The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Hiya! I'm really interested in Classics but, and with no exaggeration, there was only one person in the entire country who taught it; and she's left now. I'm a straight A* student in English Literature (but I go by the IB system so-- who knows?), and am writing my Extended Essay on how Donna Tartt subverts the hero in The Secret History, and its relation to Euripides' The Bakkhai.

I'm going to Bryanston this summer, too, so I'm really really excited to meet other classicists. They're very few and far between, so this thread sounds like an absolute dream! I'd love to meet every one of you :smile:
Original post by Coidy1
Hi fellow Classicists, I am studying Greek A2 as well as Latin A2 and AS. What texts are you studying? I am very happy to exchange notes with people if you happen to study the same as me :wink:

I'm reading Iliad 22 and Lysias against simon for my set books. Homer is going ok but I'm really concerned about Lysias, does anyone have any notes or anything? Will post some stuff for Homer when I'm finished. Nice to find some fellow Greek people here, it's a bit lonely without a teacher!:smile:
There already is a TSR Classics Society - so I'm going to merge this with that :smile:

Also - Hello! I am a 2nd year Classics undergrad!
Original post by TheClassicsGeek
I'm reading Iliad 22 and Lysias against simon for my set books. Homer is going ok but I'm really concerned about Lysias, does anyone have any notes or anything? Will post some stuff for Homer when I'm finished. Nice to find some fellow Greek people here, it's a bit lonely without a teacher!:smile:

Hi,

I'm an A2 Classical Greek student but I did Iliad 22 and Lysias Against Simon last year.
I recommend as follows...

Lysias Against Simon:
For vocab. use this set that me and my classmate set up on Quizlet last year:
https://quizlet.com/83130604/lysias-against-simon-vocabulary-as-greek-2015-flash-cards/

Iliad 22:
I made this set for recognising chunks of Greek so that, when you get a passage in an exam, you know where you are in the story:
https://quizlet.com/61886113/homer-iliad-22-flash-cards/

I never got round to making a set of chunks of Greek for the Lysias but I suppose that that might be something that you could consider doing yourself; always better to make study cards yourself as they sink in better.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need any more help,

One-eyed Locrian

Ps. Well done for attempting this without a tutor! I don't know where I'd start! (Probably Dr John Taylor's book- if you haven't already got it).
Is anybody here attending the KCL taster session(s) in Classics and Ancient History?
If anyone is looking for a way to boost their Latin or Ancient Greek, or get started with learning either of them - then I would highly recommend the JACT courses :smile:

They offer incredibly good teaching for two weeks over the summer, with accommodation and meals included in the price. I went on the JACT Greek Summer School at Bryanston two years ago and loved it! It is hard work but you will be amazed how far you progress in the time period, and you meet so many like-minded lovers of Classics!

I will be going on the Latin Summer School at Wells this year, and it has extra perks like trips to Bath and Wales - so if you come you get the extra perk of those :smile:

Here is the link to the latin school - www.latincamp.co.uk and the greek - http://www.greeksummerschool.org
anyone know the questions from 2015 paper Virgil and the world of the hero? thanks
Original post by big-bang-theory
With the impending death of the previous one having lived out its full 500 page tenure. I hereby declare that the republic is dissolved and I am the new emperor of the classics society in this thread...

JOIN US

Will you manage!
Original post by Rodelix
Will you manage!

Good lord, there's life in this thread?
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Good lord, there's life in this thread?

I'll try my best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending