The Student Room Group

Anthropology, Classical Studies, and English in a Personal Statement?

Would it be a bad idea to write a personal statement that talks about anthropology, classical studies and english to apply to this mix of courses?

Classical Studies and English
Classical Archaeology and Civilisation
Classics and Ancient World
Anthropology and Archaeology
Anthropology

I'm mostly interested in studying classical studies and english, but I have a huge chunk of extracurriculars that are geared towards anthropology as well as english, with close to nothing on classical studies. Thanks guys!
(edited 4 months ago)
I would probably concentrate on classics and archaeology.
Original post by mariaws2358
Would it be a bad idea to write a personal statement that talks about anthropology, classical studies and english to apply to this mix of courses?

Classical Studies and English
Classical Archaeology and Civilisation
Classics and Ancient World
Anthropology and Archaeology
Anthropology

I'm mostly interested in studying classical studies and english, but I have a huge chunk of extracurriculars that are geared towards anthropology as well as english, with close to nothing on classical studies. Thanks guys!

I generally wouldn't recommend applying to such a broad range of courses. That said there probably is a theoretical possibility where you can write something broadly relevant to them all in terms of the specific anthropological theory approaches used in archaeology, English and Classical literature analysis. I think really though it'd be hard to really make it a compelling PS for all of them and it would be rather broad and perhaps a touch superficial (also probably really a bit dated for archaeology and anthropology as I think more, newer theory is used in those areas that isn't applied so much to literary analysis?).

I'd probably suggest swapping the last two choices for two more Classics oriented courses, and write a broadly Classics focused PS.
I have only just noticed your primary interests. With that in mind, you should follow artful_lounger's advise.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
I generally wouldn't recommend applying to such a broad range of courses. That said there probably is a theoretical possibility where you can write something broadly relevant to them all in terms of the specific anthropological theory approaches used in archaeology, English and Classical literature analysis. I think really though it'd be hard to really make it a compelling PS for all of them and it would be rather broad and perhaps a touch superficial (also probably really a bit dated for archaeology and anthropology as I think more, newer theory is used in those areas that isn't applied so much to literary analysis?).

I'd probably suggest swapping the last two choices for two more Classics oriented courses, and write a broadly Classics focused PS.

Thank you so much, this was really helpful :smile: If you wouldn't mind my asking, do you there would be any way of incorporating/ any reason to incorporate these anthro extracurriculars: president of law and anthropology society, TedX youth speech on cultural relativism and having opinions on controversial issues/being aware of world issues (I spent so much time on these I could throw up and cry 😭) Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by random_matt
I have only just noticed your primary interests. With that in mind, you should follow artful_lounger's advise.

🫡.
Thank you so much, this was really helpful :smile: If you wouldn't mind my asking, do you there would be any way of incorporating/ any reason to incorporate these anthro extracurriculars: president of law and anthropology society, TedX youth speech on cultural relativism and having opinions on controversial issues/being aware of world issues (I spent so much time on these I could throw up and cry 😭) Thanks

I'm sure those things could be linked to the role of dialectics and politics in Classical studies somehow?
Original post by SilverPebble
I'm sure those things could be linked to the role of dialectics and politics in Classical studies somehow?

If it helps, here's what ChatGPT suggests!

Writing a personal statement for an application to study classical studies can be enriched by the experiences you've mentioned. Here's how you can use each experience:
1. *President of Law and Anthropology Society*: This role demonstrates leadership, organizational skills, and a deep interest in social sciences. You can connect this to classical studies by discussing how ancient legal systems and cultural practices influenced modern law and societal norms. Highlight any specific projects or initiatives you led that had a historical or cultural focus.
2. *TEDx Youth Speech on Cultural Relativism*: Speaking at a TEDx event showcases your ability to engage with complex ideas and communicate them effectively to a broad audience. In your personal statement, you can reflect on how this experience deepened your understanding of cultural relativism, a concept that is pivotal when studying ancient civilizations. Discuss how this understanding could enrich your approach to classical studies, especially in interpreting the actions and beliefs of ancient peoples within their historical context.
3. *Having Opinions on Controversial Issues/Being Aware of World Issues*: This indicates a willingness to engage with complex, often uncomfortable topics and a broad awareness of global dynamics. In classical studies, such an approach is valuable for examining historical events and societal changes. You can write about how this awareness influences your perspective on historical events and your understanding of their modern implications, especially those rooted in ancient history or philosophy.
In your personal statement, weave these experiences into a narrative that demonstrates your passion for classical studies, your critical thinking skills, and your ability to draw connections between the past and the present. Show how these experiences have prepared you to contribute to and benefit from a program in classical studies. Remember, it's not just about listing your experiences, but also about reflecting on what you've learned from them and how they've shaped your interest in the field.

I think the "president of law and anthropology society" is vague enough that it's fine to mention briefly but even if applying to law and/or anthropology I don't think would be a focal point anyway. The kind of thing you might mention briefly along with idk, sporting or performing arts activities/achievements, for a general academic degree.

"Having opinions on controversial issues/being aware of world issues" is so general that it's not worth mentioning at all I think? Besides which, what exactly constitutes a "controversial" issue? At what point does an issue start being a "world" issue rather than a local one? I mean for me even the very framing of it is a little...questionable. Would not focus on that at all as far as applying to uni goes, although it's fine to explore things in that manner in general (but I would definitely recommend you carefully evaluate any assumptions you make in the process and consider how your experiences may or may not limit your interpretations of the topic - and how others may see it in a different light).

In terms of a "TedX speech" although the actual concept seems weird to me, considerations of cultural relativism are essential in approaching ancient cultures for certain. It's essential to recognise these ancient cultures are fundamentally different to ours (I think Nietzsche made a point about this but I can't recall the quote to find it) and recognise we are approaching them from a necessarily etic perspective as it's not possible to approach it from an emic perspective - those cultures do not exist now and whatever remains of them have been inevitably changed over time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending