The Student Room Group

UK citizen who lives in Italy applying for student finance

Hi
I'm an English citizen who has lived and grown up in Italy and is now applying for student finance tuition fees so I can start studying in September at Durham University. I have applied online for student finance and the form tells me that my application is incomplete because I have not provided a UK bank account and a NINO. I have applied for a National Insurance number so fingers crossed, but I cannot open a UK bank account because they require evidence of at least 3 years residence in the UK, which I don't have. I have rung the student finance hotline, and upon my insistence, she confirmed that I shouldn't need a UK bank account because I'm not asking for maintenance; however, the form still says my application is incomplete.

Any advice??? Thank you
Original post by kouvola
Hi
I'm an English citizen who has lived and grown up in Italy and is now applying for student finance tuition fees so I can start studying in September at Durham University. I have applied online for student finance and the form tells me that my application is incomplete because I have not provided a UK bank account and a NINO. I have applied for a National Insurance number so fingers crossed, but I cannot open a UK bank account because they require evidence of at least 3 years residence in the UK, which I don't have. I have rung the student finance hotline, and upon my insistence, she confirmed that I shouldn't need a UK bank account because I'm not asking for maintenance; however, the form still says my application is incomplete.

Any advice??? Thank you

Hi there,

Did you apply for Eu funding for Tuition Fees only?

Thanks,
Claire
Original post by kouvola
Hi

Any advice??? Thank you

Hi, I can’t help with with student finance but for opening a bank account you definitely don’t need 3 years of residence in the uk. When I moved to uni I opened my bank account almost immediately, I think most international students/uk students living abroad managed to do the same. Also some online banks allows you to open a uk bank account (I think revolut gives you an uk bank account but I’d suggest to double check)
Original post by kouvola
Hi

Any advice??? Thank you

Hi there, What funding have you applied for? Thanks, Angela
Reply 4
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi there, What funding have you applied for? Thanks, Angela

Hi Angela, Sorry for the late reply. I've applied for a tuition fee loan only from the Student Finance Company. I don't see why they would need my bank account anyway seeing as the money for tuition goes straight to the university.
Reply 5
Original post by XanaXoid
Hi, I can’t help with with student finance but for opening a bank account you definitely don’t need 3 years of residence in the uk. When I moved to uni I opened my bank account almost immediately, I think most international students/uk students living abroad managed to do the same. Also some online banks allows you to open a uk bank account (I think revolut gives you an uk bank account but I’d suggest to double check)

Hi XanaXoid and thanks for your reply. I tried all the major banks for a student basic account (HSBC, Barclays, Nat West) but they wouldn't let me open an account unless I had a UK address that predated opening by at least three months (some said 3 years, others 3 months). They will open accounts for other countries of foreign residence (Spain, Germany, France for instance), but Italy seems to be a sticking point. Italy is not only the drop down list for any of the major banks. But I have taken your advice for Revolut and perhaps that might work.
Reply 6
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi there,

Did you apply for Eu funding for Tuition Fees only?

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire and sorry for replying late. I applied for UK funding (Student Finance Company) for tuition fees only.
Original post by kouvola
Hi XanaXoid and thanks for your reply. I tried all the major banks for a student basic account (HSBC, Barclays, Nat West) but they wouldn't let me open an account unless I had a UK address that predated opening by at least three months (some said 3 years, others 3 months). They will open accounts for other countries of foreign residence (Spain, Germany, France for instance), but Italy seems to be a sticking point. Italy is not only the drop down list for any of the major banks. But I have taken your advice for Revolut and perhaps that might work.

Hi, genuinely never heard of the 3 years/months policy. My suggestion is to go to a branch once in Durham and ask to open a bank account (all of them are next to each other so you can easily go to all of them).
Original post by kouvola
Hi Claire and sorry for replying late. I applied for UK funding (Student Finance Company) for tuition fees only.

Hi there, We would not require your bank details to be provided unless you were being awarded a Bursary from your university. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending