The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Haha JupiterSunshine, I know what you mean. I usually have two variety packs mixed together, and that's like 250 cal without milk already, right there - and it's like 2/3 of a bowl!

Oh, on a rack of ribs? A portion size is 2 (medium portion) to 3 (large portion) of barbecue ribs, apparently.

Reply 41
Oh, and if you stick to the stated portion size on the tub of vanilla, chocolate or strawberry (plain, no other toppings/added bits and bobs) haagen dazs ice cream it's the equivalent of the "ball" part of a small lightbulb. If you decide to get one with nuts, chocolate chips or whatever, it's deceptively even smaller.

Ben and Jerry's 500ml tubs apparently contain "over four" portions, with one portion being between 290-330 calories. Consuming an entire tub would set you back 1100 calories and up! :eek:
Reply 42
Its strange but every time I'm reading this thread I'm always eating :tongue:
Reply 43
Original post by TotoMimo
Oh, and if you stick to the stated portion size on the tub of vanilla, chocolate or strawberry (plain, no other toppings/added bits and bobs) haagen dazs ice cream it's the equivalent of the "ball" part of a small lightbulb. If you decide to get one with nuts, chocolate chips or whatever, it's deceptively even smaller.

Ben and Jerry's 500ml tubs apparently contain "over four" portions, with one portion being between 290-330 calories. Consuming an entire tub would set you back 1100 calories and up! :eek:

Yeah but when I'm eating Ben and Jerrys, the amount of calories and how fat it will make isn't generally on my mind :p:
Reply 44
Original post by 22KT22
Yeah but when I'm eating Ben and Jerrys, the amount of calories and how fat it will make isn't generally on my mind :p:

Haha, yeah, but for definite, I don't know a single person that buys a standard tub of Ben and Jerrys and takes less than a quarter of the tub as a "serving" for their 300 cals-worth "portion". In fact, my sister and her fiance share a tub on the couch with two spoons (and I'm pretty sure she gets the lion's share; she's pretty ferocious on the ol' Ben and Jerrys!).
Reply 45
HOW MUCH ICE CREAM CAN PEOPLE EAT?!

As a sort of opposite to most of this thread...

Porridge oats. Apparently a serving with water should be 50g, I manage around 35g every morning because 50 seems like a scary number when you see how much it expands in water. It really needs a little milk though, the serving might be lower cal with water, but also lower taste.
Reply 46
Antiaris, that's probably a blessing in disguise. But that said, Porridge is one of the few things I'd agree with you on; 50g is usually a pretty beastin' portion.

One thing that's shockingly small for a portion is usually the likes of Muesli.

The picture below is the weighed recommended "portion" of Swiss-style Muesli:

Reply 47
Same with Granola! It then gets worse with Granola though, your eyes then skim down the values... high cal, not much tin the bowl, sugary as a chuppa chupp and fat values ain't giving much hope. Better to simply sprinkle it over yogurt as a flavouring...
Reply 48
I noticed exactly the same today when I had a bottle of Dr Pepper. 58% of my daily sugar in one go!
I've never looked at a recommended portion size for anything... Is this bad? :s-smilie:
I often eat meals for 3 or 4 by myself, I have a massive appetite
Reply 51
to be fair the serving sizes are spot on

you're just supposed to have 4 of them :ninja:
Original post by T-Hill
I noticed exactly the same today when I had a bottle of Dr Pepper. 58% of my daily sugar in one go!

always have diet drinks or it just tastes too sweet for me. If I have normal coke I can feel the horrid sugar on my teeth for ages until I brush my teeth, its disgustingly sweet. Fanta's even worse though
Reply 53
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
always have diet drinks or it just tastes too sweet for me. If I have normal coke I can feel the horrid sugar on my teeth for ages until I brush my teeth, its disgustingly sweet. Fanta's even worse though

Go for cinema soft drinks!

So watered down you can't TASTE the sugar!

:biggrin:
Seed Sensations bread with olive oil butter is amazing but a massive 320 cals per slice. Which is annoying because brown, nutty bread and olive butter is considered to be the healthy alternative. Don't get me started on Weetabix either!
Reply 55
Original post by Mujeriego
Seed Sensations bread with olive oil butter is amazing but a massive 320 cals per slice. Which is annoying because brown, nutty bread and olive butter is considered to be the healthy alternative. Don't get me started on Weetabix either!

Weetabix? 2 biscuits is a serving at like 130 kcal, that's pretty damned decent I think. Two weetabix plus a greek yoghurt and blueberries is less than 200 calories for a breakfast that keeps you full for what seems like an eternity! Well... for me, anyway. My mum, I know, only eats one, but I have a (fairly rotund) cousin who can eat up to five for his breakfast, and it gives me the groo watching him putting them into a MIXING BOWL with his PINT of milk.
I just ate two full McDonalds Big Mac meals in one go. LOL.

I feel great.
Reply 57
Original post by Chemist548
I just ate two full McDonalds Big Mac meals in one go. LOL.

I feel great.

Wh... I don't know what to say. I can't even eat FRIES with my Big Mac if I have one through fear of gastric explosion.
Tbh portion sizes are usually right for me :smile: I love food but I can rarely eat a lot in one go, I eat a little then stop then eat more later.
When I cook for myself I tend to split it into small bits and eat them throughout the day rather than just sitting down and eating everything.
If I do eat more, I stay fuller for longer but I just feel really unpleasantly sick.

Have on occasion consumed an entire tub of Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough in one sitting.

Once in a while really won't do you much harm; I'm considerably underweight, and occasionally over-eating unhelthy food seems to have minimal effect on me. I think we shouldn't worry too mcuh about all theses portion sizes, they scare the hell out of me, since I simply eat what I want (with no thought to size) when I'm hungry.

Have decided will disregard 'portion sizes'. Intuitive eating. It's working so far :tongue:

Latest