The Student Room Group

Universities for mechatronics or robotics

Hi!
I'm a year 13 student on the verge of making university choices on my UCAS application. I'm interested in studying mechatronics or robotics engineering and am applying to Oxford for their engineering degree.
However, I'm debating on the other choices. I was considering UCL, Cardiff and Manchester, but would like to look at other options.
What university would you recommend for a mechatronics or robotics degree?
Reply 1
Do not consider Cardiff (far from industry, not that great uni) and Sheffield might be a good option just saying they have a good reputation for mechatronics.

Also, you must consider Loughborough and Southampton, as they have one of the best mechatronics/mechanical departments in UK.

I do not know your predicted grades, so I cant comment more. But here are some suggestions
Original post by Ndaima
Do not consider Cardiff (far from industry, not that great uni) and Sheffield might be a good option just saying they have a good reputation for mechatronics.

Also, you must consider Loughborough and Southampton, as they have one of the best mechatronics/mechanical departments in UK.

I do not know your predicted grades, so I cant comment more. But here are some suggestions

Thanks a lot, I've looked at more Unis now and am considering Southampton and will do for Loughborough as well!
My predicted grades are most likely gonna be the following if it helps
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*/A
Physics - A*/A
Further Maths - A
Reply 3
Awesome, you will have 4 A-levels along with Further Maths and that A and A*s in them, with a good personal statement no university would dare to reject you.

I just wanted to give you a suggestion from experience and peer friends, why don't you opt for mechanical engineering/automotive/aerospace.

To be fair, the UK's robotic and mechatronics industry isnt well off and it is still in its infancy stage you cannot expect great pay or growth in this country unless you move out. The UK is not a technological world power as it was.
The US, China, India, and Germany have taken over this industry.

You can see the majority of the robotics and mechatronics industry in the UK, is either dominated by Indian companies or Chinese companies along with the Americans.

You should try Mechanical engineering, they still have good career growth in the UK. The UK is also falling short of engineers.

Original post by AsgardianDemigod
Thanks a lot, I've looked at more Unis now and am considering Southampton and will do for Loughborough as well!
My predicted grades are most likely gonna be the following if it helps
Maths - A*
Chemistry - A*/A
Physics - A*/A
Further Maths - A
Original post by Ndaima
Awesome, you will have 4 A-levels along with Further Maths and that A and A*s in them, with a good personal statement no university would dare to reject you.

I just wanted to give you a suggestion from experience and peer friends, why don't you opt for mechanical engineering/automotive/aerospace.

To be fair, the UK's robotic and mechatronics industry isnt well off and it is still in its infancy stage you cannot expect great pay or growth in this country unless you move out. The UK is not a technological world power as it was.
The US, China, India, and Germany have taken over this industry.

You can see the majority of the robotics and mechatronics industry in the UK, is either dominated by Indian companies or Chinese companies along with the Americans.

You should try Mechanical engineering, they still have good career growth in the UK. The UK is also falling short of engineers.

Yeah that may be true and I was initially going to apply for aerospace! I understand that you're just trying to be helpful, but when I went to open days (to loads of unis), their mechanics or aerospace course didn't really apeal to me.
Also, I was actually considering moving out anyway so your advice about countries which are good for robotics/ mechatronics would be quite helpful, so thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest