorder, weight loss / gain.*

I am currently in 2nd year at uni going into 3rd, and for lack of a better word I was raised scrungly. I never really got taught to wash properly, hygiene wasn’t a really big thing growing up, we farted, burped and my parents talked about pooping and **** quite a lot. I know it’s a bit disgusting. Also as a fat person I feel as though I’m helping to reinforce the stereotype that fat people are unhealthy and unhygienic but I am.

I don’t smell, I’ve actually asked people if I smell and I’m assured I don’t at all so that isn’t the issue at all, but I do constantly feel sweaty and sticky and I feel smell even in the winter, if that makes sense? I was a tomboy growing up and never cared what I looked like or how I smelt or anything like that, but I’m now 20 and love more ‘girly things’ (outdated term but we move) like jewellery, nail varnish, skin routines, hair, makeup etc!

I know I’m also not the healthiest, not necessarily with the food I eat but more so with the amount I eat as my parents are feeders. They like to make a stack of food and have given me that habit too. I do struggle with binge eating disorder which doesn’t help. I eat a lot of food at once and feel mentally and physically sick later and find it really hard to leave food on a plate. I see food and I want to finish it. This is an issue I am working on but it definitely relates to this unhygienic feeling issue that I have going on.

All of this added with failing a module this year as well as ongoing family issues is making my mental health awful. Is there anything I can do to make myself feel better? Any skin routines or advice for that front? Do other people feel like this? Any advice or knowing I’m not alone going through the feelings would be appreciated!

Thank you so much,
-M
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, this might be a long one so thank you for reading!

*TW: Eating disorder, weight loss / gain.*

I am currently in 2nd year at uni going into 3rd, and for lack of a better word I was raised scrungly. I never really got taught to wash properly, hygiene wasn’t a really big thing growing up, we farted, burped and my parents talked about pooping and **** quite a lot. I know it’s a bit disgusting. Also as a fat person I feel as though I’m helping to reinforce the stereotype that fat people are unhealthy and unhygienic but I am.

I don’t smell, I’ve actually asked people if I smell and I’m assured I don’t at all so that isn’t the issue at all, but I do constantly feel sweaty and sticky and I feel smell even in the winter, if that makes sense? I was a tomboy growing up and never cared what I looked like or how I smelt or anything like that, but I’m now 20 and love more ‘girly things’ (outdated term but we move) like jewellery, nail varnish, skin routines, hair, makeup etc!

I know I’m also not the healthiest, not necessarily with the food I eat but more so with the amount I eat as my parents are feeders. They like to make a stack of food and have given me that habit too. I do struggle with binge eating disorder which doesn’t help. I eat a lot of food at once and feel mentally and physically sick later and find it really hard to leave food on a plate. I see food and I want to finish it. This is an issue I am working on but it definitely relates to this unhygienic feeling issue that I have going on.

All of this added with failing a module this year as well as ongoing family issues is making my mental health awful. Is there anything I can do to make myself feel better? Any skin routines or advice for that front? Do other people feel like this? Any advice or knowing I’m not alone going through the feelings would be appreciated!

Thank you so much,
-M

im no expert when it comes to mental health but I can do skin care advise. it my personal skin care Im not an expert as well. Im a bit on the heavy side kind of girl so i can relate with unhealthy eating habits. What I say to myself is, so what if Im a little fat. Atleast I look pretty and my skin looks good.
Hi M
I run a mental health thread in the mental health section here called Weekly wins and woes. You can check it out if you like

I can relate to the bad eating habits. My parents taught me how to cook during my early teens so even if they weren't around I could always make myself some sweet and sugary treat. I understand the feeling of not being able to leave food on the plate, regardless of it's quantity. You'll eat now and then later feel ashamed. It's a sucky feeling. And it's not just the feeling. Being overweight generally really isn't the best position to be in health wise.

To help with my bad eating habits, I picked out a really small container for myself and promised that I wouldn't eat any more than the container could contain. I added intermittent fasting to that. I can eat as much as I like within a time frame. I try to only eat between 8am and 5pm, and I try to only eat 4-5 container fulls. Ofcourse I forget sometimes. Or I can get hungry and go for seconds, or I'll see my family eating an extra something and want to join them. It's all ok. I'll just try again tomorrow.

As for your weight. Start slowly. I'm also trying to lose weight and the process is slow and frustrating. I've chosen to focus on just mobility and flexibility this year so I can get my body used to the work and I don't hurt myself later down the road. Here are some sites I use that could help you:
https://pilateslive.co.uk/easy-pilates-classes/
https://www.doyogawithme.com/yoga-classes?field_media_duration_value%5B4%5D=4&term_node_tid_depth%5B24%5D=24&term_node_tid_depth%5B25%5D=25&field_instructor_target_id=&style%5B30%5D=30&style%5B32%5D=32&style%5B33%5D=33&style%5B45%5D=45&field_subscribers_only_value=1&sort_by=created

I advise not letting your workouts go on for more that 1 hour, or you'll get bored and demotivated. Try to workout at least 3 times a week. Don't push yourself too much. Take baby steps (they're more enjoyable) and stick to your level until you feel it get too easy. I'm a beginner too!

People constantly recommend going on all sorts of diets but they never account for those who's diet is whatever their parents buy. So don't bother with that stuff if you can't change it. Eat what you like in smaller portions in a given amount of time (8am-5pm is my time frame, figure out yours)

Everyone binges! Mental health gurus too, but they'll never say that!

As for poor hygiene habits. The fact that you're acknowledging them is a step up. So good for you!
Again, take baby steps. I don't think it's a good idea for me to share girl hygiene habits on this channel, so I'll just recommend that you check out this site:
https://bodymind.com/10-personal-hygiene-practices-for-teen-girls/
https://tampax.co.uk/en-gb/period-health/feminine-hygiene-tips/

I am not a pro at any of this stuff. I speak purely from experience and a bit of research. Best of luck to you!!
Reply 3
Original post by PiltoverQueen
Hi M
I run a mental health thread in the mental health section here called Weekly wins and woes. You can check it out if you like

I can relate to the bad eating habits. My parents taught me how to cook during my early teens so even if they weren't around I could always make myself some sweet and sugary treat. I understand the feeling of not being able to leave food on the plate, regardless of it's quantity. You'll eat now and then later feel ashamed. It's a sucky feeling. And it's not just the feeling. Being overweight generally really isn't the best position to be in health wise.

To help with my bad eating habits, I picked out a really small container for myself and promised that I wouldn't eat any more than the container could contain. I added intermittent fasting to that. I can eat as much as I like within a time frame. I try to only eat between 8am and 5pm, and I try to only eat 4-5 container fulls. Ofcourse I forget sometimes. Or I can get hungry and go for seconds, or I'll see my family eating an extra something and want to join them. It's all ok. I'll just try again tomorrow.

As for your weight. Start slowly. I'm also trying to lose weight and the process is slow and frustrating. I've chosen to focus on just mobility and flexibility this year so I can get my body used to the work and I don't hurt myself later down the road. Here are some sites I use that could help you:
https://pilateslive.co.uk/easy-pilates-classes/
https://www.doyogawithme.com/yoga-classes?field_media_duration_value%5B4%5D=4&term_node_tid_depth%5B24%5D=24&term_node_tid_depth%5B25%5D=25&field_instructor_target_id=&style%5B30%5D=30&style%5B32%5D=32&style%5B33%5D=33&style%5B45%5D=45&field_subscribers_only_value=1&sort_by=created

I advise not letting your workouts go on for more that 1 hour, or you'll get bored and demotivated. Try to workout at least 3 times a week. Don't push yourself too much. Take baby steps (they're more enjoyable) and stick to your level until you feel it get too easy. I'm a beginner too!

People constantly recommend going on all sorts of diets but they never account for those who's diet is whatever their parents buy. So don't bother with that stuff if you can't change it. Eat what you like in smaller portions in a given amount of time (8am-5pm is my time frame, figure out yours)

Everyone binges! Mental health gurus too, but they'll never say that!

As for poor hygiene habits. The fact that you're acknowledging them is a step up. So good for you!
Again, take baby steps. I don't think it's a good idea for me to share girl hygiene habits on this channel, so I'll just recommend that you check out this site:
https://bodymind.com/10-personal-hygiene-practices-for-teen-girls/
https://tampax.co.uk/en-gb/period-health/feminine-hygiene-tips/

I am not a pro at any of this stuff. I speak purely from experience and a bit of research. Best of luck to you!!

Wow this is very helpful. Thank youuu
Original post by rodiane17
Wow this is very helpful. Thank youuu

I'm glad you appreciate it.
Feel free to check out Weekly wins and woes on the mental health channel for more advice
Reply 5
Your post reminded me of an interview I heard on radio 4 recently. The interviewee Katriona O'Sullivan wrote a book called POOR, which she talks about in the interview. I appreciate that your background may be very different to the author but there feels to be a resonance. Hope you find it helpful.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0fqdtmf
(edited 10 months ago)
i read that you see food and want to finish it

could you avoid places that serve large portions or use small plates when you eat?

my skin became clearer after i decreased sugar intake

you might want to eat at specific times, for example at 12:00 each day. if you don't feel hungry, don't eat :smile:
you can also skip breakfast if you don't feel hungry in the morning

Quick Reply

Latest