The Student Room Group

!HELP! Germany - University application advice for UK student.

Basically Im currently on a year out of education and am in the process of applying to Uni - both in the UK (which I have already done) and now trying to focus on applying to one's in Germany ( as I am half German and think its a fantastic opportunity to try a new challenge! )....

HOWEVER - There are quite a few questions I have which I can't seem to find answers to, despite extensive research on the web ( DAAD website / Goethe Institute website / studienwahl website etc ) - SO I hope some of you can help!

1) I need to obviosuly take the TestDaf exam which I am hoping to do in June this year (after completing a 4 week language and preparation course)... what I want to know is whether I can apply to Uni already without having yet done the exam ( and then just send them the certificate if/when I pass)...

2) Secondly I have read that its on average about 500 euros per semester (term) ..... but is that for Germans or also for EU foreigners? And if it is just this little for German residents - whether having a German passport (as well as my British one) will help me in any way ( in terms of fees) ? NB: I have never lived in Germany but my dad is german and I have family there.

3) I know that with most Uni's (unlike the UK ucas system) you just apply directly.... but is there like a certain system for foreign students applying?

4) does anyone know the general deadline for applying to German Uni's for this year (2011)?

I think thats all for now! - ANY help/advice is HUGELY appreciated !!!
Reply 1
I am currently in year 12 and am also interested in studying in Germany. I was wondering where one could arrive upon information about applications etc. which provide the text in english because my german is not up to the standard that I can interpret long texts easily. As a non-native speaker studying German A Level, I was curious at the possibilities of unviersity prospects.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
Reply 2
1) I need to obviosuly take the TestDaf exam which I am hoping to do in June this year (after completing a 4 week language and preparation course)... what I want to know is whether I can apply to Uni already without having yet done the exam ( and then just send them the certificate if/when I pass)...

Depends on uni, but usually you should be able to get a "conditional offer". Just call the uni in advance.

2) Secondly I have read that its on average about 500 euros per semester (term) ..... but is that for Germans or also for EU foreigners? And if it is just this little for German residents - whether having a German passport (as well as my British one) will help me in any way ( in terms of fees) ? NB: I have never lived in Germany but my dad is german and I have family there.

It's 500 for everyone, depending on how big your family is or where you want to study, you may not pay fees. Eg. Rheinland Pfalz and Hessen don't have fees, in Baden-Württemberg and Bayern you will be exempted if your parents have 3 or more children.
You are eligible for BaföG as a EU citizen anyways, so no, there are no big financiel advantages. Maybe if you plan to get a student loan, but I don't know for sure.

3) I know that with most Uni's (unlike the UK ucas system) you just apply directly.... but is there like a certain system for foreign students applying?

No, you apply like everyone else, the application sheet may be a little bit longer, though. The ministry of education plans to establish a central selection system in the near future.

4) does anyone know the general deadline for applying to German Uni's for this year (2011)?

Deadline for the summer semester usually is January 15th, winter semester is July 15th. If you want to study a course which doesn't require taking part in the application process you can simply go to your uni and register until the first week of the semester is over.

This information is what I know from my uni. In Germany many things vary from uni to uni so don't take it as 100% true.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by SillyString
I am currently in year 12 and am also interested in studying in Germany. I was wondering where one could arrive upon information about applications etc. which provide the text in english because my german is not up to the standard that I can interpret long texts easily. As a non-native speaker studying German A Level, I was curious at the possibilities of unviersity prospects.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Most unis do have English versions of their websites. There is a lot of information on the DAADs site: http://www.daad.de/deutschland/index.en.html
Original post by Emma T-W

You should ask them directly, also don't forget to check, if your A Level is sufficient. (Can depend from LAnd to Land. For some hints check this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=29237388&highlight=Abitur

Well, as stated above it depends on the Bundesland and your situation, but be prepared to pay for all things, because Germany isn't very generous (apart from the possibilty for nearly all Abiturienten to study at a decent university, fair enough) with funding your studies. Student loans are different from the UK ones, unless you are lucky enough to get BAFÖG.

No, foreign students take the same way as "locals".

Sometimes the deadlines are different, also because you already have your A Level, which makes you probably a "Altabiturient", but usually that's only the case with the "Hochschulstart-subjects", e.g. Medicine or Psychology. Some special courses might have earlier deadlines than 15.July/15.January and some Universities wille expect you to have done internships (e.g. Engineering), certain languages (e.g. History) or simply attend an entrance examina. And be careful, even some courses have no entrance requirement they may expect you to apply until the 15th.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Thank you all so much for your replies - This is all really really helpful information!!
You're welcome. Don't mind to ask if you have any further questions.
Reply 7
I'm living in berlin and have EU friends currently applying for uni. They're all going through www.uni-assist.de which seems to be the best (free, i think) way to apply as a foreign student. I actually thought it was the only way to apply as a foreign student. They'll translate your exam grades and make sure everything is included in the application as it can be quite confusing!

Also, with TestDAF it shouldn't be a problem I know other people doing exactly the same. If you've got anything saying you're going to be doing the course, i'd send that with the application form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending