The Student Room Group

oxford classics offer holders 2024

hi there!! i wanted to talk to some of the other classics offer holders for this year :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aaaaaaaaaa2006
hi there!! i wanted to talk to some of the other classics offer holders for this year :smile:

congrats on your offer!! I've seen so few classics applicants on here for all unis. I'm currently waiting to hear back from cambridge however I'm not overly hopeful, I didnt really prepare for my test or interviews so only myself to blame however I think st Andrews is my first choice either way
Original post by username_66
congrats on your offer!! I've seen so few classics applicants on here for all unis. I'm currently waiting to hear back from cambridge however I'm not overly hopeful, I didnt really prepare for my test or interviews so only myself to blame however I think st Andrews is my first choice either way

good luck!! i didn't apply for st. andrew's but i think it's the best in the country for classics, right?
good luck!! i didn't apply for st. andrew's but i think it's the best in the country for classics, right?

I think it's defo up there. Im assuming Oxford is your top choice?
Original post by username_66
I think it's defo up there. Im assuming Oxford is your top choice?

yeah!!
Reply 5

hi!! congrats on your offer, i got mine for st anne’s. i’m surprised i managed to get an offer at all because i felt so unprepared for the exams and interviews haha
Reply 6
Hiya, well done on the offer!!! I got one from St. Hughes for classics with English. Is anyone else doing the four year course (learning ancient Greek or Latin from scratch)? And does anyone have any general classics advice/ book recs? I've never really studied classics in school, so I'm getting a little nervous!
Original post by aeebi
Hiya, well done on the offer!!! I got one from St. Hughes for classics with English. Is anyone else doing the four year course (learning ancient Greek or Latin from scratch)? And does anyone have any general classics advice/ book recs? I've never really studied classics in school, so I'm getting a little nervous!

hello! posting anonymously for privacy but i’m a classics offer holder at cambridge. i believe you at oxford will only need to learn latin- greek isn’t required for you. latin is an absolutely beautiful language and here are some things to do:

do not do the duolingo course. it’s very bad. you will be confused

have a look at a basic grammar textbook (cambridge latin course might help? alternatively try a gcse one)

read around the subject; having a good knowledge of myths is useful for translations

read some history! spqr by mary beard is an excellent starter.

congratulations. classics is the most beautiful of disciplines and you’ll have fun with it, especially paired with english.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous #1

hello! posting anonymously for privacy but i’m a classics offer holder at cambridge. i believe you at oxford will only need to learn latin- greek isn’t required for you. latin is an absolutely beautiful language and here are some things to do:

do not do the duolingo course. it’s very bad. you will be confused

have a look at a basic grammar textbook (cambridge latin course might help? alternatively try a gcse one)

read around the subject; having a good knowledge of myths is useful for translations

read some history! spqr by mary beard is an excellent starter.

congratulations. classics is the most beautiful of disciplines and you’ll have fun with it, especially paired with english.

Hiya, thank you so much! I'll be definitely look into Mary Beard's stuff - I've heard so much about her but have never gotten round to reading anything. Roman history is definitely one of my weak points at well!
Original post by aeebi
Hiya, thank you so much! I'll be definitely look into Mary Beard's stuff - I've heard so much about her but have never gotten round to reading anything. Roman history is definitely one of my weak points at well!

i’m the polar opposite - roman history is my strongest point and i’m generally weaker on rome! if you’re interested in military stuff and politics, watch historia civilis’ videos for a nice intro and then maybe move onto some reading 🙂
Original post by aeebi

woo hii!! i’m also doing classics ii, starting with latin, though i do intend to pick up greek later!!

and yes i have some!! i’m not entirely sure what your knowledge of classics is so i just chucked everything i thought of on here

don’t believe the internet about myths (esp not places like tumblr)

natalie haynes (author, comedian, classicist): she does the stand up for the classics podcast (high key recommend the odyssey and iliad episodes) & she’s an incredible writer (pandora’s jar (women) & divine might (goddesses) are her non fiction books on myth; stone blind (medusa) & a thousand ships are her fiction!! she has some more but these are the ones i’ve read) note: she’s greek focused, esp. on women

SPQR by mary beard is excellent for rome!! 10/10 no notes

the death of caesar by barry strauss is an EXCELLENT book on, well, caesar’s death!! it’s laid out in a way that makes it easy to understand all the moving pieces and actually makes it pretty suspenseful!!

absolutely adore the drunk mythology podcast on spotify. it’s not all greek and roman stuff but they clearly love it & they’re hilarious!!

in terms of learning languages i’m pretty sure they walk you through it when we get there but i did a summer school on latin using the cambridge latin course which was super fun & i 100% recommend if you want a headstart!!

i would avoid madeleine miller tbh? i’ve read her circe and, like, it’s well written but perhaps not best for any actual classical study or perspective on the characters. i’ve heard similar criticism for her song of achilles (i.e. rounding all the edges off characters and essentially uwuifying them) but it’s def fun to read if you want!!

my classics teacher recommends silence of the girls by pat barker but i haven’t read it yet!

robert harris has some good historical fiction set in rome!!

i’ve read a lot of stuff around the fall of rome & i’d recommend adrian goldsworthy, bryan ward-perkins, and peter heather’s stuff based on what i read around that!!

honestly, if there’s something you’re interested in, try looking on jstor? i love love love roman lead poisoning and there are articles on there about that

i’m ngl i adore sophocles’ oedipus trilogy (still can’t decide if my fave is oedipus the king or antigone)

ovid fan here. would recommend!! you can get each book individually too!!

the odyssey & the iliad, naturally. i’ve read e. v. rieu’s translations but i’ve heard excellent things about robert fagles’ and emily wilson’s too!!

world’s biggest aeneid fan. aeneas my blorbo my guy my man i am his defence lawyer lover and he is my son. i have david west’s translation!!

i’ve also read frogs (aristophanes) & bacchae (euripides) (both featuring dionysus, the first being a comedy and the latter being a tragedy) ((the concept of dionysus’ actor wearing a mask set in a serene smile throughout all of bacchae haunts me)

ucl & kcl’s annual classics plays!! i saw plato’s symposium at ucl last year (and heard excellent things abt kcl’s iphigenia) and am seeing bacchae at ucl this year!!

i saw phaedra at the national theatre and it was terrible but i read an online translation of (seneca’s) phaedra (as opposed to euripides’ hippolytus i or hippolytus ii, telling the story of the same myth) and loved it so who’s to say

learn the difference between classical and modern morals and don’t try and apply modern morals to classical texts!! this one is really important

familiarise yourself with the timeline of ancient greece (i.e. the difference between ancient classical hellenic roman etc)

learn the gods!! you don’t need to know all of them off by heart but knowing the olympian gods and at least having heard of some of the other ones is helpful!!

if you just want the gist of a myth of character genuinely just look on wikipedia. it’ll be way simpler and will at least give you a grounding if you want to do more research!!

sappho my love my life!! anne carson’s sappho translation “if not, winter” has gotta be up there in my faves (greek on one page english on the other) and it haunts me always

quite frankly i think finding yourself a guy (gender neutral) to be obsessed with and then learning everything about said guy is very important

remember to point and laugh and make fun of historical people for being stupid, i 100% guarantee it will improve everything

remember that different translations will tell you different things (in the words of natalie haynes: “good at shouting” is sometimes written as “master of the war cry”, and quite frankly those are not the same thing)

sorry for the horrendously long message i am normal about classics

Original post by aeebi

if you’re interested, my favourite parts are pompeii & vesuvius, hannibal’s invasion of rome, lead poisoning, and the death of caesar!! they can be some nice places to start because i just think they’re absolutely fascinating :3
Reply 12

woo hii!! i’m also doing classics ii, starting with latin, though i do intend to pick up greek later!!

and yes i have some!! i’m not entirely sure what your knowledge of classics is so i just chucked everything i thought of on here

don’t believe the internet about myths (esp not places like tumblr)

natalie haynes (author, comedian, classicist): she does the stand up for the classics podcast (high key recommend the odyssey and iliad episodes) & she’s an incredible writer (pandora’s jar (women) & divine might (goddesses) are her non fiction books on myth; stone blind (medusa) & a thousand ships are her fiction!! she has some more but these are the ones i’ve read) note: she’s greek focused, esp. on women

SPQR by mary beard is excellent for rome!! 10/10 no notes

the death of caesar by barry strauss is an EXCELLENT book on, well, caesar’s death!! it’s laid out in a way that makes it easy to understand all the moving pieces and actually makes it pretty suspenseful!!

absolutely adore the drunk mythology podcast on spotify. it’s not all greek and roman stuff but they clearly love it & they’re hilarious!!

in terms of learning languages i’m pretty sure they walk you through it when we get there but i did a summer school on latin using the cambridge latin course which was super fun & i 100% recommend if you want a headstart!!

i would avoid madeleine miller tbh? i’ve read her circe and, like, it’s well written but perhaps not best for any actual classical study or perspective on the characters. i’ve heard similar criticism for her song of achilles (i.e. rounding all the edges off characters and essentially uwuifying them) but it’s def fun to read if you want!!

my classics teacher recommends silence of the girls by pat barker but i haven’t read it yet!

robert harris has some good historical fiction set in rome!!

i’ve read a lot of stuff around the fall of rome & i’d recommend adrian goldsworthy, bryan ward-perkins, and peter heather’s stuff based on what i read around that!!

honestly, if there’s something you’re interested in, try looking on jstor? i love love love roman lead poisoning and there are articles on there about that

i’m ngl i adore sophocles’ oedipus trilogy (still can’t decide if my fave is oedipus the king or antigone)

ovid fan here. would recommend!! you can get each book individually too!!

the odyssey & the iliad, naturally. i’ve read e. v. rieu’s translations but i’ve heard excellent things about robert fagles’ and emily wilson’s too!!

world’s biggest aeneid fan. aeneas my blorbo my guy my man i am his defence lawyer lover and he is my son. i have david west’s translation!!

i’ve also read frogs (aristophanes) & bacchae (euripides) (both featuring dionysus, the first being a comedy and the latter being a tragedy) ((the concept of dionysus’ actor wearing a mask set in a serene smile throughout all of bacchae haunts me)

ucl & kcl’s annual classics plays!! i saw plato’s symposium at ucl last year (and heard excellent things abt kcl’s iphigenia) and am seeing bacchae at ucl this year!!

i saw phaedra at the national theatre and it was terrible but i read an online translation of (seneca’s) phaedra (as opposed to euripides’ hippolytus i or hippolytus ii, telling the story of the same myth) and loved it so who’s to say

learn the difference between classical and modern morals and don’t try and apply modern morals to classical texts!! this one is really important

familiarise yourself with the timeline of ancient greece (i.e. the difference between ancient classical hellenic roman etc)

learn the gods!! you don’t need to know all of them off by heart but knowing the olympian gods and at least having heard of some of the other ones is helpful!!

if you just want the gist of a myth of character genuinely just look on wikipedia. it’ll be way simpler and will at least give you a grounding if you want to do more research!!

sappho my love my life!! anne carson’s sappho translation “if not, winter” has gotta be up there in my faves (greek on one page english on the other) and it haunts me always

quite frankly i think finding yourself a guy (gender neutral) to be obsessed with and then learning everything about said guy is very important

remember to point and laugh and make fun of historical people for being stupid, i 100% guarantee it will improve everything

remember that different translations will tell you different things (in the words of natalie haynes: “good at shouting” is sometimes written as “master of the war cry”, and quite frankly those are not the same thing)

sorry for the horrendously long message i am normal about classics

No omg I love the advice! Honestly your message has me so excited for next year!! (provided I get my grades...) I think you're so right about the morality thing, I did some reading a while ago on characterisation in classical literature versus in modern so maybe I'll pick that back up again? I think the idea about finding a person to fixate on is so cool, definitely something I'm going to try!

If you get the chance Silence of the Girls is quite good, I managed to see Pat Barker at Hay one year and she had some really interesting ideas about Thetis and how how her grief works as an immortal.

Thank you so much for the response!!!
Original post by aeebi
No omg I love the advice! Honestly your message has me so excited for next year!! (provided I get my grades...) I think you're so right about the morality thing, I did some reading a while ago on characterisation in classical literature versus in modern so maybe I'll pick that back up again? I think the idea about finding a person to fixate on is so cool, definitely something I'm going to try!

If you get the chance Silence of the Girls is quite good, I managed to see Pat Barker at Hay one year and she had some really interesting ideas about Thetis and how how her grief works as an immortal.

Thank you so much for the response!!!

hell yeah!! moving silence of the girls up to the top of my to buy list >:3

and SAME I’M SO EXCITED. never been so motivated to study in my life >:3
Reply 14
Original post by aeebi

Hi - if you are looking for solid resources for starting on Greek and Latin from scratch look through an Instagram page called @Gartin4Kids. It is aim at providing a starting point at beginners. Have a look through the posts and there are loads of free courses highlighted. Good Luck !!
Reply 15
Original post by xochie
Hi - if you are looking for solid resources for starting on Greek and Latin from scratch look through an Instagram page called @Gartin4Kids. It is aim at providing a starting point at beginners. Have a look through the posts and there are loads of free courses highlighted. Good Luck !!

Sorry that should say @gratin4kids !!!
Original post by katezzz
hi!! congrats on your offer, i got mine for st anne’s. i’m surprised i managed to get an offer at all because i felt so unprepared for the exams and interviews haha

hey!!! sorry, i know this is a bit of a late reply, but i’ve also got a classics (with asian and middle eastern studies) offer from st anne’s! congratulations on your offer! are you doing the languages from scratch?
(edited 2 months ago)
why is the subject called classics? Is it to do with classical civilization?
Original post by Anonymous #2

a Classics degree focuses more on studying Latin and Ancient Greek -- it does of course involve elements of classciv but that's a separate degree where you don't necessarily learn the languages
Original post by Anonymous #2

classics like the classical world

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending